saver

problems with the os installation

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 pm

hello everyone, i have a problem each time i try to install for the first time the noobs os:
after the raspbian installation is completed, i get the "os installed successfully" message, and than i click ok;
after that, the screen goes black and nothing happens...
i waited an hour but the screen was still black, so i turned the raspberry off.
what can i do to get the installation completed and run the os?
thank you

B.Goode

Re: problems with the os installation

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:37 am

Maybe your display or monitor is compatible with the video settings used NOOBS, but not with Raspbian?

There is an option in NOOBS to select "HDMI safe mode" for the installed Operating System, by pressing the "2" key while the NOOBS Recovery Console is displayed. Does that change the behaviour of your system?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs#about
The NOOBS interface provides the following functionality:

Install: Installs the selected OSes onto your SD card. Changing this selection erases all OSes currently installed.
[ ... ]
Display Mode Selection: By default, NOOBS will output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution, even if no HDMI display is connected. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, press 1, 2, 3 or 4 on your keyboard to select HDMI preferred mode, HDMI safe mode, composite PAL mode or composite NTSC mode respectively.

Note that all user settings (language, keyboard layout, display mode) will persist between reboots and will also be automatically passed to the installed OSes. This means that if you can see the NOOBS interface on your display device then you should be able to see the OS CLI/GUI when it boots too!

betruk

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:08 am

It seems a common problem with raspberry Pi and Noobs, and here is a post I found can help. You can help a try. viewtopic.php?f=91&t=64093

saver

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:38 pm

hi everyone, in the end i fixed this:
i have to clarify that i have an hdmi/vga+audio adapter, a vga cable and an old flat screen monitor attached to my rpi;

at first i have readed this

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=64093

and then this

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video

and i discovered how the "hdmi_group=", "hdmi_mode=" thing works;
besides that, i solved my problem by just DELETING THE "#" that foregoes those parameters; so the system goes automatically to the vga configuration;

i want to say thank you to everyone who responded;
bye :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”