brucetexpeditefile

task bar oscillates on startx, alignment assertion

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:43 am

Model 2 Pi, latest 4.0 kernel, X works for pi user and if I sudo startx with the new user.

I just added a new user to the Pi, logged out and back in as the new user. Run startx and X almost starts but when it attempts to display the task bar, the task bar is shown, then disappears, again and again.
It is probably something to do with permissions somewhere but I need a pointer.

Thanks!

Bruce

Here is a sample of the .xsession-errors output:

Xsession: X session started for expedite at Sat Jun 27 20:10:41 MDT 2015
localuser:expedite being added to access control list
Obt-Message: Xinerama extension is not present on the server
Openbox-Message: Requested key "F13" does not exist on the display
Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml"
** Message: x-terminal-emulator has very limited support, consider choose another terminal
** Message: x-terminal-emulator has very limited support, consider choose another terminal

** (lxpanel:6527): WARNING **: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

** (pcmanfm:6529): WARNING **: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

(lxpanel:6527): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised

(lxpanel:6527): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popup-delay after class was initialised

(lxpanel:6527): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popdown-delay after class was initialised

(lxpanel:6527): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-images after class was initialised

(lxpanel:6527): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-label-select-on-focus after class was initialised

(lxpanel:6527): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-button-images after class was initialised

(lxpanel:6527): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_misc_set_alignment: assertion 'GTK_IS_MISC (misc)' failed

(lxpanel:6527): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_misc_set_alignment: assertion 'GTK_IS_MISC (misc)' failed

(pcmanfm:6529): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-label-select-on-focus after class was initialised

jojopi

Re: task bar oscillates on startx, alignment assertion

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:45 am

Have a look what groups the user "pi" is a member of using the command:

Code: Select all

groups pi
The list for your new user will probably be much shorter. Reportedly the "audio" group is the one most likely to be related to the issue you are seeing. To add your user to the audio and video groups:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -aG audio,video USERNAME
(Do not add your user to the group "pi". The group named for the user is supposed to be private.)

By the way, it is not a good idea to try "sudo startx". Not just because it is dangerous and unnecessary to run the whole GUI as root, but also because "sudo" does not completely separate the command it runs from the account that started it. You could end up with files owned by root inside the user's account, and that could stop startx working without sudo in future.

brucetexpeditefile

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks for the pointer to the audio group Would have never thought about that since I don't use or need it on this machine. I'll give that a check when I'm back in the office. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on sudo startx...

Bruce

brucetexpeditefile

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks for your help. You were on the right track with the audio but adding this user to the audio group didn't seem to help it. I ended up hand editing the panel file (~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel) and removing the entry for the audio applet. Startx then worked correctly. Attempting to add the audio applet back in gave similar errors as before with the added entry:

Radio group does not contain an action with value '0'

Not sure what that means and I'm not using any audio so I'm good to go but someone else may end up with this problem that might want to see the solution..

Thanks again,

Bruce

Return to “Troubleshooting”