willis00788

I can't load the debian image on my SD card

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 pm

I have tried on a mac and I am trying on a pc. I've tried to follow the directions but no matter what I try I always get an error of some sort. Part of the problem is that my SD card reader won't read the card i want to load. The card reader works with other cards and the one i want to use can be read by my digital camera. When I plug it into a pc it shows up as well but only for about 30 sec. But even when it reads it a always come up with some sort of problem or error with the programs used to write it. what should I do?
Is there anyone that I can send my SD card that knows a little more about what there doing because i'm in over my head trying to get this to work. if you need anymore information feel free to ask but can someone please help because my dad bought my pi and he says if I can't get it working by Friday that he's gonna sell it on ebay. :(

drgeoff

Re: I can't load the debian image on my SD card

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Maybe an SDHC issue.

Do you understand the difference between SD cards that are larger than 2 Gbyte and those which are not? Almost all of the former have the letters SDHC on them and use a newer and different interface protocol from SD cards of capacity up to and including 2 Gbyte. Older card readers do not support SDHC cards.

If the above is the reason for your failures, you could try using your digital camera as a card reader. If that proves successful you might wish to purchase a new card reader. They are inexpensive and are often available in Poundland shops.

computerpie

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Have you looked at The Magpi magazine? Here is their site http://www.themagpi.com/ Download Issue #2 it has a great and very easy to follow instructions on setting up sd cards.

Make sure you card and reader are working right by trying another card. sd cards are cheap you'll want a couple anyway to try different distros. 8 gb cards are under $12. You'll want to be able to do this yourself. I've already re-imaged my cards several times and will a few more. Now I can practically do it in my sleep.

Tell Dad Bill Gates didn't come up with DOS in a week. If he cut's you some slack you might be the next Gates or Jobs and you'll buy him a nice house to retire in. And if he give you any lip you'll sell it on ebay. :shock:
Pi1>OS: Rasbian Pi2>OS:Xbian .63
1:HDMI>>DVI>>Flat Screen Monitor
2: HDMI>>Toshiba 37" LCD
1:ASUS Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse
2:Logitech wireless mouse, CEC remote
SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD

willis00788

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

drgeoff wrote:Maybe an SDHC issue.

Do you understand the difference between SD cards that are larger than 2 Gbyte and those which are not? Almost all of the former have the letters SDHC on them and use a newer and different interface protocol from SD cards of capacity up to and including 2 Gbyte. Older card readers do not support SDHC cards.

If the above is the reason for your failures, you could try using your digital camera as a card reader. If that proves successful you might wish to purchase a new card reader. They are inexpensive and are often available in Poundland shops.
It is a SDHC card so that's probably why it isn't working for the SD card reader, and yes I have already tried using the camera as a reader but every time I try to load it on the program i'm using usually has some sort of failure or another wether it is on a Mac or Pc i haven't been able to get any of the loading programs to work properly.

willis00788

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:35 am

computerpie wrote:Have you looked at The Magpi magazine? Here is their site http://www.themagpi.com/ Download Issue #2 it has a great and very easy to follow instructions on setting up sd cards.

Make sure you card and reader are working right by trying another card. sd cards are cheap you'll want a couple anyway to try different distros. 8 gb cards are under $12. You'll want to be able to do this yourself. I've already re-imaged my cards several times and will a few more. Now I can practically do it in my sleep.

Tell Dad Bill Gates didn't come up with DOS in a week. If he cut's you some slack you might be the next Gates or Jobs and you'll buy him a nice house to retire in. And if he give you any lip you'll sell it on ebay. :shock:
My dad says I can have more time I guess i was just so bummed out about not getting it to work that I didn't do anything with it for a couple of days and he was just trying to get me to work on it again :)

drgeoff

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:13 pm

willis00788 wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Maybe an SDHC issue.

It is a SDHC card so that's probably why it isn't working for the SD card reader, and yes I have already tried using the camera as a reader but every time I try to load it on the program i'm using usually has some sort of failure or another wether it is on a Mac or Pc i haven't been able to get any of the loading programs to work properly.
Use the camera (not connected to PC) to format the card. Then connect the camera to a PC by USB cable. Does Windows see an extra drive with capacity you expect (ie the size of the SDHC card?).

You should then be ready to go with Win32 Disk Imager.

mdewey

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Dear willis00788

You can buy a USB SD card reader for less than 2 GBP. It is about the same size as a USB stick. I assume they cost 2 USD if that is where you live (or even 2 to 3 EUR)

Michael

willis00788

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 pm

drgeoff wrote: Use the camera (not connected to PC) to format the card. Then connect the camera to a PC by USB cable. Does Windows see an extra drive with capacity you expect (ie the size of the SDHC card?).

So i tried that and now it shows up on the pc as E: and I tried using win32 disk but I get an error the title of the error pop up is Volume Error and the text says "An error occurred when attempting to get a handle on the volume.
Error 5: Access is denied"

what does this mean and how do I fix it

drgeoff

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am

willis00788 wrote:
drgeoff wrote: Use the camera (not connected to PC) to format the card. Then connect the camera to a PC by USB cable. Does Windows see an extra drive with capacity you expect (ie the size of the SDHC card?).

So i tried that and now it shows up on the pc as E: and I tried using win32 disk but I get an error the title of the error pop up is Volume Error and the text says "An error occurred when attempting to get a handle on the volume.

I've never used Win32 Disk Imager myself so have never seen this error. However some posts at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=6&t=4949 suggest that running it as Administrator may be successful.

Some discussion at http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive ... 52283.html.

Or, according to http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all- ... image.html the solution may be as simple as closing as Windows Explorer windows!

computerpie

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 pm

willis00788 wrote:

On the side of the sd card do you have a slider to lock the card? Make sure that is unlocked.

Also look in My Computer (assuming its a pc) Right click your mouse on the E: drive and select properties. On the security tab there will be a list of who has access to the E: drive. Make sure the account you are logging in on is listed there and has FULL Access. If not try and add yourself, but if you don't have access rights you may not be able to.
If your account isn't listed there log off and log in with an administrator account and try to run windisk imager.
SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD

willis00788

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 pm

computerpie wrote: On the side of the sd card do you have a slider to lock the card? Make sure that is unlocked.

Also look in My Computer (assuming its a pc) Right click your mouse on the E: drive and select properties. On the security tab there will be a list of who has access to the E: drive. Make sure the account you are logging in on is listed there and has FULL Access. If not try and add yourself, but if you don't have access rights you may not be able to.
If your account isn't listed there log off and log in with an administrator account and try to run windisk imager.
I have already checked the lock and it's unlocked and I checked the properties and it doesn't have a security tab but when i clicked on the error checking tool it said "You do not have sufficient privileges to check this drive. the problem is this isn't my computer im working on so i cant login as an admin.

computerpie

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Sorry I gave you some bad info there I wasn't on my windows box and didn't check before I responded. You are right there isn't a security tab.

You'll have to run as administrator to write to the card. If you know the admin password you can right click on WinDisk and choose run as... And it will give you a dialog to enter admin credentials. You might even try administrator with no password. Sometimes people setup the admin account without one.

Not sure what else you can do.
SanDisk SDHC C4 8GB SD

drgeoff

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 pm

willis00788 wrote: the problem is this isn't my computer im working on so i cant login as an admin.
Can you persuade the computer's owner to login as admin and write the image for you?

If not, will the PC will boot from a CD? If yes then use Windows to download and burn a Linux LiveCD. (PuppyLinux is only 100 Mbyte or so to download. http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20a ... tarted.htm) Boot the PC from that - no install needed. Then use dd to write the image.

willis00788

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 pm

So, I finally found a computer that I could use and it said that it loaded successfully. But now with it plugged into my screen the screen says "No analog signal" so I'm thinking either A: The image didn't actually load successfully or B: There's something wrong with my monitor and or cord.

I'm using:
A sharp lcd monitor LL-T15G4-B
with a DVI to HDMI cord
and the distro I'm using is raspbian

bredman

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Congratulations, you're making progress...

If you created the SD card properly, the green OK light should flash when you plug the power cable into the RPi.

bredman

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:10 pm

I just noticed something...

You are using a digital cable, but your monitor is complaining that it cannot see an analog signal. This means that you are using the wrong type of cable or your monitor is not able to use DVI digital.

Give us more details of your monitor and cable, also let us know if the OK light is flashing.

bredman

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm

I looked up this monitor, there should be an "Input" button on the front to switch sources. This will switch from analog(VGA) to digital(DVI).

ibendwires

Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 pm

A Possible Solution

I realize this is an old thread, however, I had the same issue. From what I could read from skimming this thread, the OP solved this by using a different PC. Not a viable solution for me....

Anyway, I was able to resolve the issue by right-clicking on the drive letter used for the SD-Card and formatting the card (NTFS).

After the format everything worked fine 8-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”