stefanbaumann

Brother MFC-J615W not working with CUPS 1.5.3

Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Hey,
I just got my new Raspberry Pi and wanted to set it up as a printer server. I'm able to add the printer without any problems via the web interface, but I'm not able to print anything. It just seems like the print job is sent to the printer and completed without problems in the web interface but in reality nothing happens. There's also no output in the error log file. But I'm going to tell you what I've done first, maybe that will help with troubleshooting. Please keep in mind that this is my first time using linux and that I'm not a native english speaker :)
I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B running Raspian. The printer is a Brother MFC-J615W that is connected via a USB cable. First, I installed CUPS following an online tutorial:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install cups
$ sudo cupsctl --share-printers --remote-printers --remote-admin
$ sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin pi
Then I was able to call the online interface and wanted to add the printer but there was no matching driver in the list. So I went to the manufacturer's driver download page (http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... cj615w_all) and downloaded the "Driver Install Tool" for "Linux (deb)", ran it and let it install all the drivers. It seemed like the installer already added the printer to CUPS so I tried printing a test page - nothing happened. I thought that there might have been a problem with the installer adding the printer to CUPS so I added it manually using the "Brother MFC-J615W CUPS (en)" driver but it didn't work either. As I said before, it doesn't output any error message and when I try printing something, the state switches to "processing since [...] Sending data to printer" and then switches to "completed [...]" after a while.

When I searched through this forum, the problem seemed to be similar to this one: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112756&p=772668&hi ... ng#p772668
Sadly they didn't find a working solution, so I'm asking in a seperate thread.

I hope you'll be able to help me troubleshoot this problem :)

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

tommygoessing

Re: Brother MFC-J615W not working with CUPS 1.5.3

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi Stefan,

I - unbelievably - just found your post when I combined the printer modell with "raspberry pi" in a google search. Could beat me for not having done that yesterday morning.

I am having the EXACT same problem since 20-somewhat hours...^^ (and I might be on the same knowledge level as you are too...)

I just now came up with the google search described above, because I might have discovered the reason for our problem, after I learned a lot about linux and the pi throughout the last hours. (But maybe I learned much less than I thought and my idea is wrong. I am mainly posting this to find out):

When attempting to install the same driver tool you mentioned in your post (by the way: for the like 15th time!!), the command line replied the following:

You are going to install following packages.
mfcj615wlpr-1.1.3-1.i386.deb
mfcj615wcupswrapper-1.1.3-1.i386.deb
brscan3-0.2.13-1.i386.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.i386.deb

I was about to confirm again, but than realized the "i386" suffix of all the filenames.

Here is my idea:
The Pi is based on an ARM Architecture rather than x86-Architecture, right? All installation packages I have been wanting to use, that hade the x86 suffix, hadn't worked. I have always needed the file, ending with "-armfh.deb".

Possible conclusion:
The driver package offered by brother us work for debian linux on x86-Architecture platform, but not for the ARM-based Pi?
:shock:

@ANYBODY:
Can anyone of the PROs confirm this? And can someone maybe also give us a hint if this means, the printer modell cannot be used on RasPi or if there is a way to do so, and what would be the possible steps?

That would make my day! :oops:

@Stefan: Just to make sure: You have not found a solution in the meantime, have you?

btw: I am willing to delete my post when I concludet bullshit! Just please be nice when you tell me. :oops:

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:57 pm

It won't work on a RPi. You need an X86 / X86_64 based Linux system to run that printer driver and you may be able to print from your ARM based Raspberries if you're lucky.

Sell you Brother printer on eBay and buy one that includes proper architecture neutral Linux support like an Epson or HP.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

tommygoessing

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Hey DougieLawson,

one more question:

CUPS walkthrough for Installation of my printer also offers me to provide a "PPD-File" instead of oicking the model from a list (where the mfc-j615w is not included anyways).

Googling for that, I just found this:
https://github.com/winterheart/brother- ... cj615w.ppd

Stupid question probably upcoming... :oops: Is this what CUPS is asking me for? Shoudl the printer work when I provide this PPD File? If so... Even more studpid question probably coming up... :oops: :oops: How do I make a file out of the code the link I pasted is showing? Just put the complete code in an editor and save it as "whatever.ppd"??

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:21 pm

It depends when the PPD calls the X86 driver. You may be able to set it up on an X86 Linux system as a network printer and drive it as a remote printer from your RPi. Or you may be selling it on eBay and buying a supported printer.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi Dougie,

thank your for your patient support - even via PM! Gyus like you make the forum concept work!

upon your last post, and your comment in your PM:

"If your printer needs a special driver, then the PPD file is going to have a stanza that says "when printing run this driver". Since we've already established that the driver won't run on a Raspberry you've got a printer that is probably 100% incompatible."

let me ask one more thing:

Does that mean, when CUPS Frontend is asking me, whilest installing a printer, if I wand to selct a driver, OR want to provide a PPD File, that the OR is not actually stating that a PPD File is an alternative to a driver itself, but only to selecting the driver from a list all by myself?
You still always need a driver, not a PPD-File instead of a driver?

:cry:

cheers,
tommy

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52 pm

It's impossible to tell, because Brother don't publish the source code for their drivers. Without knowing what it does, it's impossible to determine when it's called.

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:10 pm

My question was rather general (not towards our specific situation):

Does a PPD File replace a driver?

(From all I learned so far and read from you, I suppose not... just want to make sure...)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:49 pm

tommygoessing wrote:My question was rather general (not towards our specific situation):

Does a PPD File replace a driver?

(From all I learned so far and read from you, I suppose not... just want to make sure...)
Well after nearly 4 years afaiaa no one has successfully got the majority of Brother Printers to Print successfully :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:18 pm

certainly true!

But... doesn't really answer the general question, does it?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:35 pm

tommygoessing wrote:certainly true!

But... doesn't really answer the general question, does it?
your questione was answered in other posts, github link x86 :shock:

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:40 pm

no, I don't think this one was...

I am not asking anything particularly about the MFC-j615w or the drivers from github or brother or alswhere...

I was just asking the comprehensive question, if I understood correctly...

(what seems to be implicit, but is not beeing answered DEFINITELY by anyone anywhere - as far as I have read the internet yet ;) )

... if you will alwys need a driver, or iif a PPD file can be of anyhelp INSTEAD of the driver (meaning PPD file without the driver).

The only point where this impression comes up is CUPS where it says in the installation procedure of a new printer "choose driver... OR provide PPD file...

cheers,
tommy

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:49 pm

If you have a postscript printer (expensive) then the PPD file is all that is required, otherwise you will need a driver file to translate the postscript code into the format the printer is expecting.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:52 pm

tommygoessing wrote:no, I don't think this one was...

I am not asking anything particularly about the MFC-j615w or the drivers from github or brother or alswhere...

I was just asking the comprehensive question, if I understood correctly...

(what seems to be implicit, but is not beeing answered DEFINITELY by anyone anywhere - as far as I have read the internet yet ;) )

... if you will alwys need a driver, or iif a PPD file can be of anyhelp INSTEAD of the driver (meaning PPD file without the driver).

The only point where this impression comes up is CUPS where it says in the installation procedure of a new printer "choose driver... OR provide PPD file...

cheers,
tommy
Well yes posting to 3 posts gets complicated to keep up what and where you are appending to....see rpdom has also responded in other post.

4 years ago when ditched Windows for Linux ( Lubuntu and Android ) bought a HP Printer and never had any issues using CUPS / HPLIP...........

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Well yes posting to 3 posts gets complicated to keep up what and where you are appending to....see rpdom has also responded in other post.
That is true. Sorry. I am just trying to find an answer and thought it was a relevant idea to involve the communities of all three threads in it. Only posting to one thread has the problem of attracting the right persons - that might have an answer - to your thread.

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:27 pm

BMS Doug wrote:If you have a postscript printer (expensive) then the PPD file is all that is required, otherwise you will need a driver file to translate the postscript code into the format the printer is expecting.
Thank you BMS Doug! I got that now.

Do you know a way to find out if my printer is able to work with a generic driver instead of a driver provided by brother directly?

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:37 pm

tommygoessing wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:If you have a postscript printer (expensive) then the PPD file is all that is required, otherwise you will need a driver file to translate the postscript code into the format the printer is expecting.

Do you know a way to find out if my printer is able to work with a generic driver instead of a driver provided by brother directly?
It won't! You've been told that in your other threads. Printers that are supported by CUPS tend to be listed at:http://www.openprinting.org/printers if it's not listed it WILL NOT WORK.

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:43 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
tommygoessing wrote:

It won't! You've been told that in your other threads. Printers that are supported by CUPS tend to be listed at:http://www.openprinting.org/printers if it's not listed it WILL NOT WORK.
Sorry if I missed the Point Dougie.

The printer we are talking about IS LISTED on openprinting though:
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Bro ... -MFC-j615w

The page is saying it works "partially". Which is not what I achieved so far. Mine does not work AT ALL. Partially would be a big success. I just don't know how to get there or what to do for it...

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:32 pm

tommygoessing wrote:

Nope, I know next to nothing about printers, I googled PPD, then I googled Postscript and then I summarised the results for you.
Doug.

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 pm

puh... emberasses me for not beeing able to get that certainity... :oops:

and makes me hope yours is more smartness then plain confidence... :lol:

still: thank you.

still: anyone who can help with the question about compatibility of my printer to generic drivers?

cheers,
tommy

fruit-uk

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:57 pm

tommygoessing wrote:The printer we are talking about IS LISTED on openprinting though:
A quick look and the main link seems to refer to the Brother site and their drivers - probably binary and x86

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:01 pm

fruit-uk wrote:
tommygoessing wrote:The printer we are talking about IS LISTED on openprinting though:
A quick look and the main link seems to refer to the Brother site and their drivers - probably binary and x86
100% correct as stated in various posts :roll:

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:07 pm

tommygoessing wrote:puh... emberasses me for not beeing able to get that certainity... :oops:

and makes me hope yours is more smartness then plain confidence... :lol:

still: thank you.

still: anyone who can help with the question about compatibility of my printer to generic drivers?

cheers,
tommy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScrip ... escription
A PPD (Postscript Printer Description) file is a file that describes the fonts, paper sizes, resolution , and other capabilities that are standard for a particular Postscript printer. A printer driver program uses a PPD file to understand the capabilities of a particular printer.
http://www.howtogeek.com/100016/printin ... ostscript/
When printing, you might have come across the word “Postscript.” Ever wondered what the heck this means, and relevance it has to your printer? Take a minute, learn some computer history, and a little bit more about desktop printers work.
Postscript, as the name sort of suggests, is actually a Turing-complete programming language. Directions are written out in a human-readable way, and communicated to the printer, which creates the high quality art from the instructions.
Nowadays, not all printers use Postscript, but all of them have to have some kind of translation layer to turn text and image data into printed material. We usually call these programs printer drivers—and nowadays they come from the manufacturer, and are a proprietary software. In some form or fashion, this Is an crucial piece of what all printers need to communicate with PCs—even though the printers we use in our homes are solving very different problems than the first laser printers.
Combine this with Dougie Lawsons words earlier: CUPS follows the PPD instructions on how to pass the file to the printer, if a Postscript printer is used the postcsript can be passed directly, otherwise a driver will be needed to change the instruction code into a form that the printer can understand.
Doug.

tommygoessing

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:29 am

ok guys, thanks a lot. lets hope this post will help someone else to learn all this and save time with it, instead of troubleshooting for days 8-)

I also have a final answer from brother meanwhile:
Bei dem von Ihnen angegebenen MFC-J615W handelt es sich um einen reinen GDI Drucker. Dieser verfügt über keinerlei Emulationen und kann mit keinem Generic Treiber oder per PCL betrieben werden.

// mfc-j615w is a pure GDI printer. It can not be run with any generic driver or via PCL
and to my question if there is a Linux ARM driver:
Treiber dieser Art stehen leider nicht zur Verfügung bzw. sind derzeit auch nicht geplant.

// no such driver availabled. Development is not planned either.
cheers,
tommy

Return to “Troubleshooting”