morphy_richards

New Raspbian Interface Taskbar issue when not "pi"

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:55 am

I have configured the newest (Release date:2015-05-05) download of raspbian to work on my network.

I am using the new interface with the taskbar at the top of the screen.

When I log in as pi everthing works as expected.

I log in as an ldap / remote user, this is fine, my home directory mounts properly.

When I startx the task bar does not load properly. The "wastebasket" icon is on the screen, the taskbar tries to load, a grey bar appears where it should be, the wastebasket moves down the screen a bit, then the grey bar / taskbar space disappears and the wastebasket moves back up.

This repeats indefinitely, the taskbar will not fully load and the wastebasket icon dances up and down repeatedly.

To see if this was an issue with my ldap settings I created a new, local user on the pi by logging back in with pi and using the adduser command.

Logging in as this new user and attempting to startx, the same issue occurs.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: New Raspbian Interface Taskbar issue when not "pi"

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:30 am

I would start by making sure you're in all the same groups as the pi user because it might be a permissions problem.

morphy_richards

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm fairly famous when it comes to misunderstanding, nevertheless...

I'm now on a totally fresh copy of Raspbian, nothing changed, completely default installed programs and settings. (on a rev 2 Pi model B)
I did

Code: Select all

sudo adduser local_user
Tried to startx with local_user and the same behaviour.

[email protected] ~ $ groups pi
pi : pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users netdev input spi i2c gpio
[email protected] ~ $ groups local_user
local_user : local_user
So it seems (to me at least) that this is an out of the box issue. Does anyone else use the new x interface with a user that is not pi?
I have tried adding local_user to "users" but that didn’t work.

morphy_richards

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:00 pm

I have the following but don’t know what to make of it

[email protected] /home/local_user $ sudo cat .xsession-errors
Xsession: X session started for local_user at Mon Jun  8 12:49:57 UTC 2015
localuser:local_user being added to access control list
** Message: x-terminal-emulator has very limited support, consider choose another terminal
** Message: x-terminal-emulator has very limited support, consider choose another terminal

** (pcmanfm:2675): WARNING **: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

** (lxpanel:2673): WARNING **: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

** (lxpanel:2673): WARNING **: lxpanel: can't start panel

** (lxpanel:2673): WARNING **: Config files are not found.

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-label-select-on-focus after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popup-delay after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popdown-delay after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-menu-images after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-entry-select-on-focus after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-entry-password-hint-timeout after class was initialised

(pcmanfm:2675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings::gtk-button-images after class was initialised
pcmanfm: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

jimjam89

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm also having this issue with a fresh install, does anyone know if there is a config file somewhere for the menu bar? Or maybe a file that isn't created when a new user is added?

Jonny_B

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 pm

I have the same problem. I upgraded by installation and now have this problem.

Would be very interested to hear whether anyone has managed to fix this.

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:37 am

Should hopefully be fixed by the next release.

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Seems to work fine after running

sudo usermod -a -G audio your_user
Edit: A bit of a disclaimer is that I'm running jessie and have added to the user to all the groups pi is in, not just audio. So maybe that's not 'the' fix, but I bet it is.
Edit2: It's definitely a groups thing, but we're not sure if it's just the 'audio' group or if there's something else. Don't forget to log out and back in or reboot before running startx or similar to test.

jojopi

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:40 pm

I wanted to help investigate this, but I cannot reproduce it. On a near-pristine but up-to-date RPF 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy image, I can create a user with no supplementary groups at all, and startx works perfectly.

I also tried installing most of the LDAP stuff from the original post, though not actually making it the active authentication scheme.

I have counted at least six threads so far about the bouncing taskbar issue, so it is very obviously a real problem in some situations, but the solutions have seemingly been variable. 105829, 110579, 111984, 112085, 112680, 113010.

If anyone can find a reliable sequence to reproduce from stock, that would be helpful.

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:08 pm

jojopi wrote:I wanted to help investigate this, but I cannot reproduce it. On a near-pristine but up-to-date RPF 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy image, I can create a user with no supplementary groups at all, and startx works perfectly.

I also tried installing most of the LDAP stuff from the original post, though not actually making it the active authentication scheme.

I have counted at least six threads so far about the bouncing taskbar issue, so it is very obviously a real problem in some situations, but the solutions have seemingly been variable. 105829, 110579, 111984, 112085, 112680, 113010.

If anyone can find a reliable sequence to reproduce from stock, that would be helpful.
Solutions you've linked:
Remove mixer icon - Simon found that gstreamer wasn't reporting any audio devices and we think it's because lack of access to /dev/snd devices. Removing the icon means it doesn't try and crashes. So that fix is the same as adding to the 'audio' groups. Things have been updated so that even if gstreamer doesn't report devices correctly, it doesn't crash. That update hasn't been pushed yet.
Add to audio group - Same as above
Add to video group - mentioned in passing... not clear that that's actually needed. People who have done this have ALSO added the user to the audio group.
I've seen people ignore what others have said about groups and just say that it still doesn't work, without trying the recommended fix.

morphy_richards

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:35 am

I appreciate everyone's assistance on this. I'm going to hold fire on pushing out the new distribution for now though and use an older but updated one instead.
I'm hesitant to try the groups fix because, a few things recently have shown I don't really understand groups and permissions properly. Ill hold fire and try a new release in due course or when I get an opportunity to up my knowledge and try the fix.

Jonny_B

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am

Hi

I think I may have confused the threads, but I am using "pi" and I also have a flickering taskbar, so are you sure being pi or not pi has anything to do with the flickering taskbar.

My installation was working fine until I run dist-upgrade last weekend and a new interface was pushed out and I feel that that is what has messed up my taskbar .....

billybangleballs

Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:36 am

I too am pi, but my hidden taskbar now pops under, rather than over when I move the mouse to the bottom of the screen.

I just want my taskbar to be on top again, it's pretty pointless popping up under the foreground window.

aamnah

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:02 pm

When I startx the task bar does not load properly. The "wastebasket" icon is on the screen, the taskbar tries to load, a grey bar appears where it should be, the wastebasket moves down the screen a bit, then the grey bar / taskbar space disappears and the wastebasket moves back up.
The same is happening to me, latest raspbian release (2015-05-05), on Rpi B+. I'm logging in as pi, not any other user. This is a fresh install, no changes have been made.

I have tried restarting X a few times (`Ctrl+Alt+Backspace` to get out and then `startx` to get back in) but the issue keeps persisting..

berrylove

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm

I started facing the same issue, I compiled the kernel with CONFIG VERSION with my name at end and then replaced the original kernel7.img with the new built image. hope someone help me with solution

Return to “Troubleshooting”