LJH08

Temperature readings

Thu May 07, 2015 1:38 am

I just got a Pi 2. I am running MATE Ubuntu. I am trying to get a temperature reading on the CPU. The built in monitor doesn't get any sensors and the guides online fail since it returns "VCHI initialization failed". Any suggestions ?

joan

Re: Temperature readings

Thu May 07, 2015 8:00 am

I suggest you use Raspbian. I have no idea what Ubuntu MATE may or may not support.

LJH08

Thu May 14, 2015 1:28 am

joan wrote:I suggest you use Raspbian. I have no idea what Ubuntu MATE may or may not support.
That is a suggestion... so ... thanks I guess. But it doesn't really help me with my issue, I'm not interested in Raspbian....I want to get this new MATE version to work.

darkm2222

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:02 pm

im using ubuntu mate and to get the cpu temp i used the command "cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp" to add it to the bottom bar right click on a open area click add to panel then command click add right click on the just added time then click preferences copy the command into the are by command then change maximum width (chars) to 2 then click close. this will show the temp in two digits and update every second by default.

Taxicletter

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:42 pm

LJH08 wrote:
joan wrote:I suggest you use Raspbian. I have no idea what Ubuntu MATE may or may not support.
That is a suggestion... so ... thanks I guess. But it doesn't really help me with my issue, I'm not interested in Raspbian....I want to get this new MATE version to work.
Indeed, Raspbian is much more discussed here. But I have to agree: Ubuntu MATE is more like a complete desktop experience. And although, on my Raspberry Pi 3 it runs more slowly then Raspbian, it's more "continuous" slow, less hiccups.
Thanks @darkm2222, I was searching for the same thing and it works great!

What settings (overclocking? ... ) do you use, @LJH08 to have Ubuntu run smoothly?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

tinkerdan

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 pm

darkm2222 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:02 pm
im using ubuntu mate and to get the cpu temp i used the command "cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp" to add it to the bottom bar right click on a open area click add to panel then command click add right click on the just added time then click preferences copy the command into the are by command then change maximum width (chars) to 2 then click close. this will show the temp in two digits and update every second by default.
Im sure it's been mentioned but also vcgencmd measure_temp if you would like to display the words temp=. Perfect answer thou
RPi 3 B+ w/ Samsung EVO 256GB SSD, OC, Dual-Fan Heatsink Raspbian, Mate, OSMC
Asus Tinker Board S Sandisk Extreme, Noctua Cooling Nougat 7.1.2, Tinker OS 2.07, Lakka

tinkerdan

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Taxicletter wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:42 pm
LJH08 wrote:
Indeed, Raspbian is much more discussed here. But I have to agree: Ubuntu MATE is more like a complete desktop experience. And although, on my Raspberry Pi 3 it runs more slowly then Raspbian, it's more "continuous" slow, less hiccups.
Thanks @darkm2222, I was searching for the same thing and it works great!

What settings (overclocking? ... ) do you use, @LJH08 to have Ubuntu run smoothly?
My RPi 3 B+ literally runs almost as smooth as a full desktop with this=
Using an Samsung Evo 850 SSD thru usb but also tested with a Sandisk Extreme 32GB SD card and it ran great, 5v 3A Northpada PSU, I use a iUniker dual fan heatsink from amazon for cooling and it averages 33 degrees and rarely goes above 41 even at loads (watching youtube with several other apps open at once with no lag/stutter) see link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m8t52z85mq0h ... 3.png?dl=0

gpu_freq=500
sdram_freq=550 (was stable at 600 but didnt notice much difference so kept voltage lower)
arm_freq=1575 (runs at 1.58 on Ubuntu, may strange but tested at 1.55 and i do notice a change at the 1.58
over_voltage=8
force_turbo=0 (use =1 for constant 1.58 with no scaling)
sdram_over_voltage=2
RPi 3 B+ w/ Samsung EVO 256GB SSD, OC, Dual-Fan Heatsink Raspbian, Mate, OSMC
Asus Tinker Board S Sandisk Extreme, Noctua Cooling Nougat 7.1.2, Tinker OS 2.07, Lakka

Return to “Troubleshooting”