normanlove

Cannot write to SAMBA Share

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 am

Hi all,

I'm basically just wondering what i am doing wrong. I have a raspi (512MB B) set up with two external hard drives which are being shared via SAMBA. I have consulted many guides and set it up according to each of them but no matter what config i set, i cannot write to the drive from any source. Would someone be able to point out what i am doing incorrectly?

I have a feeling its something to do with the permissions on the drives themselves, but whenever i right click and set them it always denies me access and i have no idea how to change it..

I have screenshotted the end of my /etc/samba/smb.conf : Image

I have also tried to use the writeable=yes parameter and this doesnt work either. Plus, i am aware of the dangers of forcing root user.

DougieLawson

Re: Cannot write to SAMBA Share

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Have you added smb users with sudo smbpasswd -a username? Each windows user needs a matching Samba user.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

normanlove

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 pm

i have tried it, and it does not work.

normanlove

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:05 pm

bump

scidata

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:54 pm

If these drives were initialized in Windows, be sure that they have sharing, permissions, and security all set up first. SMB is Windows land, Linux is only a guest.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

bobstro

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 pm

What are the permissions on the two filesystems you're trying to share? (ls -l) What filesystem are you using on them? If you're using NTFS, they mount as only RW for the root user by default. Use the -o uid=[YOURUID],gid=[YOURGID] mount options in /etc/fstab to make them RW for others.

Return to “Troubleshooting”