zephirekott

Rasberry Pi B - Crashes to black screen constantly.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:49 am

Hey guys. I purchased this raspberry pi about a year and a half ago. I had this exact problem (Crashing to a black screen randomly). It is perfectly stable while installing an OS, but once in an OS, it is incredibly unstable to the point where it is nothing more than a paper weight. I completely gave up on the thing, and tossed it into the closet because nobody could assist me back then. I've suddenly had the urge to try and get this thing working again, and hopefully over time, some of the more experienced users have figured this issue out. I have used approximately 6 or 7 different power supplies, the newest being a Galaxy Note 4 charger that is rated at 5 volts @ 2 amps. I tested the voltage across the board, and it sits between 4.92-5.05 volts. I have also tried numerous SD, and micro SD cards. All of which made no difference. I JUST installed the latest version of Raspbian and still have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to be an HDMI issue, since I checked both outputs.

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Rasberry Pi B - Crashes to black screen constantly.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:58 am

Please define 'crashes to black screen constantly'... does this mean your Xorg server died and you are back to a useful (although black) terminal that you can log into... or, does it mean that the RPi is dead with a lifeless black screen?

Usually, and not always, random failures that are extreme and NOT reproducible on demand are almost always hardware related; RPi is probably bad. In this case I am going to suspect your power supply and or SD card. You've been down that road, so maybe the RPi is dead.

Its only $35 dollars... buy a new one and be happy! You'll be supporting the Raspberry PI foundation and you'll feel better...

;)
marcus
:ugeek:

zephirekott

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 am

It goes to a dead black screen, and my TV shows "HDMI" at the top right as if it is no longer receiving a signal. And to be honest, I'd already own more than one RPi, had this one worked properly...

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 am

Honestly, I'd say you have one of two things here... a flaky power supply, or a bad RPi.

Its also possible that your kernel is panicking because of SD card corruption...
marcus
:ugeek:

zephirekott

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:12 am

Ive tried MANY power supplies, and even purchased one that was recommended for the RPi and nothing worked there. I also have used multiple properly formatted SD cards to no avail.

zephirekott

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:49 am

Assuming it is a bad RPi, which I hope it is not, where would I begin to diagnose the issue? I would actually have some fun using it as a repair project to see if I can make it operational.

ShorTie

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:33 am

Well, I'd lay my money on the micro-usb cable then.
Are you using a good quality cable with like 28awg/2c+24awg/2c printed on it ??
Or 1 of those cheap tinsel coated plasic wire phone charging cables.

Have A Great Day
ShorTie ;)

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 am

zephirekott wrote:Assuming it is a bad RPi, which I hope it is not, where would I begin to diagnose the issue? I would actually have some fun using it as a repair project to see if I can make it operational.
Start with a fresh SDCard and a newly downloaded copy of NOOBS (or plain Raspbian).
Test with a better power supply.
Test with a better USB-A to microUSB cable.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Troubleshooting”