CountZerobah

SD Card Issues REdux

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:21 am

Ras PI 2 (new)

I have tried the pidora and kali images. 16GB Sandisk SD , Adafruit PI 2 Kit with power etc. Everything is brand new out of box.

1. Use formater from SD Assoc.
2. Format FAT 32 Util. With Flags.
3. put image on with win32disk image tool. Says successful.
4. Try it on RPi2 no go. Activity light solid red.

Try the above on Mac Yosemite via DD command (i'm a unix expert so I know how to use it.)

Are the images on the raspberrypi.org download section approved for RP2?

Never had any issues with RP1

ANY help appreciated.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: SD Card Issues REdux

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 am

Have you tried Raspbian? That's the major supported OS on the Pi and is known to work. Don't know about the ones you have tried.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

drgeoff

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:44 pm

If you click the "more info" link under Pidora on the Downloads page you will learn something.

And any 3rd party OS with a date earlier than the release of RPi2 has virtually zero chance of working.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:19 pm

CountZerobah wrote:Ras PI 2 (new)

I have tried the pidora and kali images. 16GB Sandisk SD , Adafruit PI 2 Kit with power etc. Everything is brand new out of box.

1. Use formater from SD Assoc.
2. Format FAT 32 Util. With Flags.
3. put image on with win32disk image tool. Says successful.
4. Try it on RPi2 no go. Activity light solid red.

Try the above on Mac Yosemite via DD command (i'm a unix expert so I know how to use it.)

ANY help appreciated.
Yes both Pidora and Kali are not suitable for the RPi2 B

+1 for Raspbian it works out-of-the-box http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....

user007

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:52 pm

CountZerobah wrote:Ras PI 2 (new)

I have tried the pidora and kali images. 16GB Sandisk SD , Adafruit PI 2 Kit with power etc.
ANY help appreciated.
Fedora 21 and Kali Linux work well on RPI2 .
The OS of choice for RPI2 OS are Raspbian and Fedora 21 (they both have the same performance calculated by Nbench - BYTEmark* Native Mode Benchmark).
Kali Linux works well too (both armhf v.1.1.0 and armel v.1.0.9 versions have the same Nbench performance), however the performance tests are around 60% of the Raspbian and Fedora 21. Nevertheless Kali LInux desktop is very nice and the performance is OK.

1. Regarding Fedora 21 (previous name Pidora) - the easiest way to install it is Berryboot - Boot menu/OS installer for ARM devices. You may use my instructions from this post: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 97#p702197
2. Regarding Kali Linux you may use my instructions from this post: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 60#p707460

Update:
Finally we may download the official Kali LInux image kali-1.1.0-rpi2.img.xz from https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... -download/. It works right after extracting and placing on an microSD card.
Still the Kali Linux is not optimized and the benchmark rezults using Nbench are around 60% of the Raspbian and Fedora 21 bechmarks. Nevertheless Kali LInux performance is OK on RPI2 and it is offering an impressive pentesting collection.

Return to “Troubleshooting”