Page 2 of 5

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 pm
by MrEngman
cbprod wrote:i have a dlink dwa-171 adapter with the rtl8812au chipset. what filename would i use to get it working in raspbian. i have a pi2
Post the output of command uname -a so I can see what version you are using and I will then be able to tell you what filename you need.


MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 am
by muski
CaptainFred wrote:Is anyone having trouble getting the EW-7811UTC to work reliably in a RPi2? It seems to work but randomly has issues. Doesn't seem to make any difference what OS i'm running either. I've got a good PSU too 3A and powered USB hub didn't help. Plus it works fine in my Windows 7 mediacenter PC plus quicker throughput...25MB/s+ vs ~7-9MB/s in the RPi2. Any help appreciated. Thanks
I was able to get the Edimax AC600 Directional (EW-7811DAC -- the one with the directional antenna) working on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. Lots of googling and poking around, and despite being a bit of a Linux newbie, much to my amazement it's installed successfully. (Still testing to see how reliable it is in the longer term).

I'm using it with a Volumio as a media player, and as I am now getting 434Mb/s from my Time Capsule running 802.11ac, I can finally play high-resolution DSD files over wifi!

I started with a Volumio image and did the following steps:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

uname -a then gives:
Linux VolumioPi 3.18.5-v7+ #748 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 4 21:33:52 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... ifi.tar.gz
gunzip install-wifi.tar.gz
tar xvf install-wifi.tar install-wifi

./install-wifi -c [this shows there is indeed a driver available]

./install-wifi 8812au

Hope this helps. FWIW, I'm using a 5V 2.2A Micro USB Switch Mode Power Adapter. I also have a HiFiBerry Digi+ card installed for S/PDIF output.

Many thanks to MrEngman.

Cheers,
muski

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:15 pm
by petar
muski - I was able to follow your instructions to get the Edimax running on my RasPi earlier today, seems to be working great. Thanks for the post.

I'm wondering, in the 3+ months time you've been running the adapter, have you had any issues with performance?

Many thanks,
Petar

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:56 am
by muski
Glad to hear that you got it working!

My Edimax is working great and I am consistenly getting 433mbps throughput on 5GHz a/c/n networks. I can playback DSD files on my RPi2B with no clicks or gaps. I have run into a strange problem with AAC+ stream playback on 5GHz networks, but I think it's in Volumio, not the Edimax driver. Still trying to figure that one out...

cheers,
muski

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:13 pm
by michjosi
Hi there,

I also try to get EW7811UTC working, I run Raspberry Pi 2 with latest Raspbian release:

Code: Select all

uname -r
4.1.13-v7+
Is there already a compiled version for that kernel? Which one can i use instead? I tried these but they are obviously not (yet?) available:

Code: Select all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.13.tar.gz
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.13-v7.tar.gz
Thanks in advance! Michael

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 pm
by MrEngman
michjosi wrote:Hi there,

I also try to get EW7811UTC working, I run Raspberry Pi 2 with latest Raspbian release:

Code: Select all

uname -r
4.1.13-v7+
Is there already a compiled version for that kernel? Which one can i use instead? I tried these but they are obviously not (yet?) available:

Code: Select all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.13.tar.gz
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.13-v7.tar.gz
Thanks in advance! Michael
Try this instead.

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.13-v7-826.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.13-v7-826.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 pm
by michjosi
Dear MrEngman,

thank you very much, I'll try the file soon. Is there any kind of repository or list of contents where I can see that files you have available for download? E.g. if a new kernel is available, how can I find the fitting file?

Regards Michael

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:10 pm
by MrEngman
michjosi wrote:Dear MrEngman,

thank you very much, I'll try the file soon. Is there any kind of repository or list of contents where I can see that files you have available for download? E.g. if a new kernel is available, how can I find the fitting file?

Regards Michael
H Michael,

I use a standard format for the wifi driver files so to find the driver to download you need to check the output of command

Code: Select all

uname -a
This will show the kernel version and build and these are used to generate the filename of the driver file to download.

As an example using the latest version of raspbian the command uname -a shows

Code: Select all

Linux Pi-2B-a 4.1.13-v7+ #826 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 13 20:19:03 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
The kernel version is 4.1.13-v7 (without the +) and the build is 826 (without the #). The filename for the driver file is formed using the format 8812au-kernel_version-build.tar.gz so the file to download for this version is 8812au-4.1.13-v7-826.tar.gz

To download and install use the following commands
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-kernel_version-build.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-kernel_version-build.tar.gz
./install.sh
substituting the required kernel version and build from the uname -a command from the kernel you want the driver for.

Please note the drivers I compile are for Raspbian and will not work with other OS's.


MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:54 pm
by SavvaGI
Thank you guys, I have installed my RTL8811au based wi-fi adapter following your instructions and it works in regular mode.
But I can not turn it to the Monitor mode.
Does anybody knows what I can do?

Thanks

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:51 pm
by arv187
someone can help me with this? https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os/issues/557

In advance, thanks!

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:31 pm
by MrEngman
arv187 wrote:someone can help me with this? https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os/issues/557

In advance, thanks!
Sorry I don't have drivers available for kernel 3.19 so the install-wifi script will not find any.

The drivers I compile are for all those available using rpi-update (commit-id), so currently 3.18.3-16, 4.0.5-9. and 4.1.4-15., using the commits from github, https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/master, and for kernel 4.4.0 and rc7/8, using BRANCH=next rpi-update (commit-id).



MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:55 pm
by arv187
Thanks!

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:58 pm
by AndyPi
I have RPI2 and been using Edimax AC600 ( ID 7392:a812 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd )for some time without much difficulty. I am using Arch currently at 4.1.15. I do compile it myself from source here https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux . It takes a couple of minutes to compile. It works well at 2.4G and 5GHz

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:43 pm
by arv187
In last raspbian update i lost my wifi driver, you will make a new compilation to 4.1.17-v7+ 838? :roll:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./install-wifi 8812au

Your current kernel revision = 4.1.17-v7+
Your current kernel build    = #838

Checking for a new 8812au wifi driver module for your current kernel.
A driver does not yet exist for this update.

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:23 pm
by MrEngman
arv187 wrote:In last raspbian update i lost my wifi driver, you will make a new compilation to 4.1.17-v7+ 838? :roll:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./install-wifi 8812au

Your current kernel revision = 4.1.17-v7+
Your current kernel build    = #838

Checking for a new 8812au wifi driver module for your current kernel.
A driver does not yet exist for this update.
I am away from home for the next 4 weeks and do not have access to my system at home to compile new drivers, but I think the last driver I compiled will work.

Download and install this driver with commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.17-v7-834.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.17-v7-834.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:14 pm
by arv187
Thank you very much! I think that this driver must be in raspberry pi official distribution. Thank you by your work. :D

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:58 pm
by pbr0
Openelec and OSMC both have a driver. I can't join my wifi with either one. I registered here to thank MrEngman.

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:41 pm
by arv187
Its strange, I have openelec and work, spot multiples networks. only in raspbian not work to me without MrEngman's driver.

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:51 am
by newbie_sg
Thank you MrEngman for all your good work. I managed to get my Edimax AC600 wifi dongle working using your instructions. It is due to selfless work of people like you that newbies like me are able to learn something. Thanks again.
Is there any way for these drivers to be included in the raspbian image?

Linux raspberrypi 4.1.18-v7+ #846

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:52 pm
by Robkav
Hi, I followed the instructions above for ew-7811utc on the Pi2 for 4.1.13-v7 826 but it just doesn't seem to work for me.
It appears
sudo cp 8812au.conf /etc/mod probe.d/.
sudo install -p -m 644 8812au.ko /lib/modules/4.1.13-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo depmod 4.1.13-v7+

Reboot to run the driver

If you have already configured your WiFi it should start up and connect to your wireless network.

If you have not configured your WiFi you will need to do that to enable the WiFi.

I'm not sure how to configure the WiFi. Any tips for a newbie?

Thank you,
Rob

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:51 pm
by MrEngman
Robkav wrote:Hi, I followed the instructions above for ew-7811utc on the Pi2 for 4.1.13-v7 826 but it just doesn't seem to work for me.
It appears
sudo cp 8812au.conf /etc/mod probe.d/.
sudo install -p -m 644 8812au.ko /lib/modules/4.1.13-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo depmod 4.1.13-v7+

Reboot to run the driver

If you have already configured your WiFi it should start up and connect to your wireless network.

If you have not configured your WiFi you will need to do that to enable the WiFi.

I'm not sure how to configure the WiFi. Any tips for a newbie?

Thank you,
Rob
I usually configure my wifi by editing file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Open a terminal window and use command

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
to edit the file. Set it up like

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="network-name"
        psk="network-password"
}
setting it up using the name and password for your network. You can terminate the editor and save the file with keys cntl-x, y, enter. Reboot and your wifi should start working.



MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:29 am
by jayzy
Hi MrEngman,

Can you compile for Raspberry Pi Zero? All drivers doesn't work on Pi Zero. But it works on Raspi2, and 3.

Thanks,

J

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:36 am
by MrEngman
jayzy wrote:Hi MrEngman,

Can you compile for Raspberry Pi Zero? All drivers doesn't work on Pi Zero. But it works on Raspi2, and 3.

Thanks,

J
It works on my Pi Zero. You need to download and install the correct version for it to work. Look here for how to get the right driver.



MrEngman

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:57 pm
by jayzy
Hi mrengman,

Mine was armv6l and kernel 4.1.19 #858

No -v7 but i do get that if i ran the same memory card from a raspberry pi 2 or 3

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:41 am
by MrEngman
jayzy wrote:Hi mrengman,

Mine was armv6l and kernel 4.1.19 #858

No -v7 but i do get that if i ran the same memory card from a raspberry pi 2 or 3
For Pi Zero, Pi A, A+, B or B+ use

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.19-858.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.19-858.tar.gz
./install.sh
with no "-v7" in the filename.

For Pi 2 B or 3 B use

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-4.1.19-v7-858.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.1.19-v7-858.tar.gz
./install.sh
with "-v7" in the filename.

Use command uname -a to find the kernel version and build to use to get the right filename for the driver file you need. More details here.



MrEngman