Steven57

Pi2 and SD Card

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:31 am

New 16GB microSD Card, formatted and latest version of NOOBS downloaded and installed. Raspbian was only boot choice.

Tried to use Raspi-Config to expand card and got message"Your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root file system is already expanded anyway."

WRONG! I have 2 GB usable space on this 16GB card and no means to expand it.
Help?

pegasis

Re: Pi2 and SD Card

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:12 am

I used a sony micro SD card

I updated the existing raspberry B image with the info given here;

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2

updated the raspberry B distro for raspberry 2

wrote the image from the SD card to a folder, then wrote it to the micro SD card.

said completed, but when I inspected the card I saw no files on it?

tried a total of 3 times with same result???

what am I missing

rpdom

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 am

Steven57 wrote:I have 2 GB usable space on this 16GB card and no means to expand it.
Help?
Are you sure? How did you check that?

NOOBS is usually pretty good at using the remaining space on the card for the root filesystem, giving it everything other than the space it needs for itself and its recovery files.

Could you show the output of these commands on your Pi, please

Code: Select all

df -h /
/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

rpdom

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:07 am

pegasis wrote:I used a sony micro SD card

I updated the existing raspberry B image with the info given here;

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2

updated the raspberry B distro for raspberry 2

wrote the image from the SD card to a folder, then wrote it to the micro SD card.

said completed, but when I inspected the card I saw no files on it?

tried a total of 3 times with same result???

what am I missing
This is a different problem to the one Steven57 has, so you should have started a new post instead of adding to this one.

Did you remember to "safely eject" your card after writing, then put it back in? If you don't do that then your Operating System may not realise the cards contents and layout have changed.

user007

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:31 am

Steven57 wrote:New 16GB microSD Card, formatted and latest version of NOOBS downloaded and installed. Raspbian was only boot choice.

Tried to use Raspi-Config to expand card and got message"Your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root file system is already expanded anyway."

WRONG! I have 2 GB usable space on this 16GB card and no means to expand it.
Help?
You may try using Berryboot - Boot menu/OS installer for ARM devices (http://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/).
It is needed to download 32.8MB zip file and to copy the unzipped files to a FAT or FAT32 formatted microSD card.
Then you may start RPI2 and add to the Berryboot main menu images of different RPI2 OS - Raspbian, Fedora 21, etc.
You may install many RPI2 OS on the same SD card. They are downloaded and installed at full Internet speed - easy and simple.

Steven57

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:09 pm

rpdom,,,you are correct. I used the file manager to get my numbers and didn't know what I was seeing.
using terminal and your commands showed the correct size.

user007,,,,do I have to have NOOBS on the card with the multi distros?
or do I just copy the multi distro files on a card and it will show me the options?

3corey2

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:17 pm

i assume you formated it before adding noobs and i assume its above a class 4 making it not reaalllly 16 gigabyte. remember the internal software on the sd card does take up room (but this gig seems high) comodo scan it for viruses (you can get viruses that take up large amount of space if they attach to several files) and any noobs download should not use that much space so i assuuummme that you dooo have other files on there. (also check if you have space on your card dedicated to speed). thats all i got, i hope you found your solution. my only question is what ALL do you have on the card?
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

Steven57

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:41 pm

3corey2

It's a Kingston Class4 16GB
Currently only NOOBS and Wheezy as it came from download. The space issue was resolved by rpdom.
I checked formatting with GParted and so far all my cards have already been formatted FAT32 from manufacturer with about 4MB of headspace. I'm doing a Class4 32GB now and it only showed 29GB of space. Putting BerryBoot and all the distros on it.

3corey2

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:47 pm

oh good, glad your problem is resolved.
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

user007

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Steven57 wrote: user007,,,,do I have to have NOOBS on the card with the multi distros?
or do I just copy the multi distro files on a card and it will show me the options?
Berryboot is alternative of NOOBS. You just need to copy the unzipped Berryboot files to a FAT or FAT32 formatted microSD card. That is all.
Then the Berryboot takes care for resizing the boot partition to 64MB, creating and formatting its own partition, etc. You just choose the images of RPI2 OS to be added to the main menu, you may backup/delete/restore images of different OS, etc. All the OS images in the list are working - you may install, test, backup/delete/restore them. You don't need to know anything about Linux partitions and so on. The OS images are downloaded from sourceforge.net at full Internet speed and installed immediately - easy and simple. Raspbian OS and Fedora 21 OS are my favorites from the list, you may try all the others.
You may have all the OS images in your personal main menu and choose one for loading from there. You may specify your favorite one OS from the main menu for loading by default (after a timeout) or choose another one in the beginning.

ScoobyDoo

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Think there might be some problems with Some of the kingston 16gb class 10 cards. Had the same problem myself with one I had delivered tiday.
Put raspbian on it and booted fine. Rebooted and it crashed big time and wouldnt boot.
Tried a couple of times and same result.
Then used a kingston 8gb and that was fine.
Either a dodgy batch of cards or something the pi2 doesnt like

Return to “Troubleshooting”