Raspberry Pi 2 Boot Issues

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Hello,

I just got a raspberry pi 2 and am unable to get it to boot. I cloned the SD card from my raspberry pi 1 after following these instructions to update raspbian:https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/02/13/up ... pberry_pi/

When I put the cloned micro SD card into the raspberry pi 2 it will not boot. Both the red and green LEDs are lit solid. If I use an adapter and put the card into the raspberry pi 1, it works. Does anyone have any idea what I can try next?

Thanks!

sk0re

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 Boot Issues

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I've had similar Problems and i found out that my long HDMI cable with a Switch was the Problem. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and boot the RPi 2. Maybe this is helpful.

B.Goode

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:25 pm

2390835 wrote:When I put the cloned micro SD card into the raspberry pi 2 it will not boot. Both the red and green LEDs are lit solid. If I use an adapter and put the card into the raspberry pi 1, it works. Does anyone have any idea what I can try next?
Was the original card for use with the RPi1 created by directly-imaging Raspbian, or did it use the NOOBS Installer?

If the latter, the 'firmware' files in the FAT-formatted partition that NOOBS boots from will not have been updated and will not support the RPi2.

There is a similar tutorial here: http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2

Look for the text "If you started from the plain Raspbian image, then you're done. If you have a NOOBs microSD card (perhaps one that you bought from the Pi Hut) then there are a few extra steps you need to go through." and perform the following steps.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks B.Goode!

It was a NOOBs SD card and your fix worked.

RDK

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello....I'm really struggling to get an SD card from my Raspberry Pi B+ to boot up on my new Raspberry Pi v2. I have read lots of web references, including the http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2 and others (http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... -2-model-b)

OK, my SD card from the Pi B+ was created from a NOOBS which I got with my original Pi's in the summer of 2014. It is working "perfectly" on my old units. After copying the NOOBS lite files to that SD card, as per the first reference, I see the multicolored screen and the for a brief few seconds the Raspberry Pi screen with the button for the recovery process. Then the monitor goes blank and the lights on the Pi are only: Red solid on and the other off.

Some of the references talk about updating the config.txt file with 'kernel=kernel17.img' and/or 'boot_delay=1', however on my SD card using Windows I do not see a boot partition, a config.txt or a kernel.img.

Can anyone help?.....RDK

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:36 pm

The boot sticky is the ultimate source, it contains ALL information about boot problems.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:42 pm

RDK wrote: Some of the references talk about updating the config.txt file with 'kernel=kernel17.img' and/or 'boot_delay=1', however on my SD card using Windows I do not see a boot partition, a config.txt or a kernel.img.
Boot it on the old machine while holding [SHIFT] and you can use the NOOBS config editor to update the right config.txt

Also since it's a NOOBS card you'll need to do the additional step to get it ready for a RPi2B.
http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

RDK

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Dougie...Thanks. I do not have access to my old Pi B+ right now. I will try this later and let you know.

I'm re-reading then sticky referenced in the other reply...RDK

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:04 pm

If you don't have access to a RPi then building a fresh SDCard on your laptop will be easier. You can mount the old SDCard using a USB reader with SD adapter to copy old stuff over to the new card.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

RDK

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Dougie.....As per the PiHut reference, I copied the NOOBS Lite files (except for the "recovery.cmdline" file) over those on my old Pi B+ SD card.

What other "stuff" needs to be copied onto the old SD card? I do not see a config.txt file.....RDK

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Use the NOOBS recovery editor. That will find the right config.

drgeoff

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:57 pm

@RDK

Why are you copying NOOBS-lite files from an existing card? That isn't going to give you anything you have done in OS(s) on that card. Might as well start with an up-to-date download. It is only a few tens of Megabytes.

RDK

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Success, but it required access to a Raspberry Pi B+, same vintage as my original!!!

Basically you have to read the PiHut reference (http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2) carefully and follow the directions. My SD card was created from NOOBS SD which came with my original unit (July 2015). The critical part that I missed was that the following had to be done on the original Raspberry Pi (or one of the same vintage). It will not work from a new Raspberry Pi v2 (and maybe not from a Raspberry Pi B+ which is currently being sold???)

So:
  • 1. sudo apt-get update
    2. sudo apt-get upgrade
    3. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    4. sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
    5. sudo shutdown -h now
    6. download the NOOBS Lite zip file from (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/)
    7. insert the SD card into your PC using a USB or SC adapter
    8. Extract the contents of the NOOBS Lite file (except the 'recovery.cmdline' file DIRECTLY onto the SD card image. Overwriting existing content
I first tried these steps directly on my new Pi v2 - does not work

Then I tried some other techniques as I did not have access to a Pi B+. No success.

Then, after I got access to a Pi B+, I did steps 1-5. No Success.

After I finally followed ALL of the steps: SUCCESS

....RDK

Return to “Troubleshooting”