Success, but it required access to a Raspberry Pi B+, same vintage as my original!!!
Basically you have to read the PiHut reference (http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2
) carefully and follow the directions. My SD card was created from NOOBS SD which came with my original unit (July 2015). The critical part that I missed was that the following had to be done on the original Raspberry Pi (or one of the same vintage). It will not work from a new Raspberry Pi v2 (and maybe not from a Raspberry Pi B+ which is currently being sold???)
- 1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get upgrade
3. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
4. sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
5. sudo shutdown -h now
6. download the NOOBS Lite zip file from (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/)
7. insert the SD card into your PC using a USB or SC adapter
8. Extract the contents of the NOOBS Lite file (except the 'recovery.cmdline' file DIRECTLY onto the SD card image. Overwriting existing content
I first tried these steps directly on my new Pi v2 - does not work
Then I tried some other techniques as I did not have access to a Pi B+. No success.
Then, after I got access to a Pi B+, I did steps 1-5. No Success.
After I finally followed ALL of the steps: SUCCESS