Quinnaay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Buffering help

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi i run my Pi2 with Openelec, and an Ethernet cable with 152mb connection yet i still experience bad buffer? I have done the zero cache trick and still the same can anyone advise?

tpylkko
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Buffering help

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:40 pm

What readbufferfactor are you using? What sd-card? With all that ram, you should use ram instead. Check router settings. what does

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0
say? Are you trying to view video from some internet site or local?

Quinnaay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Buffering help

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Will check if configuration when home.. I'm running openelec, 32gb sd card class 10 with partition as system and a USB 3.0 drive with partition named Storage.

Streaming from Internet site

tpylkko
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Buffering help

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Pi ethernet is 100 mb. But if you have a 4g router it may not allow one device to take that much. Also are prioriries set high in advancedsettings.xml? Is this 1080 video? Can other cpmputers on the lan see the same stream without problems,?

Quinnaay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Buffering help

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 pm

tpylkko wrote:Pi ethernet is 100 mb. But if you have a 4g router it may not allow one device to take that much. Also are prioriries set high in advancedsettings.xml? Is this 1080 video? Can other cpmputers on the lan see the same stream without problems,?
Here is the IFconfig (not sure what this means however i am downloading a 4gb file at the same time on the PS4)
# UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1669 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:557090 (544.0 KiB) TX bytes:324597 (316.9 KiB)


Here is my advancedsettings which i used from the Maintenance addon

<!-- zerocache -->
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<curlclienttimeout>45</curlclienttimeout>
</network>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
<videoscanner>
<ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors>
</videoscanner>
</advancedsettings>

How do i set high priority ? the buffering was only 720p too.

tpylkko
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Buffering help

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 pm

OK. 720p video should be no problem. Even if the network connection to the server over the internet is no the best, you should be able to avoid problems by adjusting buffering policies.

check out read buffer size, follow this guide
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/fix-raspber ... ng-issues/

I have never used the maintenance addon, so I don't even know what file it is that you are posting. :|
the advancedsettings.xml on openelec is at
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/

or with newer versions

/storage/.kodi/userdata

Quinnaay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Buffering help

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:27 pm

tpylkko wrote:OK. 720p video should be no problem. Even if the network connection to the server over the internet is no the best, you should be able to avoid problems by adjusting buffering policies.

check out read buffer size, follow this guide
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/fix-raspber ... ng-issues/

I have never used the maintenance addon, so I don't even know what file it is that you are posting. :|
the advancedsettings.xml on openelec is at
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/

or with newer versions

/storage/.kodi/userdata
Thanks for your patience, I tested stream again and it seems to still be buffering even with the edited advanced settings quoted above hmm..

Edit: must be certain streams some 720p film I'm trying now seems smooth..

tpylkko
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Buffering help

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:16 am

Here is the official kodi guide
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

What readbufferfactor are you using? Because with enough buffer and preloading you should be able to see almost any film without problems, I recon. I base this on the fact that according to netflix (a video streaming service) streaming 720p in real time requires about 5 mbps. Your connection is much faster and you have the option to set the buffer to 150 MB or more. Standard 720p video is 17 Mbps without compression, so 150 meg (for example) should be capable of storing 1½-2 minutes of the film. With an 8 GB card you could buffer an hour's worth! It's unlikely that your connection is dropping out for time periods of 2 minutes or more at a time very frequently as you would notice this since your internet would be essentially unusable. Since you are not using wifi, you're are not likely loosing packets or suffering from interference either. Then there is also the possibility that some device (perhaps the usb wifi adapter) is going to power-save mode/sleep after some while or something like that.

Quinnaay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Buffering help

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:49 pm

tpylkko wrote:Here is the official kodi guide
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

What readbufferfactor are you using? Because with enough buffer and preloading you should be able to see almost any film without problems, I recon. I base this on the fact that according to netflix (a video streaming service) streaming 720p in real time requires about 5 mbps. Your connection is much faster and you have the option to set the buffer to 150 MB or more. Standard 720p video is 17 Mbps without compression, so 150 meg (for example) should be capable of storing 1½-2 minutes of the film. With an 8 GB card you could buffer an hour's worth! It's unlikely that your connection is dropping out for time periods of 2 minutes or more at a time very frequently as you would notice this since your internet would be essentially unusable. Since you are not using wifi, you're are not likely loosing packets or suffering from interference either. Then there is also the possibility that some device (perhaps the usb wifi adapter) is going to power-save mode/sleep after some while or something like that.
Read buffer 4... What's the best..

3corey2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:59 am

Re: Buffering help

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:08 pm

i had that problem so i added heat sinks a fan and overclocked. then it worked just fine!
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

Quinnaay
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Buffering help

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:11 pm

3corey2 wrote:i had that problem so i added heat sinks a fan and overclocked. then it worked just fine!
Interesting.. My pi2 is overclocked but no heat sinks added.. My old pi ran smooth and it had heat sinks.

3corey2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:59 am

Re: Buffering help

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:40 pm

interresting... i just added them because it seemed like it would help... and it did...
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

tpylkko
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Buffering help

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:31 pm

I've never had any buffering problems. Never used heat sinks either.

Return to “Troubleshooting”