raf777

Last big update for Rasbian - 4h 30/07/2021

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:01 am

Hi there... Is anyone else experiencing "kernel panic" after big updating in rasbian?

It happened around 4h pm yesterday when there was no updates suddenly showed up a big one and It crashed twice my Twister OS second Rasbian OS. Now I am having a big one in Ubuntu as well, hopefully is not the same, with wouldn't make much sense.

Error is when It's started and the end is:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception.

Thanks

kerry_s

Re: Last big update for Rasbian - 4h 30/07/2021

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 am

no panic, using raspberry 64bit

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:24 am

A bug report is not useful without some details.
What are you running at the time? Is it reproducible?
If you connected by ssh before panic can you still interact (e.g. run dmesg)?
If not, is the panic visible on screen? A photo of that would help.

dom

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:31 pm

If you have a large gpu_mem setting in config.txt then remove it.

R4k1ta

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:31 am

dom wrote:
I have two identical ssd's with RetroPie and Raspbian. Both have gpu_mem = 512. Pi stops starting on the desktop (kernel panic) after upgrading the system to Raspbian (but before upgrading, on a "clean" system, with gpu_mem = 512 everything works.
After booting with this phenomenon, the desktop does not start, but the Pi is able to shutdown normally on command from the button.

kerry_s

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:14 am

R4k1ta wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:31 am
dom wrote:
I have two identical ssd's with RetroPie and Raspbian. Both have gpu_mem = 512. Pi stops starting on the desktop (kernel panic) after upgrading the system to Raspbian (but before upgrading, on a "clean" system, with gpu_mem = 512 everything works.
After booting with this phenomenon, the desktop does not start, but the Pi is able to shutdown normally on command from the button.
your actually making your systems slower.
cpu & gpu are 1024 shared, cpu is more important than gpu. gpu should be set at the minimum needed, so if you have a camera, you need 128 minimum, there is no need to go higher than 256, your just wasting it after that.

the default 76 is fine for the average user. i'm currently only using 24, cause the tasks i do are cpu intensive.

raf777

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:41 am

dom wrote: If you have a large gpu_mem setting in config.txt then remove it.
That was exactly it man. Thank you very much!!!

But to be honest, I don't get that. I was advised to not increase much gpu mem but It was working fine on 512 before updating Twister.
Even though, I've read in raspberry.org a documentation about this topic and It doesn't say you shouldn't set it too high. It just says its limited according with your memory ram version of raspberry pi. Mine is pi 4 8gb. So, I should be able to set way more than 512mb, shouldn't I?

Any more documentation that I could read about it?

jamesh

Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:35 am

raf777 wrote:

But to be honest, I don't get that. I was advised to not increase much gpu mem but It was working fine on 512 before updating Twister.
Even though, I've read in raspberry.org a documentation about this topic and It doesn't say you shouldn't set it too high. It just says its limited according with your memory ram version of raspberry pi. Mine is pi 4 8gb. So, I should be able to set way more than 512mb, shouldn't I?

256 is about all you will ever need. Its the memory allocated to the Videocore to do things like video codecs and camera handling, and once they have enough, any more is not used.. On the Pi4 or when using FKMS or KMS, it is not used for 3D, that comes from the main memory. So having a large GPU memory can waste memory that would be better used by the ARM's.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

dom

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 am

Also not all memory is equal. The GPU part of chip can only access the bottom 1GB of sdram.

Originally it used gpu_mem for this, but we are moving drivers from closed source firmware to open source arm kernel drivers, which allocate from CMA.

CMA has the big advantage that unused CMA can be used for standard linux things (e.g. browser/file cache etc). Whereas unused gpu_mem is just wasted.

The recent change that has hit some users is increasing CMA from 256M to 512M (when using fkms or kms driver). As CMA and gpu_mem both need to be in the bottom 1GB, having an unnecessarily large gpu_mem setting means cma+gpu+firmware+kernel no longer fits in the bottom 1GB and the system will no longer run.

Reduce the gpu_mem setting and not only will the system work again, but you will have more usable RAM than before.

R4k1ta

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am

jamesh wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:35 am
raf777 wrote:

256 is about all you will ever need. Its the memory allocated to the Videocore to do things like video codecs and camera handling, and once they have enough, any more is not used.. On the Pi4 or when using FKMS or KMS, it is not used for 3D, that comes from the main memory. So having a large GPU memory can waste memory that would be better used by the ARM's.
Here are the logs for you: 1) the history of package updates from the 31st 2) the log with gpu_mem = 512 before and after the update.
Memory size is now changed to 256, works. If there is no other pc or adapter for a flash drive nearby, it can be an unpleasant surprise :(

I was late with an answer. I can not delete the message, sorry.
Attachments
Desktop.7z
(195.43 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

cucarachacha

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:57 am

Hi everybody, I updated my Raspberry recently and run into trouble too. The load was at over 4 and the system wasn't usable at all. Additional I couldn't execute

Code: Select all

vcgencmd display_power
The command didn't return anything, it just freezed. I couldn't even stop it with control+c anymore. So I decided to use an old backup and halted the new kernel update until I know how to fix this.

After I've found this thread I checked my config.txt and couldn't find any gpu_mem option in it. So it seems that my problem is a little bit different. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Last edited by cucarachacha on Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dom

Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 am

It would help if you described your model of pi and any custom settings (e.g. post config.txt).
But assuming it's a pi4, then try changing:

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
to

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d,cma-256

cucarachacha

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 pm

I'm sorry. I'm using Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2 and these are the few uncommented lines in my config.txt (I removed the comments):

disable_overscan=1
dtparam=audio=off
max_framebuffers=2
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
display_rotate=1
avoid_warnings=1
disable_splash=1

dom

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:22 am

cucarachacha wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 pm
I'm sorry. I'm using Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2 and these are the few uncommented lines in my config.txt (I removed the comments):
Okay, try changing:

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-256
Note: your settings look strange. display_rotate doesn't work with the kms driver and max_framebuffers is unlikely to be wanted on a Pi3 with one hdmi socket.

cucarachacha

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks, I will test this.

max_framebuffer stands after [p4] so this shouldn't be active. I'm sorry I didn't copied this.

display_rotate works like intended at my system.

dom

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:09 am

cucarachacha wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:35 am
display_rotate works like intended at my system.
display_rotate won't work with kms driver.
Are you sure that `display_rotate` and `dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d` aren't in different sections?

cucarachacha

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 pm

This is my entire config.txt including sections and comments:

# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=off

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
display_rotate=1
avoid_warnings=1
disable_splash=1

dom

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:29 pm

cucarachacha wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 pm
This is my entire config.txt including sections and comments:
I don't believe the display_rotate=1 is doing anything considering you have kernel kms driver enabled (it knows nothing about config.txt settings, which are parsed by the firmware). Screen rotation is handled through X settings (e.g. the display configuration settings).

Specifying display_rotate unnecessarily will waste gpu memory.

Yabbie

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:08 pm

dom wrote:
I did this, and while it fixed the kernal panic (kernel panic not syncing system is deadlocked on memory), it seems to have had the byproduct of stoping CEC working.

I haven't changed my setup in the slightest (physically), but now my LG Magic Remote won't control my installation of Kodi.

I can't work out where (if anywhere) in Raspberry OS or Kodi I have to enable CEC. I haven't changed the TV's CEC settings, so what gives?

If there is something in Kodi that needs to be changed (don't know why that would be the case, considering I haven't changed any settings there, just did this update), can I do it from the command line, because I rely on CEC to control the GUI!

I'm sure I read somewhere ages ago that to get CEC with LG/Kodi to work you have to say you are controlling a "blu ray player", which I've done (and was my previous setup), but that doesn't seem to work now, and I don't know which manufacturer to choose (tried them all, none seem to work).

Why did having the large gpu_mem (I had 360) break everything? Was there any warning????

I think this is what frustrates many beginners with linux based systems - they are so easy to break, and rarely do things "just work".

I did notice this in the Kodi.log: NOTICE: Register - new cec device registered on cec->RPI: CEC Adapter (2708:1001)
But is that the link between the TV and the Pi4? It would seem the commands from the TV remote are not getting to the Pi, but why???? I haven't changed anything on the TV end??

Linux raspberrypi 5.10.52-v7l+ #1440 SMP Tue Jul 27 09:55:21 BST 2021 armv7l

So frustrating.

dom

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:27 pm

Yabbie wrote:
I did this, and while it fixed the kernal panic (kernel panic not syncing system is deadlocked on memory), it seems to have had the byproduct of stoping CEC working.
See this github issue. A potential fix to cec on pi4 using fkms has gone to rpi-update. I'm waiting to hear confirmation the fix worked.

Edit: Just had a report that rpi-update firmware has fixed the cec issue.

jamesh

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 pm

Yabbie wrote:
Why did having the large gpu_mem (I had 360) break everything? Was there any warning????

I think this is what frustrates many beginners with linux based systems - they are so easy to break, and rarely do things "just work".
A corollary of this is why did you change the gpu_mem setting away from the default? We know default setting work, so in effect you broke the system by changing it. So it would be interesting to know why you changed it so we can fix whatever documentation cause you to change it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

cucarachacha

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm

dom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:22 am

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-256
That did the trick! Thank you very much!

P.S. You are right with the display_rotate. I've commented it out and nothing changed. Maybe I've rotated my screen elsewhere and this was just a leftover from my first steps. I apologize for the discussion.

Yabbie

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:02 am

dom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:27 pm
Yabbie wrote:
See this github issue. A potential fix to cec on pi4 using fkms has gone to rpi-update. I'm waiting to hear confirmation the fix worked.

Edit: Just had a report that rpi-update firmware has fixed the cec issue.
Thank you for the help and reply @dom, especially considering my whiney post. I'm sorry for that, I was just frustrated.

Good to know it wasn't me (sorta).

Just now, I did a sudo apt update, but all packages are up to date. Does that mean the fix hasn't gone 'live', or is there some other way/thing I need to update?

Yabbie

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:18 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 pm
Yabbie wrote:

A corollary of this is why did you change the gpu_mem setting away from the default? We know default setting work, so in effect you broke the system by changing it. So it would be interesting to know why you changed it so we can fix whatever documentation cause you to change it.
Hi @jamesh,

I read it somewhere in relation to 4K playback. I have a 4GB Pi 4. I set the value to 256 via raspi-config. The default (as reported by raspi-config) was 64, but https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /memory.md says the default for my Pi should be 76?

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I use my Pi primarily for video playback using Kodi.

Are you able to tell me what what value I should have for gpu_mem to get the best performance for 4K playback with my setup?

This is my config file:

# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
gpu_mem=256
The entries under [all] interest me. Do they look 'correct' to you?

So in answer to your question, where did I get the idea for changing gpu_mem, I saw it on a website to do with setting up Kodi.
On here, it makes mention of 256 viewtopic.php?f=35&t=249195
I think I saw something on the Kodi forums too.

So my fault, I chose to change it, but that's roughly where I got the info.

Yabbie

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:25 am

I have another problem since the update too.

I can play back 4K and 1080p in Kodi, but not lower resolutions. When I try, I get a pixelated screen, then it goes black and that's it!

Sorry that's not heaps of info to go on, but I'm guessing it's a Pi configuration issue (to do with video) since the update?

This looks relevant from the kodi.log:

2021-08-03 01:33:20.346 T:2972810336  NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: Video.mp4
2021-08-03 01:33:20.349 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
2021-08-03 01:33:20.353 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
2021-08-03 01:33:20.543 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 256
2021-08-03 01:33:20.543 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 173
2021-08-03 01:33:20.543 T:2258153680   ERROR: CMMALVideo::Open : Video codec unknown: ad
2021-08-03 01:33:20.543 T:2258153680  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: hevc
2021-08-03 01:33:20.545 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Creating video thread
2021-08-03 01:33:20.545 T:2278625488  NOTICE: running thread: video_thread
2021-08-03 01:33:20.545 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Opening stream: 1 source: 256
2021-08-03 01:33:20.545 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Finding audio codec for: 86017
2021-08-03 01:33:20.545 T:2258153680  NOTICE: CDVDAudioCodecFFmpeg::Open() Successful opened audio decoder mp3float
2021-08-03 01:33:20.545 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Creating audio thread
2021-08-03 01:33:20.546 T:2229268688  NOTICE: running thread: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process()
2021-08-03 01:33:20.547 T:2278625488  NOTICE: CDecoder::Open - fmt:187
2021-08-03 01:33:20.556 T:2229268688  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86017, channels: 2, sample rate: 44100, no pass-through)
2021-08-03 01:33:20.964 T:2278625488  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::CDropControl: calculated diff time: 43643
2021-08-03 01:33:31.917 T:2972810336  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()
2021-08-03 01:33:31.920 T:2258153680  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::OnExit()
2021-08-03 01:33:31.920 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Closing stream player 1
2021-08-03 01:33:31.920 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Waiting for audio thread to exit
2021-08-03 01:33:31.940 T:2229268688  NOTICE: thread end: CVideoPlayerAudio::OnExit()
2021-08-03 01:33:31.940 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Closing audio device
2021-08-03 01:33:31.989 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Deleting audio codec
2021-08-03 01:33:31.990 T:2258153680  NOTICE: Closing stream player 2
2021-08-03 01:33:31.990 T:2258153680  NOTICE: waiting for video thread to exit
2021-08-03 01:33:31.995 T:2972810336  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
2021-08-03 01:33:32.026 T:2278625488  NOTICE: thread end: video_thread
2021-08-03 01:33:32.027 T:2258153680  NOTICE: deleting video codec
2021-08-03 01:33:32.036 T:2972810336  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: finished waiting
2021-08-03 01:33:32.036 T:2972810336  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()
2021-08-03 01:33:32.036 T:2972810336  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
2021-08-03 01:33:32.036 T:2972810336  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: finished waiting
2021-08-03 01:33:52.284 T:2972810336  NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: Video.mp4
2021-08-03 01:33:52.286 T:2220875984  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
2021-08-03 01:33:52.292 T:2220875984  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
2021-08-03 01:33:52.488 T:2220875984  NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 256
2021-08-03 01:33:52.488 T:2220875984  NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 173
2021-08-03 01:33:52.488 T:2220875984   ERROR: CMMALVideo::Open : Video codec unknown: ad
2021-08-03 01:33:20.346 T:2972810336 NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: Video.mp4
2021-08-03 01:33:20.543 T:2258153680 ERROR: CMMALVideo::Open : Video codec unknown: ad

2021-08-03 01:33:52.284 T:2972810336 NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: Video.mp4
2021-08-03 01:33:52.488 T:2220875984 ERROR: CMMALVideo::Open : Video codec unknown: ad

Could be some (new) issue with mp4 playback? Those files referenced above used to work before the big update.

Return to “Troubleshooting”