allanoptical

Problem with SDcopier

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:40 am

I have a Pi 4 which has been setup to boot from a USB device but at the moment I am booting from a mSD card in the on board card reader.

I wish to make a copy of the boot card using SDCopier but it fails. When I run it I am offered /dev/mmcblk0 as the source and two destinations /dev/sda and /dev/sdb but there is only one card inserted to be copied to. When I select either of these and start the run I see the usual warning messages but then get a message "Could not create partition" This also corrupts the card.

Two separate mSD cards have been tried. One has been reformatted using Raspberry Pi Imager and I have written a simple text file to it on the Pi. I therefore think the cards are ok.

I suspect I am making a silly mistake but cannot see what it is. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

pidd

Re: Problem with SDcopier

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Can you show results of following when booted from SD card and the target SD card is in the reader.

Code: Select all

lsblk

RonR

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:26 pm

allanoptical wrote:
I have a Pi 4 which has been setup to boot from a USB device but at the moment I am booting from a mSD card in the on board card reader.

I wish to make a copy of the boot card using SDCopier but it fails.

Assuming that you're running Raspberry Pi OS...

usb-boot will copy your running system (SD card or USB device) to a USB device (including an SD card in a USB adapter).

image-backup will create an image file of your running system that can then be written to an SD card or USB device.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:53 pm

allanoptical wrote:

I wish to make a copy of the boot card using SDCopier but it fails. When I run it I am offered /dev/mmcblk0 as the source and two destinations /dev/sda and /dev/sdb but there is only one card inserted to be copied to. When I select either of these and start the run I see the usual warning messages but then get a message "Could not create partition" This also corrupts the card.

What are you trying to copy to? Is it another uSD card in a USB card reader/writer with more than one slot? (There was a thread a while ago where that led to two destination devices and caused similar "confusion")
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

allanoptical

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:53 am

Thank all you for your comments.
I am using a an adaptor that will take either a full SD card or a micro so this may be the problem.
These comments do give me somewhere to start again.

Return to “Troubleshooting”