Duffl

Low voltage warning despite official power supply?

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi!

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4b in a Argon One M.2 case with a M.2 SSD
Connected to USB are standard Logitech keyboard and mouse and a touchscreen monitor. The Monitor is connected via HDMI. Nothing else.

Even though I only use the recommended official power supply, I am sporadically getting the "low voltage" warning, sometimes accompanied by the yellow lightning symbol.

So, I am wondering - does anyone in the community know if that may already be too much for the Raspi? It seems a bit strange as it provides 4 USB ports but doesnt seem to be able to handle if those are being used by such low-power devices as I am using here.

Or may it be that this is a known bug, is it possible that the warning is somehow faulty?
I had the idea of this being a bug as I have been using that configuration for over a week several hours per day and never did this warning show up. Actually while testing that week, I additionally had connected an unpowered usb-hub along with a usb stick. So the load today was actually less than it was during the last week, but only today this warning appeared. At the moment, this seems not really logical...

Thank you in advance!

SpyGuy

Re: Low voltage warning despite official power supply?

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 pm

It could be that the outlet is not providing enough power. Try switching to another one and taking off usb peripherals to see if you don't get the warnings anymore

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Duffl wrote:
Or may it be that this is a known bug, is it possible that the warning is somehow faulty?
In my experience that is highly unlikely.
Many low power situations exists because unsuitable cables are used.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 pm

An M.2 SSD does not fit my definition of a low power device.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:37 pm

Duffl wrote:
Hi!

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4b in a Argon One M.2 case with a M.2 SSD
Connected to USB are standard Logitech keyboard and mouse and a touchscreen monitor. The Monitor is connected via HDMI. Nothing else.

Even though I only use the recommended official power supply, I am sporadically getting the "low voltage" warning, sometimes accompanied by the yellow lightning symbol.

So, I am wondering - does anyone in the community know if that may already be too much for the Raspi? It seems a bit strange as it provides 4 USB ports but doesnt seem to be able to handle if those are being used by such low-power devices as I am using here.

I had the idea of this being a bug as I have been using that configuration for over a week several hours per day and never did this warning show up. Actually while testing that week, I additionally had connected an unpowered usb-hub along with a usb stick. So the load today was actually less than it was during the last week, but only today this warning appeared. At the moment, this seems not really logical...

Thank you in advance!

You have a total of 1200mA available for USB (not per port), therefore you need to ascertain how much you are drawing :

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ower-specs
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

Imperf3kt

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:30 pm

The argon one m.2 case has an extra board between the power in and the Pi. This board also converts the mini hdmi into full size hdmi and is extended to the Pi inside the case via another cable.
As seen here
https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-m-2-c ... -pi-4.html

Is the power in port dirty? Seated properly on both the Pi and extra connection? Do they use quality wiring or have you inadvertently bought a "fake" which may look identical to the actual product, but isn't the actual product (thinking of the NES Pi case fakes here, which looked like the official product in the outside, but used cheap, low quality wiring inside to extend the ports to the outside of the case, and caused a lot of voltage drop.)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

pidd

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 am

drgeoff wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 pm
An M.2 SSD does not fit my definition of a low power device.
+1

RossDv8

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:16 am

I had this problem from the moment I started running a large capacity USB external hard drive from the Pi 4B. Clicking noises from the drive as it was spinning up (a relatively new drive that is fine on other computers) and the low voltage message in the top right corner all the time.

The Pi is in a normal acrylic case with a fan, and does not have the problem with low capacity hard drives. 2TB or more though and it hates them.

My previous Pi 4B had a similar more or less generic case design, and a different but also pretty generic fan and had the same problem.

Once it was running it was mostly ok except for the warning. Likewise the old Pi 4B, so I decided the new one would have the Genuine Pi 4 adapter.

I swapped the Genuine Raspberry Pi adapter for yet another 3.5A adapter, but it was the same.

Last week I got annoyed with it and bought a 5A USB C adapter (Comsol UC-PD100).
The PI loves it !!
The HDD thanks me !!
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Duffl

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 am

Hey wow, so many answers and all in such detail!
You are great, thank you to all of you!!

Return to “Troubleshooting”