althas

Re: Low voltage warning message text

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:36 pm
Not sure if this works but might be an option that doesn't actually remove the plugin completely, just disables it.

R Click on the desktop task bar
Select Add/Remove panel items
Scroll down to the battery plugin
Remove.
Wonderful, thank you :)

tombrad2

Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:15 pm

I guess the "Low voltage warning" either is a bug or an attempt to force the use of certain specific power supplies. I have tried with several power supplies, regulated, etc. and the message always appears, it only closes if I low the voltaje input to 5.7Volts with a 3 Amperes power sourde, so, in my view it is a bug and I eliminate the warning, uninstalling the battery checker.

I am quite sure that nothing terrible will happen doing that, by the way I am electronic engineer, arrivederci warning!

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Correct - it's an attempt to encourage the use of power supplies that can consistently maintain a high enough voltage level under load. Over the years, thousands of man-hours must been lost to random crashes and WiFi/Bluetooth/USB failures that are all magically cured when the SoC and peripherals get enough power. Sometimes this is down to the supply itself, other times it is due to a bad cable or inline switch, all of which are easily avoidable.
I am quite sure that nothing terrible will happen doing that, by the way I am electronic engineer, arrivederci warning!
Good luck - I hope that works out for you.

Imperf3kt

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:18 pm

tombrad2 wrote:
it only closes if I low the voltaje input to 5.7Volts with a 3 Amperes power source
That's a bit too high, you should not really exceed the posted specs which are 4.75v to 5.25v with 5.1v being preferred.
If you have to use that high a voltage it means you're losing a lot of power through your cable before it reaches the Pi and you risk damaging or destroying something as you're operating it beyond its spec and near its limit.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

LTolledo

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:03 pm

tombrad2 wrote:
I guess the "Low voltage warning" either is a bug or an attempt to force the use of certain specific power supplies. I have tried with several power supplies, regulated, etc. and the message always appears, it only closes if I low the voltaje input to 5.7Volts with a 3 Amperes power sourde, so, in my view it is a bug and I eliminate the warning, uninstalling the battery checker.

am not using specific power supply (or as some might mis-interpret as Official RPF PSU)

there are some PSUs that label themselves as 5.0v 3A, but when used on a RPi3B there is low voltage warning
there are some PSUs that are 5.0v 2.4A, but does not show low voltage warning on RPi3B

the difference between the two? the cable used was thinner on the 3A version, as well as the presence of an in-line switch
the 2.4A version has thicker cables and no in-line switch....

if you are using dupont jumpers (or thin cables) to supply power to your RPi, then you'll get those warnings anytime.
increasing the voltage setting of the source may be your "interim" solution,
however once the cables are replaced with thicker ones without adjusting the voltage down, you'll damage your RPi.

so its not only specific power supply, but specific power supply and power cable.

on most of my "power hungry" setups, I use a buck converter board to supply power to the RPI via the GPIO headers.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=266296&p=1617905#p1617905
the voltage is set to 5.1v.
no voltage warnings ever!

this SSD boot RPi4B-4GB that am using to post this is powered via a buck converter
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

smirkingman

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Reading the many threads on this subject, I am surprised at the litany of "get a good power supply" where it is considered unthinkable that the message and the lightning bolt could just possibly be due to something else than the power supply.

My Pi3B developed this annoying behaviour. I replaced the power supply with a laboratory power supply at 5.10V, capable of 10 amps, connected with a USB cable that is barely 20cm long. I scoped the power during boot, it was stable to less than 10 millivolts and I still got the warning and the lightning bolt.

I then applied mikenikesystems solution:
1. Navigate to Preferences > Add/Remove Software
2. Search for Battery
3. Disable the "battery monitor plugin for lxpanel"
and the problem disappeared after re-boot.

Conclusion: This problem is generated by that battery monitor (or something that it relies on). Period.

PhilE

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Run "vcgencmd get_throttled" - unless the result is 0 you have a problem.

Imperf3kt

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:11 pm

smirkingman wrote:
Reading the many threads on this subject, I am surprised at the litany of "get a good power supply" where it is considered unthinkable that the message and the lightning bolt could just possibly be due to something else than the power supply.

My Pi3B developed this annoying behaviour. I replaced the power supply with a laboratory power supply at 5.10V, capable of 10 amps, connected with a USB cable that is barely 20cm long. I scoped the power during boot, it was stable to less than 10 millivolts and I still got the warning and the lightning bolt.

2. Search for Battery

Conclusion: This problem is generated by that battery monitor (or something that it relies on). Period.
The problem isn't generated by the battery monitor, that battery monitor detects and reports when there is a problem. What you suggest is like saying your check engine light coming on in your car is why your engine exploded.

If you've read a large number of replies on this forum instructing people to get a better power supply or cable, you should know why it is suggested and that it is for good reason the official power supply is recommended.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

jamesh

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 pm

smirkingman wrote:
It will be either the power supply, or the cable, OR, in incredible rare circumstances (as in, never heard of it happening), a HW failure on the board, in the power detection circuitry.

All the message does is report what the power detection circuitry has encountered. Turning off the warning hasn't stopped the power problem happening, it's just stopped reporting that it has happened. Which is worse because you now have no idea you have a power problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

LTolledo

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:05 pm

Problem: Car with low fuel warning light flashing continuously
Solution: cut the wire to the warning light
Problem solved!.....
yeah right :mrgreen:

Some people be like:

B.Goode

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:52 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Problem solved!.....

Clearly you have not appreciated the conspiracy at play here...

That flashing light on the car dashboard was installed as part of a collaboration with the fuel companies, to deceive us into wastefully filling up the tank with their product.

Similarly, without the 'low voltage' warning that offers the pretence that it is monitoring the health of the chip at the heart of the RPi board whole generations of Pi-users might happily go about their lives without paying for a 'genuine' RPi-branded Power Supply.

[Or maybe the Engineers at Raspberry Pi know their job and what the power supply requirement of their product is. That's the version I would prefer to believe.]

LTolledo

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:52 pm
LTolledo wrote:
Problem solved!.....

Clearly you have not appreciated the conspiracy at play here...

That flashing light on the car dashboard was installed as part of a collaboration with the fuel companies, to deceive us into wastefully filling up the tank with their product.

Similarly, without the 'low voltage' warning that offers the pretence that it is monitoring the health of the chip at the heart of the RPi board whole generations of Pi-users might happily go about their lives without paying for a 'genuine' RPi-branded Power Supply.

[Or maybe the Engineers at Raspberry Pi know their job and what the power supply requirement of their product is. That's the version I would prefer to believe.]

yes. I do appreciate "conspiracy theories".... and the "anti-conspiracy" ones as well.... :D

most of regulars here know that I power my RPi projects by other (un-official) means ;)
and not bothered by "warning texts" or whatever one might call it, because it never shows up (no, I have not "cut the wires")

Some people be like:

marciano

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 pm

For almost 2 years I have a RPi 3 B+ playing every day a slideshow from 7am to 10pm.
It has its original 2.5Amp USB power supply.
Recently I closed the slideshow to test a videoshow using omxplayer in a script. 1920x1080 videos, HDMI screen.
After an hour or so that message Low Voltage Warnig start appearing in the upper right corner of the screen.
Videos are loading from a micro SD card in a USB reader I attached.
What could be wrong here?
Even I close the videoshow and unplug the card reader the warning remains there until I reboot
Up-to-date Buster
Thank you

OcoBri

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 pm

I just started getting the same low voltage message on my old 3B that I just updated.
I am fine with fixing the actual problem rather than disabling the message, but no one addressed that.
I am using a generic phone charger wall to USB to power the RPi as I have always done. What is the correct solution?

Thank you

drgeoff

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm

OcoBri wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 pm
I just started getting the same low voltage message on my old 3B that I just updated.
I am fine with fixing the actual problem rather than disabling the message, but no one addressed that.
I am using a generic phone charger wall to USB to power the RPi as I have always done. What is the correct solution?

Thank you
The correct solution is to use a power supply, not a charger. There is a reason that the official RPI PSUs are highly regarded. They work well and are reasonably priced.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

radnor302

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:13 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
smirkingman wrote:

2. Search for Battery

The problem isn't generated by the battery monitor, that battery monitor detects and reports when there is a problem. What you suggest is like saying your check engine light coming on in your car is why your engine exploded.

If you've read a large number of replies on this forum instructing people to get a better power supply or cable, you should know why it is suggested and that it is for good reason the official power supply is recommended.
I HAVE the original OFFICIAL ps. SAME problem seems to arrived after upgrade.

jamesh

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 am

radnor302 wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:
smirkingman wrote:

What do you have plugged in to the Pi. You should not get a warning with the official supply unless you have some demanding USB devices attached.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

jbudd

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:21 pm

radnor302 wrote:
I guess it's possible that an upgrade could cause/allow the Pi to consume slightly more power, but strange that you see the problem using the official PSU. It must have been close to the edge beforehand.

It would be interesting to know if the problem goes away again if you install an older version of the OS, on a spare SD card maybe, and comes back when you upgrade it.

alphanumeric

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Might also be a failing power supply? If you have a spare I'd swap it in and see if the warning goes away.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:41 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:08 pm
Might also be a failing power supply? If you have a spare I'd swap it in and see if the warning goes away.
+1
@radnor302 which "official" power supply? Eg. is it one of these types: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... _Models.29 ? Or was it supplied with a "Pi Kit"? (Some kits are supplied with similar supplies, presumed equivalent, but not always so, to the "official" ones and there have been examples reported in other threads that have not worked as well as they might have been expected to). Also, to re-iterate @jamesh's question - what do you have plugged into the USB ports? Have you checked that the current required by such does not exceed 1200mA ?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

radnor302

Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:56 pm

It was a kit that the PS came in.
Only other thing plugged in is a SSD.

I see entries in syslog and another log where it says power issue then another entry power ok.

LTolledo

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:06 pm

can you post an image of that "official power supply" of yours that came with "the kit"...
dont post links, we need an image of the actual item you have...with your setup..

then we'll know if its a "genuine official power supply"..... or just one claiming to be one

also show us the "log" files that you are seeing

...troubleshooting by imagination and guessing leads to nowhere....

Some people be like:

radnor302

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:21 am

un 19 20:16:06 Bentina kernel: [3757875.736231] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
Jun 19 20:16:10 Bentina kernel: [3757879.896225] rpi_firmware_get_throttled: 1 callbacks suppressed
Jun 19 20:16:10 Bentina kernel: [3757879.896239] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
Jun 19 20:16:25 Bentina kernel: [3757894.456359] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
Jun 19 20:16:29 Bentina kernel: [3757898.616381] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
Jun 19 20:16:37 Bentina kernel: [3757906.936453] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
Jun 19 20:16:44 Bentina kernel: [3757913.176436] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
Jun 19 20:17:01 Bentina CRON[24035]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Return to “Troubleshooting”