natetran

Boot problem not covered in sticky

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi everyone, I'm having a booting problem. I know theres a sticky but the info is pretty old and it doesnt seem to address the problem.

Pi 4b 4gb, 128gb sdxc. RPi OS/ RPi OS full, imaged with pi imager. Tried with two separate sd cards.
mmc0: error -110 whilst initializing SD card

It images fine, the cards format fine, and on both cards the pi booted and went through setup and operation fine, but after a few boots (2nd boot on the 2nd card), i get the above error.

Forums suggested that the issue was a faulty card, potentially a knockoff (amazon), so I bought a brand new card from the store with the same error coming up. I had read that there would be no problems with cards under 256gb if using Pi imager.

I also just tried with Balena etcher, and same thing: images successfully, boots up, setup runs, sudo raspi-config > enable ssh/ vnc/ camera, reboot, error -110.

Any insight?

natetran

Re: Boot problem not covered in sticky

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:08 pm

I've been playing around with things and can provide the following additional information:
- on occasion the pi4 will boot the os for the first time without issue (not always)
- the pi will always display the error the second time booting.
- after this error is displayed, pi os boots without issue on my old pi1b+.
-after shutdown and reinserting the sd card into the pi4, it boots without displaying the error and runs smoothly
-after shutdown/ reboot, the pi once again fails to boot, displaying the same error.

What is going on??? This is ridiculous.

Return to “Troubleshooting”