filipefreire

Raspberry Pi 4 4gb not booting | Vertical Lines on Display

Mon May 03, 2021 10:17 am

Hello all!

I've been using my Raspberry Pi 4 (4gb model) with Kodi as a media interface for over a year now, with no issues. But yesterday, I tried booting it as usual and the only thing that appeared on screen were some vertical lines (img attached in this post). After many failed attempts to solve the issue, I'm hoping to get some more knowledgeable feedback here. =)

Here's what I've tried so far:
-> I've tried booting a different OS (Raspbian) in another SD Card, to discard sd card corruption. Bear in mind it was working previously to this issue;
-> I've switched to another HDMI port in my TV;
-> I've connected the HDMI-mini cable to the other port in the Raspberry Pi;

I've also tried leaving it plugged on for a couple of minutes and finding it through Bluetooth/network devices through my laptop. No devices show there now, whether before I could connect this way seamlessly.

Could it be the HDMI-mini to HDMI cable? I don't have another one lying around, so I cannot test that, unfortunately...

Also, what are the odds of this being an actual Raspberry Pi issue (board related)? I really hope it is not, but I wouldn't know!

Thank you so much in advance!
Attachments
raspberry Pi 4 - display issue.jpg
Vertical Lines on Display
raspberry Pi 4 - display issue.jpg (121.3 KiB) Viewed 245 times

filipefreire

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 4gb not booting | Vertical Lines on Display

Mon May 03, 2021 4:25 pm

UPDATE: I've noticed that the green light in the Raspberry pi blinks 8 times and then stays on forever. I have also used the Raspberry Pi imager to write a new Raspbian version on the SD Card, but it also didn't boot.

cleverca22

Mon May 03, 2021 5:20 pm

8 blinks is sdram failure, it might be dead, any visible damage to the board?

filipefreire

Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 am

No, the Raspberry Pi has been kept untouched really, no damage to it whatsoever... Unfortunate that is the case then :/ Anything I can do?

cleverca22

Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 pm

filipefreire wrote:
No, the Raspberry Pi has been kept untouched really, no damage to it whatsoever... Unfortunate that is the case then :/ Anything I can do?
only thing i can think of is to RMA with the site you bought it from, but a year might be too long

filipefreire

Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 am

cleverca22 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 pm
filipefreire wrote:
only thing i can think of is to RMA with the site you bought it from, but a year might be too long
Yes, I'm afraid so as well. And I also moved to a new country recently so the process would be even more complicated... Thank you for your time and input nonetheless! Appreciate it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”