MarcusCato

Raspberry Pi 4 model B (2018) - does not boot; solid green light

Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 am

Hello,

My Raspberry Pi 4, bought new about 4 weeks ago, stopped booting all of a sudden. The green light is a solid on, with or without the SD card (which is not OK). The red light is a solid on (which is OK).

I tried these steps:
1) Completely erased the SD card, using the Raspberry Pi Imager

2) Attempted EEPROM boot recovery using Raspberry Pi Imager by following instructions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md

When I put the SD card in, the green light stayed a solid on, even after several seconds, which seems like, as per the the forums, that the EEPROM boot recovery did not work. I tried connecting an HDMI monitor, but the monitor did not detect any signal (no green screen or anything).

3) I installed Raspbian OS from the Raspberry Pi Imager on the SD card

When I put the card in, the green light stayed a solid on, ever after several seconds.

I am using an official Raspberry Pi charger and a San Disk 32 GB SDHC card w/ a Samsung adapter for microSD.

I disconnected everything from the Raspberry Pi except power supply, but it simply won't boot.

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 model B (2018) - does not boot; solid green light

Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 am

If the recovery SD card doesn't result in an image on the display or a rapidly flashing green LED then your Pi has probably developed a fault. What hardware have you been using with the Pi? Some of the header pins carry 5V and shorting them against other pins can be fatal to the Pi.

MarcusCato

Thu May 06, 2021 12:33 pm

PhilE wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 am
If the recovery SD card doesn't result in an image on the display or a rapidly flashing green LED then your Pi has probably developed a fault. What hardware have you been using with the Pi? Some of the header pins carry 5V and shorting them against other pins can be fatal to the Pi.
No hardware. I have only connect Raspberry camera, keyboard, mouse, and HDMI cable for monitor and power supply. I did not use the header pins

thatchunkylad198966

Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm

If you've had it 4 weeks and haven't destroyed it yourself, send an RMA.

MarcBoon

Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm

I had exactly the same problem. Got my Pi4B/2G yesterday, played with it a bit, and now it won't boot. Both leds permanently on, with or without SD card present.

I re-flashed the boot loader as in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
That seemed to work (green led keeps flashing after it was done).

Then I re-installed Pi OS and it rebooted again.

In hindsight the problem was probably caused by an application that I tested which changed the bootloader: https://www.binaryemotions.com/digital- ... l-signage/

I decided to go with another package after all..
Last edited by MarcBoon on Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarcusCato

Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm
If you've had it 4 weeks and haven't destroyed it yourself, send an RMA.
Do I just contact CanaKits or does Raspberry Pi handle this? I emailed CanaKits but got no response.

Seeing the forums there are lots of Raspberry Pis that just got the "green light of death". I am not left to wonder if they are as reliable as people claim?

MarcusCato

Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Hello, for edification of other folks who may have run into same issues. No matter what I tried (EEPROM reset, re-formatting SD card etc) I could not get the Raspberry Pi to boot up. However, CanaKit processed the return very quickly and sent me a new one.

Return to “Troubleshooting”