KnitKnotWood

How to turn of narrator?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

I am asking this question for my ten year old, so please bear with me as I am completely out of my depth here!

She turned on her Raspberry PI today to find that a robot-type voice now speaks out every action she does, for example each key she presses or whatever she points to with the mouse. We have tried looking for answers on the forum and google, which is difficult as we don't know what has made this happen or even what it is called! We have dubbed it the 'narrator'. My daughter has autism and received the Raspberry Pi starter pack as a Christmas gift, but the narrator has made it too frustrating for her to use. Does anyone know what I mean and how we can turn it off?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: How to turn of narrator?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Launch recommended software from the preferences in the main menu, and uninstall Orca.

Not sure how it's turned itself on, it's a screen reader for the visually impaired.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

KnitKnotWood

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for the information, she has no idea how it happened!

KnitKnotWood

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Unfortunately she can't uninstall orca, it comes up with an error message saying it has unmet dependencies.

Any other ideas?

jamesh

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:08 pm

KnitKnotWood wrote:
Unfortunately she can't uninstall orca, it comes up with an error message saying it has unmet dependencies.

Any other ideas?
OK, will get the guys who knows to help out.

jamesh

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:16 pm

KnitKnotWood wrote:

Any other ideas?
Can you post on here the exact error message? We don't see any errors on standard install so interested to know what package is causing the problem.

TDC

Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:21 pm

I accidentally added the Orca application from the Universal Access > Recommend Software and I too can't uninstall it.

The error message I am getting is:

Error removing packages - The following packages have unmet dependencies:
pimixer: Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0(>=0.10.14) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgstreamer0.10-0(>= 0.10.14) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-base but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gstreamer0.10-alsa: Depends: libgstreamer0.010-(>= 0.10.36) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10--0(>= 0.10.36) but it is not going to be installed

Please let me know what I should do!

Thank you!

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:15 am

I've always found aptitude (the apt curses GUI thing) to be good at working out those unmet dependency problems.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

helenmar

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 am

ok, took me playing around. First preferences>mainmenu editor click on the prefernces tab you want to check mark desktop session settings. then click ok. Now go to your preferences normally click on that new icon and in that menu there will be a check box you can click to turn orca off

JayBlingham

Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:14 pm

Thank you for this. For me, this happened when I installed a different DE, and of course it was very loud and very early in the morning (sorry dear, time to wake up :D). Doesn't seem to matter which DE either, but it happened with Xfce and MATE when I installed them on my Raspberry Pi 400. Your solution of turning off in "Desktop Session Settings" works in both of the above, as well as LXDE if you choose to go back to it without first uninstalling ORCA.

Jay

silky_milk

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:57 am

Thanks helenmar your instructions worked. It didn't work for me immediately though I had to reboot. Finally evil British guy is gone.. rip

nexusguy59

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 am

Orca is not installed by default at least not on the one I did tonight. I had to install orca and then reboot and uninstall to get the VERY ANNOYING narrator to stop. Why would this get turned on at all by default? Doesn't make sense.
Michael A Cooper
Linux Certified / Docker Certified
http://www.coopfire.com

DirkS

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:43 am

nexusguy59 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 am
Orca is not installed by default at least not on the one I did tonight. I had to install orca and then reboot and uninstall to get the VERY ANNOYING narrator to stop. Why would this get turned on at all by default? Doesn't make sense.
Eh... why did you install it in the first place? Doesn't make sense

Friedl

Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:38 pm

You don't have to install it by your own, it is installed as soon as you press ctrl-alt-space in Raspberry OS Desktop. Try it out yourself. I was very surprised when this happened to me last week, it even reboots the system! After that I purged the orca package again.
But today I accidentally pressed ctrl-alt-space again and it reinstalled the package and rebooted the system... Very annoying.

At least the system should ask for confirmation before automatically installing things or even rebooting it..

Does anyone know how to disable this shortcut completely?

klricks

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:56 am

Friedl wrote:
You don't have to install it by your own, it is installed as soon as you press ctrl-alt-space in Raspberry OS Desktop. Try it out yourself. I was very surprised when this happened to me last week, it even reboots the system! After that I purged the orca package again.
But today I accidentally pressed ctrl-alt-space again and it reinstalled the package and rebooted the system... Very annoying.

At least the system should ask for confirmation before automatically installing things or even rebooting it..

According to the blog it was done that way on purpose to make installation easy for the visually impaired.
Link in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=307102
However config of orca is very complicated as none of the orca keyboard shortcuts are enabled by default. Took me a long time to figure out how to make it work.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

touhidur

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:04 pm

Press Ctrl + Alt + T and a terminal will appear there. Now type the following command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove orca -y
If you are not sure how to do it then you can also try out the next method

1. Press the menu icon in the top left corner of the screen.
2. Goto Preferences > Recommended Software
3. Goto Universal Access
4. Uncheck Orca
5. Press Apply

Now its done and the narrator will disappear. It was actually an Screen Reader with ability to read text on the screen

ZedeN

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 am

Friedl wrote:
ZedeN wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:24 am
For anyone who wants to disable this keyboard shortcut, remove the following from /etc/xdg/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml:

Code: Select all

<keybind key="C-A-space">
      <action name="Execute">
         <command>env SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/lib/gui-pkinst/pwdgpi.sh sudo -AE gui-pkinst orca reboot</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Return to “Troubleshooting”