chuckf201

RaberryPi Buster LXLTerminal, Web Brower and "sudo raspi-config" doesn't load

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:05 pm

In using VNC from windows 10 laptop. This AM I noticed that XLTerminal would attempt to load but doesn't. Graphics work great, I can open folders and run python debuggers but I have no command line interface. Using the "run" command gives me very little option. I ran an "apt install XTerm" and it worked. Launching XTerm also fails.
How do I troubleshoot this and fix the issue?

Botspot

Re: RaberryPi Buster LXLTerminal, Web Brower and "sudo raspi-config" doesn't load

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Try re-flashing your SD card. Probably an installation error, and if you can't get the terminal to open there's not much to try.
If you can access your Pi directly (not through VNC), exit to the console using Ctrl+Alt+F1 and see if you can get your system back in working order. Assuming you are up for the challenge.
My doctor told me my brain is as useful as a Raspberry Pi. Is that a compliment?

chuckf201

Re: RaberryPi Buster LXLTerminal, Web Brower and "sudo raspi-config" doesn't load

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm

I swapped my trusty backup SSD card and mounted the original as backup. I'm running on my backup right now so I can troubleshoot the external SSD for answers to my problem. So, where should I be looking to find 'cause' and 'effect'?

Botspot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 pm

chuckf201 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm
I swapped my trusty backup SSD card and mounted the original as backup. I'm running on my backup right now so I can troubleshoot the external SSD for answers to my problem. So, where should I be looking to find 'cause' and 'effect'?
Perfect.
You will need a way to run the external SSD to find the problem. You can use systemd-nspawn, or even better, my vdesktop script which automates the whole process.

Download it using

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/Botspot/vdesktop
chmod +x /home/pi/vdesktop/rc.local /home/pi/vdesktop/vdesktop
Find out where your external SSD's root filesystem is mounted. Usually /media/pi/rootfs but it's smart to make sure.

Now we can 'boot' the Raspbian in the external SSD with this command:

sudo /home/pi/vdesktop/vdesktop /media/pi/rootfs
Vdesktop will guide you through the process, and after installing prerequisites, will start the OS.

When the login prompt appears, login using the username and password you used on this SSD.
Screenshot from 2020-01-14 14-20-35.png
Screenshot from 2020-01-14 14-20-35.png (99.43 KiB) Viewed 34 times
A graphical window will pop up, showing the desktop. Minimize that for now to get back to the terminal.
Now you can start your diagnostics from a working console in your compromised system.
Beware - you could totally ruin the system that's on your external SSD so make a backup of your personal files.

These commands may or may not benefit anything. If you get any errors, post them.
This one reconfigures packages in case something got corrupted.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
This one will reinstall lxterminal.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall lxterminal
Also, synaptic package manager may show you a conflicting dependency or other problem.

sudo apt install synaptic
This one is a last resort, make sure you have copies of everything you want to. It reinstalls every single package on the system.
Paste each line in one at a time, both at once won't work.

sudo -i
for pkg in `dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1}' | egrep -v '(dpkg|apt|mysql|mythtv)'` ; do apt-get -y --force-yes install --reinstall $pkg ; done
My doctor told me my brain is as useful as a Raspberry Pi. Is that a compliment?

Return to “Troubleshooting”