littlemonkey

"New" booting problem

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello there.

Recently, we've bought a set of 6 Raspberry Pi's, model 3B+. It were 6 complete packages: including an SD card with Raspbian, power supply and a case. 5 of them are doing fine and working like a charm. 1 of them however, is acting particularly strange; it is not booting. Originally we didn’t mind, because we ordered 1 extra, just to be sure. However, now we would really like to get that 1 running as well.

When I try to boot with only the power supply and a monitor via HDMI, I get the infamous green ACT LED blinking 4 times. I read the sticky boot-problems topic (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151), but unfortunately without a positive result. I have tried the following:
  • Booting with a power supply of another Pi 3B+ that is working: not booting
  • Booting another Pi 3B+ with the power supply: booting! So it’s not the power supply.
  • Reformatting SD card using the Etcher program: not booting
  • Booting another Pi 3B+ with the reformatted SD card: booting! So it’s not the SD Card
  • also checked the HDMI connection, it worked properly on other Pi’s. So it’s not the HDMI cable or monitor.
  • Booting from USB, still the same error pattern from the green LED
I’m confused because the 4 times blinking usually means that there’s a problem with the start.elf, but this was not the case here as the SD card was working on another Pi 3B+. I also tried unconventional methods like trying to lift the black switch near the SD card slot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S74EQ4Oz6E&t=81s), but without a positive result.

The one thing I could image being the problem is that I accidently dropped the Pi once, but managed to break the fall with my shoe. I think it’s unlikely, but hey, maybe my clumsiness is the problem.

Do you bright minds have any clue? Is the hardware simply broken? Or did I overlooked something obvious?
Last edited by littlemonkey on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: "New" booting problem

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 pm

What are you describing as a switch? There are no switches on the Pi 3B+ board.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

RaTTuS

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 pm

littlemonkey wrote:
Hello there.....
The one thing I could image being the problem is that I accidently dropped the Pi once, but managed to break the fall with my shoe. I think it’s unlikely, but hey, maybe my clumsiness is the problem.

Do you bright minds have any clue? Is the hardware simply broken? Or did I overlooked something obvious?
the sdcard holder may have borked in the drop
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

littlemonkey

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:46 am

jdb wrote:
Check the YouTube link, it's not really a switch, merely a black thing I do not know the function of.

littlemonkey

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:47 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 pm
littlemonkey wrote:
Hello there.....

the sdcard holder may have borked in the drop
Is that something I can fix? Or should I leave it for dead and buy a new one.

Michiel O.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:01 am

Can you boot it from USB?
"You can't actually make computers run faster, you can only make them do less." - RiderOfGiraffes

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:12 am

The 3B+ model has USB booting enabled by default. Use Etcher to write a Raspbian image to a USB flash drive and see if the troubled Pi will boot from that. Note that USB booting is quite a bit slower, and nothing will seem to happen after you connect the power, but if you wait a moment you should see the GPU test (color square) and shortly after that the 3B+ should start to boot from USB. If that works, then your SD card holder may have been damaged in the fall.

jdb wrote:
Video is nonsense. Dude in the video seems to think the cable latch for the display connector is some kind of reset switch. Image
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

littlemonkey

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am

I tried booting from USB, but the pi in question still does not boot. I tried it with another (working) pi, and got the splash screen, but it didn't fully boot properly. Got the same green LED pattern as before, only taking a few seconds longer to display the pattern. Maybe the flashing wasn't completed correctly. Image of the working Pi: http://nl.tinypic.com/r/339udm9/9

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:47 am

littlemonkey wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am
Maybe the flashing wasn't completed correctly.
Possibly, or it could be a compatibility issue (the Pi3 boot-loader is not compatible with all USB mass storage devices). You could try flashing the USB drive again, and double-check that the Etcher verify step passed without error. Or you could try a different USB drive.

However, if your "working" Pi at least started to boot and the suspect Pi did not, it seems likely that it has a problem.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”