Gamegenorator

Noobs and Resbian saying low power but power supply is fine

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Both NOOBS and Resbian on my Pi complain about low power, I am using the CanaKit power supply that came in the box, when my Pi goes above about 60% load the screen freezes up and the Pi often reboots. The Canakit power cable is plugged directly into the wall, but I've also tried many other outlets as well as many other different power banks and cable rated way above and at what the pi can use. What's stranger to me is that this changes from day to day, sometimes the pi will only slow down majorly after going above 80% load, today it reboots after going above 5% load and can barely supply the monitor, but I get the same result out of the power banks as I do from the outlet day to day. Does someone have any idea why this might be happening? I'm new to the raspberry pi but not to computers, for it to change from day to day but be consistent across all inputs makes no sense. I'm using a raspberry pi 3 model b.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Noobs and Resbian saying low power but power supply is fine

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Gamegenorator wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 pm
Both NOOBS and Resbian on my Pi complain about low power, I am using the CanaKit power supply that came in the box, when my Pi goes above about 60% load the screen freezes up and the Pi often reboots. The Canakit power cable is plugged directly into the wall, but I've also tried many other outlets as well as many other different power banks and cable rated way above and at what the pi can use. What's stranger to me is that this changes from day to day, sometimes the pi will only slow down majorly after going above 80% load, today it reboots after going above 5% load and can barely supply the monitor, but I get the same result out of the power banks as I do from the outlet day to day. Does someone have any idea why this might be happening? I'm new to the raspberry pi but not to computers, for it to change from day to day but be consistent across all inputs makes no sense. I'm using a raspberry pi 3 model b.

The recommended Power Supply is 5.1V 2.5A

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... er-supply/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:02 pm

With those symptoms your power supply is definitely not fine.

There could be any number of reasons for your trouble, but we'll need more info than "I'm using a raspberry pi 3 model b."

Give us a detailed description of your system setup. Pics might help as well.

I've used the Canakit PSU and it was okay, but not as good as the official PSU.

1. Are you using a power switch of any kind, like a switched USB cable or a case with a switch?
  2. Do you have anything connected to the USB ports or the GPIO expansion header (list everything attached to your Pi3B)?
  3. What do you mean by "can barely supply the monitor" (what kind of monitor and how is it connected)?

Power banks are phone chargers and may not be suitable as a power supply. Phones only need a little over 4.2V to charge. Because of that many phone chargers have poor voltage regulation and won't maintain a stable 5V under load.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Gamegenorator

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:45 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:02 pm
With those symptoms your power supply is definitely not fine.

There could be any number of reasons for your trouble, but we'll need more info than "I'm using a raspberry pi 3 model b."

Give us a detailed description of your system setup. Pics might help as well.

I've used the Canakit PSU and it was okay, but not as good as the official PSU.

1. Are you using a power switch of any kind, like a switched USB cable or a case with a switch?
  2. Do you have anything connected to the USB ports or the GPIO expansion header (list everything attached to your Pi3B)?
  3. What do you mean by "can barely supply the monitor" (what kind of monitor and how is it connected)?

Power banks are phone chargers and may not be suitable as a power supply. Phones only need a little over 4.2V to charge. Because of that many phone chargers have poor voltage regulation and won't maintain a stable 5V under load.
1. It is plugged directly from he wall, to the cana kit powersupply, to the pi.
2. Nothing on the GPIO side of things, I have one wireless adapter for my both my mouse and keyboard to connect through however unplugging this before boot does not help.
3. The monitor has it's own power supply, I meant the power just to transfer the data from from the Pi to the monitor. (Also: Upon further testing, I discovered when the screen goes dead the mouse and keyboard do to meaning the Pi kills all outputs when on such low power.
4. True, most of the power banks I'm using though are built to handle Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, but by default send 5V and 2.5A like the Pi wants.

bertlea

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:57 am

I had some "low voltage" issues before, but later found out it was not caused by the charger, but the USB cable in between. After I changed to a cable advertised as 20AWG, the issue is gone.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 am

Well, in that case you have a problem. Either your power supply or your Pi is bad.

Qualcomm Quick Charge has nothing to do with 5V regulation. The charger still could have too much voltage fluctuation under load, or as the poster above said, it could be the micro USB cable in between the charger and Pi (standard micro USB 2.0 cables aren't designed to deliver much more than 500mA without voltage loss).

However, that does not explain the problem you are having with the Canakit PSU (which has a built-in power cable).

Does the SoC or any other chip on the 3B get excessively hot when it's sitting idle?

Gamegenorator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:16 am

bertlea wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:57 am
I had some "low voltage" issues before, but later found out it was not caused by the charger, but the USB cable in between. After I changed to a cable advertised as 20AWG, the issue is gone.
Ok, but I have no cable in between.

Gamegenorator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:20 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 am
Well, in that case you have a problem. Either your power supply or your Pi is bad.

Qualcomm Quick Charge has nothing to do with 5V regulation. The charger still could have too much voltage fluctuation under load, or as the poster above said, it could be the micro USB cable in between the charger and Pi (standard micro USB 2.0 cables aren't designed to deliver much more than 500mA without voltage loss).

However, that does not explain the problem you are having with the Canakit PSU (which has a built-in power cable).

Does the SoC or any other chip on the 3B get excessively hot when it's sitting idle?
No, not at at all. Upon further testing, I managed to find my Anker Powercore lite works and without any voltage issues whatsoever but I'm not sure if it's healthy for the Pi or not. I managed to boot into my OS just fine though which does mean it's probably an issue with the Canakit Powersupply. (Sorry for the late response) Anker power bank that works -> https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... way&sr=8-3

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 am

Yea, if it works with a different PSU, then you do have a problem with the Canakit PSU. Might as well get the official PSU to replace it.

Gamegenorator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:38 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 am
Yea, if it works with a different PSU, then you do have a problem with the Canakit PSU. Might as well get the official PSU to replace it.
Kinda sad that a Powersupply would die after under 2 months of use, but thanks for your help anyway.
Last edited by Gamegenorator on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 am

It's not dead, it just doesn't cope with the current the Pi requires.
It'll probably make an excellent phone charger.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

Gamegenorator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
From what I can tell it's dead, I don't have anything to measure voltages, but my phone won't even charge off it. Plus if it's not putting out the power it's supposed to, I don't want to risk it frying anything in case it goes really haywire.

rpdom

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 am

Gamegenorator wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:
From what I can tell it's dead, I don't have anything to measure voltages, but my phone won't even charge off it. Plus if it's not putting out the power it's supposed to, I don't want to risk it frying anything in case it goes really haywire.
That sounds like a wise move. A shame it has died. Can you return it for a refund or replacement under warrantee?

Gamegenorator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:08 am

rpdom wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 am
Gamegenorator wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:
That sounds like a wise move. A shame it has died. Can you return it for a refund or replacement under warrantee?
Unfortunately not, it appears Canakit does not offer a warranty and I did not get it's "protection" plan. I can buy an official Raspberry pi Powersupply though. I probably will be buying my Raspberry Pi 4 from a different seller next time though. Thank you all for your help.

Return to “Troubleshooting”