JeffZ123

First working, then Dead 3B+

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Sorry that my first post is a negative one. I'll tell my story here as a last resort before I return the unit.

I’ve checked all the points in the Boot Problems Sticky. This is my first Pi, but I have experience with windows, mac, linux and Arduino so that you know this isn’t my first rodeo.

The Good News:

I got this 3B+ from Fry’s Electronics using Google Express for $35. I had no previous experience with Raspberry to this point, however I put a no-name 8GB mini-sd formatted using the suggested sdcard.org “SD Memory Card Formatter,” copied NOOBS to the root, downloaded and installed raspbian without any problems. Raspbian updated twice, and all seemed fine, everything was working perfectly!

The Bad News:

Then suddenly the screen went black, and I couldn’t get any response from the keyboard or mouse. I tried rebooting the pi, but it showed no sign of life.

I was relieved when I read on the forums that SD cards can go bad instantly. I was sure this must be my problem! After all I had used a crappy SD card, and had performed a ton of I/O on it that afternoon. I tried another SD card but still nothing.

So (I knew I would have to eventually) I ordered a genuine Samsung 64GB MicroSDXC EVO Plus Memory Card from amazon. When it arrived I was sure all would be well, however I still couldn’t get even a single flash from the activity LED no matter which technique I attempted to format & boot (sdcard.org + NOOBS / ETCHER + IMG.) Incidentally the Power LED has been steady and solid, I’m using a good quality 2.4A Power supply.

Let me know if you can think of anything else to try. It’s frustrating that the activity LED won’t give me any indication of what’s going on, and there is no onboard bios I can interrogate. The bright side is I’ve learned tons about how the Pi boots up, and that if it can’t, you’re SOL :P

Thanks!

hippy

Re: First working, then Dead 3B+

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Another 3B+ which appears to have mysteriously died though there's no sign those are related beyond being mysterious and unexplained, and the number would still appear to be minimal compared to the number sold.

There is a Boot Sticky which is well worth reading but I would guess you have done that already.

If it has failed then there may be nothing you can do to fix it. If you have the skills and tools it would be worth checking if the 3V3 voltage is present on the GPIO connector. If it's not then it has failed.

You may not be completely SOL. It would be worth contacting your retailer to see what "return, test, repair or replace" service or warranty they offer.

drgeoff

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:30 pm

JeffZ123 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm
So (I knew I would have to eventually) I ordered a genuine Samsung 64GB MicroSDXC EVO Plus Memory Card from amazon. When it arrived I was sure all would be well, however I still couldn’t get even a single flash from the activity LED no matter which technique I attempted to format & boot (sdcard.org + NOOBS / ETCHER + IMG.) Incidentally the Power LED has been steady and solid, I’m using a good quality 2.4A Power supply.
1. Any possibility that while it was powered up the bottom of the board or the pins of the GPIO header touched anything metallic?

2. Cards of size 64 Gbyte and larger usually come formatted as exFAT. Standard formatting programs will format them as exFAT. Though a PC will copy NOOBS files to an exFAT card, RPis will not boot from that. Solution at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md

However, that does not apply to writing an image file with Etcher.
[/quote]

CJ1

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:47 am

I had a Pi3B+ die on me also. It was running fine as a Hotspot for 2 months. Then I attached a Iuniker Dual fan and heat sinks to it. Made sure no metal was touching. I was working for 2 weeks and then just died. Same as you, just the red led power light was on. Tried everything. Powers supply, new OS image, No Power to the 3.3v Gpio pins but the fan on the 5 volts was still running.

If we hear more of the 3B+'s dying I think it's safe to assume it could be a manufacturer issue. I know the Pi organization pride themselves on quality but these things happen!

JeffZ123

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. One aspect I love about raspberrypi is the high level of pride that the foundation and community take with each and every board!

I'll check your suggestions that 3V3 voltage is present on the GPIO connector, and verify the format on the 64GB SD isn't exFAT and report back.

Also @drgeoff about the bottom of the board or the pins of the GPIO header touching anything metallic, i'm pretty sure they didn't. Is there any way to check for something like that? I did a once-over on the board with a magnifying glass but couldn't find anything that looked unusual.

Thanks

hippy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:20 am

JeffZ123 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 pm
Also @drgeoff about the bottom of the board or the pins of the GPIO header touching anything metallic, i'm pretty sure they didn't. Is there any way to check for something like that?
Not easily and that can cause problems when it's not clear whether a product failure was caused by the customer or was a manufacturing defect. A retailer may say it's the customer's fault, the customer may say no it wasn't.

That's why consumer rights legislation will usually define obligations of each party. In the UK, within the first six months, it's up to the retailer to prove it wasn't a manufacturing fault, after that it's up to the customer to prove it was. Otherwise a retailer could just claim 'it must have been something you did' and duck all claims.

In the UK, within the first six months, you shouldn't have to prove you did not short the bottom of the board; it would be up to the retailer to prove you did.

CJ1

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am

I'm in the US. Customers are usually always right. Luckily MicroCenter has a great return policy.
Told them what happened and they gave me a new board.
MicroCenter in St Davids, Pennsylvania

JeffZ123

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:56 am

CJ1 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am
I'm in the US. Customers are usually always right. Luckily MicroCenter has a great return policy.
Told them what happened and they gave me a new board.
MicroCenter in St Davids, Pennsylvania
Ah what a coincidence, i'm about 40 mins from MicroCenter in St Davids (well at least when the schuylkill isn't backed up, which is about 10% of the time :D ) I love that place. I ordered this one from Fry's to save money bc MicroCenter tends to have big markups what with all the overhead of their store. Have you been there recently? Their selection of electronics components is a bit random.

JeffZ123

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Just to close out this post, I got a new Pi 3B+ and the SD cards I have work fine in this one. No problems to report with the 2nd board. I sent the defective one back and got a full refund. Before I sent it back, I did confirm that the 3V3 was dead.

alvian

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:58 am

Yet another short-lived RPi 3B+ with dead 3V3.

Is this a problem with the voltage supply chip as suggested by Burngate? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1353974

JeffZ123

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Could very well be! I wish I still had the board to perform more testing, but I sent it back for a refund :roll:

hippy

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:07 pm

JeffZ123 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 pm
I wish I still had the board to perform more testing, but I sent it back for a refund :roll:
There's not really much more you could do having confirmed the 3V3 was dead earlier. Not without losing your opportunity for having it replaced or being refunded

Return to “Troubleshooting”