Leokeba

Re: Pi3 hanging at rainbow screen

Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:07 am

Hi everybody

I'm also struggling at running old sd cards from the Pi 2 into the Pi 3. However, I found a hack that's effective, but a bit "sketchy" : I installed the last raspbian jessie lite image onto a small spare sd card I had, ran it one time on the Pi 3 to try it (it works), then I replaced all the files in the boot partition with the ones from the old sd card (the one I wanted to use on the Pi 3 originally), and changed the contents of cmdline.txt so that it runs from usb. Then I just put that new sd card in the Pi reader, and the old one in a usb reader plugged in the Pi. The old distro from the Pi 2 ran flawlessly, but only this way and never from the Pi reader, so I'm thinking it's not a problem of firmware/kernel/whatever update, but maybe something really dummy about the partition table or the filesystem of that boot partition. Sadly, my competences are pretty limited and I'm stuck trying to find what exactly could be the problem, does anyone have an idea ? Do you think what I said makes sense ?

Thanks everybody, I hope my method will help some of you, and also I hope that someone will be able to help us find a more straightforward and definitive one.

mech259

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 pm

How do you run the apt-get update if the Pi won't get beyond the color screen on boot? I used a class 10 32g micro with Jessie. It will not boot. Jessie works fine on a Pi 2.

davidcoton

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Run update and upgrade on the Pi2 and then shutdown, wait, poweroff before transferring the card to the Pi3.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

intersysnl

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm

I finally fix it:

If it is a NOOBS install:

In addition to updating the OS image you also have to update the kernel and firmware used by noobs.
Otherwise your system will not boot on the new hardware.

On the Pi2:

First mount de noobs boot partition

Code: Select all

cd ~
mkdir testdisk
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 testdisk
Now download the latest NOOBS lite zip file from
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/
in this this example v2_4.zip

mkdir noobsinstall
cd noobsinstall/
sudo wget http://director.downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS_lite/images/NOOBS_lite-2017-04-10/NOOBS_lite_v2_4.zip
sudo unzip NOOBS_lite_v2_4.zip
Copy files from the noobs download to the noobs boot partition:

sudo cp bootcode.bin /home/pi/testdisk/bootcode.bin
sudo cp recovery.elf /home/pi/testdisk/recovery.elf
sudo cp recovery.img /home/pi/testdisk/recovery.img
sudo cp recovery7.img /home/pi/testdisk/recovery7.img
sudo cp *.dtb /home/pi/testdisk/
Power off your PI2

sudo poweroff
Now you can put the card in your PI3

Krafter

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:41 pm

intersysnl wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm
I finally fix it:

If it is a NOOBS install:

In addition to updating the OS image you also have to update the kernel and firmware used by noobs.
Otherwise your system will not boot on the new hardware.

On the Pi2:

First mount de noobs boot partition

cd ~
mkdir testdisk
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 testdisk
Now download the latest NOOBS lite zip file from
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/
in this this example v2_4.zip

mkdir noobsinstall
cd noobsinstall/
sudo wget http://director.downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS_lite/images/NOOBS_lite-2017-04-10/NOOBS_lite_v2_4.zip
sudo unzip NOOBS_lite_v2_4.zip
Copy files from the noobs download to the noobs boot partition:

sudo cp bootcode.bin /home/pi/testdisk/bootcode.bin
sudo cp recovery.elf /home/pi/testdisk/recovery.elf
sudo cp recovery.img /home/pi/testdisk/recovery.img
sudo cp recovery7.img /home/pi/testdisk/recovery7.img
sudo cp *.dtb /home/pi/testdisk/
Power off your PI2

sudo poweroff
Now you can put the card in your PI3

Thank you very much. You've saved me a lot of headaches. This work perfect for me!

telepatico

Re: Pi3+ hanging at rainbow screen

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am

g' morning guys
i'm a newbie, plz help: having the same rainbow screen on a new Rapsi 3 B+, i have an 8 GB microSD HC I SanDisk Ultra (samsung) and in the SD card i've already tried "ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi" and ubuntu version burnt with rufus and it just keeps displaying this rainbow screen. i've pretty much tried everything so far and nothing seems to work and get me past beyond this stuck raibon screen with a charging/power bolt icon on the up right corner. plz help

fbe

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 pm

If you tried everything and nothing seemed to work, don't waste more time. ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi is too old to run out of the box with Raspberry Pi 3B+. Use a current Raspbian Stretch instead and wait until Ubuntu 18.4 images for Raspberry Pi are ready.

If you don't want to wait you can walk through this topic about "Ubuntu image for the new Raspberry Pi 3B+" viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208538 (but you should have done this already if you tried everything). There was some kind of success announced near to the end, but a Raspberry Pi 3B was used to prepare the SD card (a Raspberry Pi 2B may do it too).

telepatico

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:17 am

fbe wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 pm
If you tried everything and nothing seemed to work, don't waste more time. ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi is too old to run out of the box with Raspberry Pi 3B+. Use a current Raspbian Stretch instead and wait until Ubuntu 18.4 images for Raspberry Pi are ready.

If you don't want to wait you can walk through this topic about "Ubuntu image for the new Raspberry Pi 3B+" viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208538 (but you should have done this already if you tried everything). There was some kind of success announced near to the end, but a Raspberry Pi 3B was used to prepare the SD card (a Raspberry Pi 2B may do it too).
from everything i've been trying so far, Noobs (network edition) managed to boot but then it complained about the low voltage so i'll have to get a new charger with at least 6 V because the one i've got with 5V 2.1A (haven't been able to find one with 2.5A or more) is not "pumping" enough power or the power is being lost somewhere along the way (have tried different cables already).
i ll post the result after testing it with at least 2.5 A (according to raspi user manual requirements)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am

telepatico wrote:
i'll have to get a new charger with at least 6 V
NO! :o :o :(

Do NOT attempt a PSU with a higher voltage than 5.25V, with 6V you will trigger the PI's overvoltage protector, which will short the PI, and blow its fuse.

If a 5V 2.1A supply gives you undervoltage warnings in 99% of the time its just the cable that has too thin wires.
In this case all the cables you tested were "bad" like that.

One small possibility is that you somehow managed to overheat the PI's polyfuse, and it has started to develop some resistance, so you should give it a 24H rest (don't power the PI up for 24 hours).

telepatico

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am

mahjongg wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am
telepatico wrote:
i'll have to get a new charger with at least 6 V
NO! :o :o :(

Do NOT attempt a PSU with a higher voltage than 5.25V, with 6V you will trigger the PI's overvoltage protector, which will short the PI, and blow its fuse.

If a 5V 2.1A supply gives you undervoltage warnings in 99% of the time its just the cable that has too thin wires.
In this case all the cables you tested were "bad" like that.

One small possibility is that you somehow managed to overheat the PI's polyfuse, and it has started to develop some resistance, so you should give it a 24H rest (don't power the PI up for 24 hours).
wow ok, thanks mate.
tried a new charger (5V) and new cable and it's not downloading the OS (from Noobie network)... thanks alot for the tip. i guess the problem lies in my charger and cable as you pointed...
thanks again from this newbie :)

vilaivat

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:28 am

D3nny_ wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:39 pm
Hey Guys,

had the same problem.. found a solution for me.

I took the start.elf from this Page https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf and replaced it with the current start.elf file on the SD Card. Everything's working now.
It's working for me.

1. download resbian from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
2. then download Win32Diskmanager from https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
3. install and open Win32Diskmanager, then open file 2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.img something like that need to check your SD card is F:
4. then click Write, then wait for finish
5. copy start.eff to SD card, don't forget to down from this link https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf :D Thank you Mr D3nny_
6. then connection power tha~~~~~da~~~~

Return to “Troubleshooting”