tcat

No HDMI output after power outage

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 am

Hi,

SOS - SOS - May Day

I experience lost of HDMI output after power outage, no rainbow nor logo on boot. RPI seems booting, though as when set to 'save' mode in 'config.txt', I got login screen flashing on and off, 1 sec on, 3 secs off. Image is large though, as if VGA mode.

My model is PI 1 B(-).

Can you please help?
Many thanks in advance

Tomas

DougieLawson

Re: No HDMI output after power outage

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:34 am

Get a fresh new SDCard, stick NOOBS 2.8.1 or Raspbian 2018-04-18 on it and try to boot that.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

tcat

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

I can try, than you.

Just curious what went wrong, I have mounted my original 'raspbian-lite' image as loop device on /mnt and SD card on /mnt2 and run diff/cmp on all files in boot partition, only config differs. I reverted to original config, keeping on copy the old one.

Also SD card boot partition has FCK0000.REC, which may be alright as I cannot unmount partition in regular way any longer and file system check is forced.

I have also noticed, that power rgulator and chip is quite warm even at 700MHz as per default config compared to the turbo state I run for few years before crash.

Do I have H/W damage?

Many thanks so far.
Tomas

DougieLawson

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 am

Once you have the new SDCard booted, get the old SDCard in a USB reader. You can then look at what's gone wrong and attempt to recover it.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

B.Goode

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am

Just curious what went wrong...

[ Other content redacted ]

Do I have H/W damage?

No-one knows.

It could be corruption of the content of the SD card containing the Operating System, or it could be failed/damaged hardware.

That was probably the point of the diagnostic step already suggested. If your board boots from a fresh SD card with a clean install of the Operating System then the hardware is ok and you can focus on extracting important data from the suspect card.

If the board will not boot from a known good Install of the most recent Operating System then you probably have a failed board or associated Power Supply.

tcat

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi,

I have backed all my work from SD card, and put the latest rapsbian image on it, lite version. System boots, I can see it pulls IP address from the packet hub, but HDMI output blank no rainbow on power on.

Shall I try save mode, with the last image it was blinking the screen on and off?

Many thanks
Tomas

tcat

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi,
In the safe mode HDMI output is blinking on for a sec and then off, same behavior as with the earlier image before, that was suggested as possibly having corrupted file system. Also when screen image appears it has sort of pin stripe pattern.
Many thanks
Tomas

tcat

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

Hi,

I have disabled HDMI and enabled Composite Video (PAL), it gives me normal picture on older tellies here, cannot currently use my beloved old PI1 B(-) with my LED monitor through HDMI.

Code: Select all

#hdmi_safe=1
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1
sdtv_mode=2
It is just HDMI output that has gone after power outage, possible?
Irreversible damage, or just silly me not seeing a solution?

Many thanks so far.
Tomas

tcat

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:46 am

Although I can use my old PI1 over Composite Video, the CPU is unusually hot, some 85 dgC, at standard 700MHz, before outage I have run at turbo mode for a few years.

Is this just aging symptom due to overclock?

Many thanks.
Tomas

Return to “Troubleshooting”