photopuppet

Root needed for Raspbian software manager

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 am

Hi everyone and thanks for any help in advance...

I'm having a little issue with the software manager in the Raspbian (squeeze) desktop, every time I try to install anything the package manager wants to use root identity for authentication and I can't find any way to get around it.

I have the root password disabled and use sudo normally. Is there any way to get the manager to use sudo for elevated privileges instead as I can't install things through this unless I make a root pass?

Apt-get works fine through sudo but I just wanted to get the GUI manager working properly. I've tried searching this issue but no luck. :)

Thank you!

B.Goode

Re: Root needed for Raspbian software manager

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 am

I'll ask, because someone is bound to -

Why do you need to persist with running a long-superceded version of the Raspbian Operating System?

I'm pretty sure software installation works relatively smoothly with current and recent releases of Raspbian and the associated Desktop. Although personally I am comfortable with the shell and the apt family of tools for software package maintenance.

klricks

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Why not enable root password?

You did not mention which package manager you are using....

Have you tried using sudo to start the PM from command line

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

photopuppet

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Apologies, I mean Raspbian Stretch! Whatever the latest edition is on this site? :)

I'm talking about the default package manager... The one that appears when you go to Add/Remove Programs in the desktop.

When you select something to install, it comes up with an authorization box that has Root in the selection but I can't go any further as there isn't a root password and there aren't any other choices apart from root in the box?

I've been told before that it wasn't a good idea to have a root password set if you have no reason to use it and use sudo for root operations normally. I thought Raspbian normally installs with no root pass set. It is fine to just have a root pass set all the time normally?

Thanks for the help :)

mattmiller

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 pm

When you select something to install, it comes up with an authorisation box that has Root in the selection
I've never used the GUI version before but when I tried it out just now, I was asked for the pi user password not the root user

I just installed gparted using this method and it works fine

This is on a 2018-04-18 Raspbian stretch setup

photopuppet

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks Matt... I did change the username from pi to something else... Wonder if I messed something up by doing that. :(

klricks

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 pm

photopuppet wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 pm
Thanks Matt... I did change the username from pi to something else... Wonder if I messed something up by doing that. :(
Make sure the new user is a member of all the same groups as pi:

[email protected]:~ $ groups pi
pi : pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev spi i2c gpio
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

photopuppet

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks for the help. You're right, with further research it does seem like the groups (or secondary groups??) get messed up somehow if you change the name. I couldn't figure it out even though 'groups photopuppet' seemed to show the same groups as you put, klricks.

I changed the username back to pi again with the same method as I used originally to change it and now the GUI package manager works as it should do and how matt described it.

I guess its best just to keep the default pi username and keep it secure using a key pair. :)

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

klricks

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:43 am

photopuppet wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:01 pm
I'm talking about the default package manager... The one that appears when you go to Add/Remove Programs in the desktop.
I prefer to use Synaptic PM as the default PM is lacking much function.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install synaptic

photopuppet

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:04 am

I've installed Synaptic now and it has quite a few more features. Thank you for the tip. :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”