mohamed yasser

please help its my graduation project

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:37 am

i used to use raspberry pi 3 to control 6 servo motors using external power supply only the control line connected to motors i used its for some days and everything was good . suddenly everything stopped when i touched the raspberry i found it too hot i turn it off until it become cool and turn it on it didnt work and become so hot again and science that every time i trun on my raspberry it become so hot after just second and the gpio pins dont work even i connect only led i tried to reinstall the system on my card and still the same problem i measured the volt between pin i found all of them 0.5 except for the power pins (5 and 3.3 v ) it give only 2 volt

davidcoton

Re: please help its my graduation project

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:38 pm

I think your Pi is beyond help.
Once they get that hot, they are not going to recover.
The damage was probably caused by a mis-connection to one of the GPIOs, either connecting it to 5V or more, or shorting an output while it was high.
You will need a new Pi to complete your project. I'm sorry, but almost certainly no other help is possible.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

B.Goode

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:01 pm

+1 to what @davidcoton said.

But in addition:

You should carefully review the connections that were made to the RPi that failed. Because if you connect the same wiring arrangement to a new RPi it seems very likely that you will kill the new one...

mohamed yasser

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:11 pm

thanks for replays it come hot once i start it without any wiring even without the card . i am just connect it to the power it become so hot in just second . i can boot it but i cant use the gpio . so that mean i have to buy new one or there is something i can do in it to fix that

joan

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm

You can not repair the GPIO. You need a new Pi.

mohamed yasser

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pm

any advice to dont damage gpio pin ?
i connected to it the ground and the signal control only and the power from external power supply

B.Goode

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 pm

i connected to it the ground and the signal control only and the power from external power supply

"and the power from external power supply" ?

Is that the power to the RPi system, via the microUSB connector? Or something related to your servo control subsystem?

A wiring diagram or clear focussed picture of your wiring might help.

Connecting any external voltage greater than 3.3volts to an RPi GPIO pin is likely to cause permanent damage with the symptoms you describe.

mohamed yasser

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

i connected the wires to take photo for you but i found it work so good .
i completed my work in it next day it stopped again
the gpio give volt but not in right way and i cant control it for example pin 15 give 3.3 volt without giving it the order i tried to setup pin 15 as output and make it false but it still give the volt what ever my order to any pin nothing change
so i cant control my gpio pin and i will post photos for the connection i used it

B.Goode

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

You seem to have connections to pins 9 and 11 on the RPi header. You are not using either Pin 15, nor gpio15.

If the red and green assemblies to the left are the external power supply for the Servo they might be reversed if usual colour codes are being used.

There are no markings on your breadboard. Are you certain that each group of five holes in the edge connections (for the power rails) is connected to its neighbours?

mohamed yasser

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:41 pm

no that connection for the servo and i used to work by this connection and everything was good suddenly its stopped so i removed everything and test it and i give pin 15 as example it give 3volt even i remove my card so it doesnt respond to my order it work all the time at 3 volt while it should be 0 volt
pin 11 all the time 0 even i order it to be true

B.Goode

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm

I will not be able to provide any further assistance with your project.

Return to “Troubleshooting”