Clic Draw

RPi3 - Motion software

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Total newbie here (to Raspberry Pi, not life)...

Article in LXF195 to using Motion and a RPi with camera etc. to deploy as a security device.

This was easily enough to pique my interest but it eventually became necessary to visit the site at Raspberry Pi to pick out the essentials for getting the various programmes (Raspbian, Motion, Apache2, PHP) loaded into a micro SD card.

There is here, one (1) each of:
Raspberry Pi3, 16GB Micro SD card, a Logitech 170 camera, RPi power-supply, 2m HDMI cable, USB keyboard and a USB mouse

RPi's website recommended a visit to the SD Association’s website to download "SD Formatter 4.0". Downloaded the formatter (already updated to 5.0).

While there, it was clearly stated that one must "run as Administrator" but no matter whether on a Windows or Linux machine (I run Mint 18.2 on mine), the Archiver can not open/run it.

LXF offers a separate instruction describing the formatting of a thumb-drive and at the bottom, it clearly says: "Note: You are supposed to have a partition created on the disk, before you format it."

This does make sense now - when I originally connected the Pi to a monitor, there was a message indicating partition issues on the SD card.

Can anyone offer a better way forward?

wh7qq

Re: RPi3 - Motion software

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:16 am

The first thing to do is to download the latest Raspbian distro to your linux-mint box.

Code: Select all

wget https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest
is very dependable and fast. be sure to run the command from the Download directory.

cd /home/username/Downloads
Make sure the sha256sum of the download matches the one listed for the download on the Raspberrypi.org website.

Next, again on your linux box, do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install etcher-electron
This will install Etcher, an excellent utility for burning images to uSD cards. Still on your linux box, start etcher and select the image you downloaded in the first step. Burn it to the uSD card (using a uSD card to USB adapter).

Next, remove the uSD card and insert in the Raspberry Pi's uSD card slot. When you have connected the monitor and keyboard/mouse to the RPi, then connect the 5v power brick and allow the RPi to boot to the Desktop. If you use Etcher, it will have taken care of the unzipping and formatting details for you so you can forget the SD Association's formatter. Once you have the Raspbian desktop loaded up, you can select a console window and enter

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
. Then using

sudo apt-get install motion  apache2 php 
That will get your RPi set up to run the software you want.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

Return to “Troubleshooting”