adno
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:39 am

I just got a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. I have installed Raspbian via NOOBS (in NOOBS I already noticed that WiFi is greyed out), updated/upgraded both firmware and OS to the latest version, but the onboard wireless adapter does not seem to be recognized/functioning. Does it mean that the hardware is damaged/has a cold solder, or could it possibly be an issue with a particular SD card? (Just guessing as I read that onboard wireless adapter is on SDIO, unfortunatelly I do not have a different SD card to try.)

This is my SD card:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mem ... mp32ga-am/

This is the output od dmesg and ifconfig -a (lists only "eth0" and "lo"):

https://pastebin.com/MMZLB2JD

SurferTim
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am
Location: Miramar Beach, Florida

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Are you using Jessie/Pixel? When you say "greyed out", where are you seeing that?

edit: post the output of this:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/os-release
Last edited by SurferTim on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff
Posts: 7320
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 pm

If you have been able to boot and run anything from the SD card then it is extremely* unlikely that any problem with the card is the cause of neither Wi-Fi nor Bluetooth.

Is the NOOBS a fresh install from a recent download or an old NOOBS on which you have updated Raspbian?

If you can get another card or if there is nothing on the card that you don't want to lose, I'd suggest using Etcher to flash the most recent Raspbian. If still no Wi-Fi, I'd return the RPi3 as faulty.

(* as in the probability of winning the lottery.)

adno
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 pm

SurferTim wrote:Are you using Jessie/Pixel? When you say "greyed out", where are you seeing that?

edit: post the output of this:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/os-release
Yes, Jessie/Pixel. I meant that in addition to Wi-Fi not working in the installed OS, the "WiFi networks" icon on top of the NOOBS window was greyed out.

In the OS, WiFi is not listed in 'ifconfig -a' output, and when I click the up-arrow/down-arrow icon on top of the screen in Pixel says "no wireless interfaces found".

Here is the output:

Code: Select all

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

adno
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 pm

drgeoff wrote:Is the NOOBS a fresh install from a recent download or an old NOOBS on which you have updated Raspbian?
It was a NOOBS install I downloaded and put on the SD card yesterday.

SurferTim
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am
Location: Miramar Beach, Florida

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Are you selecting the up/down arrows on the upper right of the desktop next to the speaker symbol? It should say "Turn On Wifi".

adno
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:50 pm

SurferTim wrote:Are you selecting the up/down arrows on the upper right of the desktop next to the speaker symbol? It should say "Turn On Wifi".
Yes, but instead it says "no wireless interfaces found".

umbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:12 pm

I am having this exact same issue.

Nothing in the system will confirm that the onboard wireless adapter (basically the reason I purchased a 3b to begin with, considering how hot the thing runs).

From what I've gathered from the many posts about this buried here and there on the internet, this is the most coherent post title with regard to the issue, and describes the issue perfectly. Also from what I've gathered after reading a few hundred posts on various RPi forums, this is an issue related to the most recent versions of raspbian, not with the hardware. I can confirm this, as I have one SDCard with an older install of Raspbian (it's an image from Feb 2017, so fairly recent, but left unupdated (and therefore a huge security risk) which makes it pretty useless except to confirm that it's not the hardware)).

I'll run through the steps that it takes to get to this issue:
1. Image an SDCard (using whatever you want - n00bs or a direct image via dd or win32 imager, I tried both and the result was the same) with the latest raspbian and/or raspbian-PIXEL (again, I tried both, with BOTH installations messages for each respective image and can confirm it does not make a difference) downloaded (and hash-checked, to rule out the possibility of a corrupt download) from the official https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ page.
2. Insert said card, make sure you have proper 5V 2A power coming in the microUSB port, and plug your power cable into said microUSB port and away you go.

Here's where you run apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade and finally rpi-update (with a two reboots at the proper places), etc. And that makes no difference, either.

Here's where some have had success editing their wpa_supplicant file, but it seems limited and inconsistent, and makes little sense to me since the system is failing to see wlan0 in the first place (dmesg and hwinfo both agree on this), which seems, based on the fact that it works with one version of raspbian but not another, to pretty firmly make it a software, perhaps a driver?, issue.

I'm fairly new to the RPi platform, but not to *nix in general and yet nothing I can do will make the WiFi of what was going to power a weather-sensing unit that in the end will be reporting to my own intranet and also making its data available to wunderground. This one issue is the only thing that is holding me back (I've already attached instruments to and successfully programmed the Pi to measure wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, and rain collection). So imagine my frustration when a

Code: Select all

dist-upgrade
removed my wireless function completely.

And no, I can't just use a dongle, as I've already had a hand-fabricated case designed to weatherproof the Pi and other internals produced, and don't have the budget to make a whole new one simply as a result of the failure on the Pi's part to recognize its own hardware.

tl;dr
I have tried everything suggested in this thread and other things suggested elsewhere, as well, and the inescapable conclusion seems to be that the current version of raspian/raspian-PIXEL does not support the RPi 3's built-in wireless functionality well if at all, regardless of up-to-date firmware.

adno
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:17 pm

umbra wrote:I am having this exact same issue.
Also from what I've gathered after reading a few hundred posts on various RPi forums, this is an issue related to the most recent versions of raspbian, not with the hardware. I can confirm this, as I have one SDCard with an older install of Raspbian (it's an image from Feb 2017, so fairly recent, but left unupdated (and therefore a huge security risk) which makes it pretty useless except to confirm that it's not the hardware)).
Nice to know I'm not alone;).

After reading your post, I tried downloading the Feb 2017 image from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspb ... jessie.zip, flashing it using Etcher, but it was no use, I still get "no wireless interface" (and the same goes for Bluetooth). So, at least in my case, it doesn't seem to be a matter of software version.

Are the two SD cards you have the same type? What type/manufacturer is the one you're using right now? Did you use the older OS release (where wireless was working) on the same SD card? And if you install new OS on the old card or vice versa, does it change anything?

I wonder if the SD card could be to blame? Unfortunatelly I don't have any other micro SD card to try, and do not want to purchase one just for that.

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4071
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
Contact: Website

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 pm

adno wrote: ...
I wonder if the SD card could be to blame? Unfortunatelly I don't have any other micro SD card to try, and do not want to purchase one just for that.
[Slightly O.T.] Unless you're a "fan" of cards >32Gb** that's a "false economy". Cards wear out. Backups are good. At some point you'll probably want to clone a working system to another Pi. etc etc.
Trev.
** my preference is for 16Gb cards + (if I need it, which is rare) a USB-stick for "data storage" thus not falling into the "all the eggs in one basket" trap. (or should I say "trip" :) )
Usually running Raspbian Jessie on up to 12 of 13 Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+, A+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) and Stretch on my P3B. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

umbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I've tried both an older 16 GB regular old SD Card (that was originally in my Samsung Galaxy SII....so quite old, but I tested it and it is working just fine with 0% corruption (read: no bad sectors, nothing multiple disk utilities, using both *nix and win32/64 -based utilities, could find) as well as a brand-new, tested 32 GB SDHC, with both of my images. Didn't make a difference, either, sadly.

I apologize, I should have checked my file dates: The working image was installed using the 2017-1-11-raspian-jesse.zip file is what I used for the image that I kept updated until (and I only remember because of the holiday) within a day or two of Feb 14 (after which this project was shelved to give priority to a few other things.)

Perhaps try it with the 2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie.zip? You can find it here: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspb ... 017-01-10/

O.T. Yes, its good to have backups because SD Cards are not the most reliable storage, I definitely agree with the MOD there. Unfortunately the unrecognized hardware has nothing to do with the SD Card (in my case, I can say this with absolute certainty, having tested both).

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 29735
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 pm

umbra wrote: Perhaps try it with the 2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie.zip? If you need me to I can (temporarily) host it for you.
All old versions of Raspbian are available on http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

Everyone should be using Raspbian 2017-04-10 or NOOBS 2.4 there is no valid reason to use older versions.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

umbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:04 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
umbra wrote: Perhaps try it with the 2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie.zip? If you need me to I can (temporarily) host it for you.
All old versions of Raspbian are available on http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

Everyone should be using Raspbian 2017-04-10 or NOOBS 2.4 there is no valid reason to use older versions.
Did you read the thread (or notice that I edited that out w/ the link within a few seconds)?

It seems like you didn't, because otherwise the following counterpoint would have presented itself to you: the easiest refutation of your statement is right there, a few posts above your reply.

The idea that there is "no valid reason to use older versions," is false; it is completely valid to use older versions while attempting to diagnose issues that may or may not be related to said upgrade/new versions. In fact, in this case, I've used it to demonstrate that it is very unlikely that it's my hardware, a conclusion I would have far less evidence for if not for the "invalid" use of a previous image.

We're not talking about general, computer-working, best practices here. We're trying our best to troubleshoot an issue as thoroughly as possible. Anything you have to input on that topic would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 29735
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:38 pm

All troubleshooting should start from the current version as a base and work forwards. Anything else will lead you to rediscovery of already solved bugs. That advice comes from 35 years working in systems programming. Poo-pooh it all you like.

If you're working on a kernel or bootcode issue there's even a strong argument to start with rpi-update to get to the very latest, leading edge.

Anything else wastes everyone's time and effort.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

umbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm

I began to type a reply to that, but you and I bickering is what's really wasting everyone's time. In the interest of this thread not deteriorating any further, I give up.

I plead honestly only that we get back on topic. To be crystal clear this topic is:

The onboard wireless board on the Pi 3B (the Pi 3 w/ the Broadcom chip), which should theoretically work with raspbian right out of the box (through direct imaging or NOOBS), seems to not even register as "there" in current revisions (as of the date of this post) of raspbian-jessie (PIXEL or not). The troubleshooting steps we have taken are in the posts above.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help establish/bolster the evidence behind just what the root of this issue, is experiencing it and posts their information, or offers any wisdom related specifically to the topic.

adno
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Alright, so in addition to the latest build and the February build I also tried "2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie.zip" to be sure. So in my case, I can reliably say it's not an issue caused by the latest build of Raspbian. I will try to get a replacement for my Raspberry Pi (and retry with the same SD card).

umbra
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: Onboard WiFi not recognized on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

adno wrote:Alright, so in addition to the latest build and the February build I also tried "2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie.zip" to be sure. So in my case, I can reliably say it's not an issue caused by the latest build of Raspbian. I will try to get a replacement for my Raspberry Pi (and retry with the same SD card).

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the new Pi!

Return to “Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests