Monedula

Failure after reboot

Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 pm

I am getting his message when my Rasperry Pi 3 with Kodi installed starts:

Code: Select all

Waiting for root filesystem device /dev/mccblk0p2
/dev/mccblk0p2 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
/dev/mccblk0p2:: xxxxx/xxxxxxx files (0.1% non-contiguous), yyyyy/yyyyyy blocks
mount: mounting /dev on /real_root/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /real_root/proc failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /real_root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /run on /real_root/runfailed: No such file or directory
FATAL ERROR: Could not find a suitable init on the root filesystem

/ #
(Of course the x-s and y-s represent numbers that are irrelevant to this question)

Then there is a prompt and ls does show me the dev, proc, sys and run folders with content. Also the real_root folder is there but that only holds lost+found.

I am wondering, is my sd card broken, does it need a new install (second SD card to break, had one go corrupt about 8 months ago on my then Pi2) or is the Pi broken?

Before I got this message my Pi3 was completely unresponsive to keyboard or web interface. I turned off the power and after turning it back on I had a huge list of messages that flashed by. A lot were: Fix? Yes (or something like that).
In the end it did not work and I took the power off again and since then this is all I am getting.

If I need to reinstall it (sigh) I have made a manual how to put all the software back, but can anyone recommend an easy way to image the sd card periodically automatically so I can just put the image back?
Any other things that are best practice? Make a partitioned SD card?

Thanks!

wh7qq

Re: Failure after reboot

Fri May 19, 2017 6:41 pm

It certainly appears that the SD card is corrupt. Turning it off or removing the SD card without doing a full shutdown procedure will cause that if the RPi is writing to a file when it is interrupted.

You can do a periodic copy of the SD card to back it up and there is a way to "image" the card which I have not explored at all so I can't comment. The main Pixel menu in the Accessories menu has an "SD Card Copier" you can use to copy a running SD card. You need a USB to uSD card adapter so that you have a card to copy to.

I have experienced the lockup of keyboard and mouse once in a while...totally random...and I have not explored whether or not the RPi is accessible via ssh or the serial port but that might be an avenue for doing a "poweroff". As you are unable to use the keyboard, the console is inaccessible. So far, I have been lucky and the RPi woke up after rebooting.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

Monedula

Re: Failure after reboot

Fri May 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I feared as much. Btw it is the data right, not the entire card that is corrupt? Samsung makes higher quality cards then your random card.
I have an adapter lying around somewhere and yes indeed in the future I should fire up putty and use a poweroff as a last resort.
One last question, say turning off the power is the only option left and my last SD card backup is a real long time ago. Would it be ok to remove the SD card or does that basically give the same result?

Not how I had intended to spend the weekend. Lets hope I saved the qnap boot connection string with about 30 options somewhere. That took me 4 hours to find the missing configuration piece.

Return to “Troubleshooting”