arj

Sound in Debian

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Are there any plans to enable sound in the next Debian release? I notice the 19-04-2012 release does not seem to support sound by default, and when loaded manually it fails to work with apps such as Scratch.

Andrew

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Sound in Debian

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

arj

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Yes that's how I got it partially working (although not in Scratch). I'm new to Linux but have a great deal of windows experience. I sat down with my young kids this afternoon to play with our new Pi. Scratch is great and in minutes my 5 year old 'got' it and had great fun...except the sound did not work. The kids love the sounds in scratch more than anything else, it's a real shame it's so tricky to get it working. Try explaining it to a 5 year old who can happy turn it on and do everything else.

To be successful stuff like sound needs to work out of the box first time. I'd also like the machine to login automatically and launch the UI. These little things are critical so non-techies have a great first exprience, otherwise they will give up and go back to their x boxes and Wii's.

I'm sure the Linux experts love the power and flexibility of the current approach but the first few minutes are absolutely critical to keep the attention of beginners. The initial login, typing startx and lack of sound support will be major hurdles as more beginners start having a go. I know I'll be getting a load of 'support' calls on this from all the friends and family come to me for IT help.

Andrew

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi Andrew, sound is enabled by default in this test release http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =50&t=8071

AndrewS

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 pm

arj wrote:To be successful stuff like sound needs to work out of the box first time. I'd also like the machine to login automatically and launch the UI. These little things are critical so non-techies have a great first exprience, otherwise they will give up and go back to their x boxes and Wii's.
At the moment, the RaspberryPi software is still in the "testing and development stage" which is why people are having so many problems. The more polished "end user version" is planned for later in the year.

linuxpi

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 am

Hi,

To enable sound I have done this:

After the Pi boots up and you have logged in BUT before you type startx you need to type the following:

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils (this will get the sound application form the debian package store online)

once this is done you then type:

sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835 (this enables the hardware o use sound on that login in session)

After that then type startx so that you can use the desktop if you want to...and the LX sound player will work either on the earphone socket or over usb or HDVI (well works for me anyway)

Each time you log in you will need to type in the

sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835

Unless you automate that, which you can do but for now and testing I am just typing it in each time

Super-Nathan

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:57 am

How would one automate this? i have been googling and i cannot find an answer. I am rather new to debian.
echo "Something Useful" > /dev/null

clickykbd

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm

How would one automate this?
You can add the module to load to the file /etc/modules. Just add an additional line containing:

Code: Select all

snd_bcm2835
It will load the sound driver during bootup. The other steps mentioned you should only have to do once.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

You don't need tO do that if you download the new wheezy Debian download.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

arj

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:31 pm

AndrewS wrote:
arj wrote:To be successful stuff like sound needs to work out of the box first time. I'd also like the machine to login automatically and launch the UI. These little things are critical so non-techies have a great first exprience, otherwise they will give up and go back to their x boxes and Wii's.
At the moment, the RaspberryPi software is still in the "testing and development stage" which is why people are having so many problems. The more polished "end user version" is planned for later in the year.
That's great news. I'd love my kids to be able to 'just plug it in' without having to login or manually load drivers.

Andrew

Electron

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:00 pm

I have failed to get sound from Scratch out of Debian or Wheezy undated downloads as recent as mid August 2012. Please post a solution as I agree with others that Scratch without sound is very poor. I have reverted to using Scratch on a PC with my grandchildren.

Return to “Beginners”