latro666

Getting gmote to work - please help :*(

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:35 am

Ok guys so trying to get a really cool program to work called gmote. It basically lets you use your android phone as a mouse/kb and remote control for your computer.

I'v managed to unpack the tar.gz from their site:
http://www.gmote.org/server

It would not run without Java, so after a lot of playing about (Linux noob) I managed to get an open version of Java installed via:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
This allows me to run the program (this made me smile as the server appeared on my phone) but ofc life is not this simple and a big old error appeared along the lines of:

/com/sun/jna/linux-arm/libjnidispatch.so not found in resouce path
So after a bit of routing around (learning linux cmds on the way) I found this file in usr/lib/jni. So i'm thinking the open Java I have installed works but the program is looking for this file in the place it would be in the official version.

I tried making that directory '/com/sun/jna/linux-arm/' as a punt and copied the file to it, didn't think it was that simple as Linux rarely is :D. So i'm stuck...

any ideas?

Koolkat

Re: Getting gmote to work - please help :*(

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I have tried to get it working under squeeze and even though it threw the error it looked like I was able to run the program. I could see the server on my phone, but when I tried to connect it wouldn't let me connect. I was wondering if it is because I am:

a) Going through powerline adaptors (unlikely but possible)
b) don't have the wireless configured properly so the port is blocked on the router
c) need to have the server running on a wireless connection also instead of the wired connection that it is running on now.

I didn't catch the error so it is possible that I don't have java installed in the right place. I wonder if a symbolic link to the java lib directory coming from the correct place will sort it out?

-Koolkat

SirLagz

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Koolkat wrote:I have tried to get it working under squeeze and even though it threw the error it looked like I was able to run the program. I could see the server on my phone, but when I tried to connect it wouldn't let me connect. I was wondering if it is because I am:

a) Going through powerline adaptors (unlikely but possible)
b) don't have the wireless configured properly so the port is blocked on the router
c) need to have the server running on a wireless connection also instead of the wired connection that it is running on now.

I didn't catch the error so it is possible that I don't have java installed in the right place. I wonder if a symbolic link to the java lib directory coming from the correct place will sort it out?

-Koolkat
Well, it's definitely not b.
I've used GMote before and it's a bit of a pain to setup sometimes because of the java component of it.
It's been a little while, but I seem to recall being able to set a port on Gmote. Is that option still there ?
Can you telnet into that port from another computer to verify that Gmote is listening ?
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

chorlton

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 pm

@latro666 - It seems like there may be a bug with the Java Native (JNA) library that came with OpenJDK. (I'm a bit unclear on which version you have and when it was fixed). However, the bug description gave a clue as to what's going on.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=576879

There's a system parameter - jna.boot.library.path - which tells JNA where to find jnidispatch. I think if you set this to /usr/lib/jni then it will work. The fix is to look in this location if not set but it's obviously looking elsewhere in your version.

If you edit GmoteServer.sh as follows (I've just added a -D definition) then it should work.

echo "Starting GmoteServer 2.0 ... "
java -Djna.boot.library.path=/usr/lib/jni -classpath bin:lib/jna.jar:lib/slf4j-api-1.5.3.jar:lib/swing-worker-1.2.jar org.gmote.server.GmoteServerUiLinux &
echo "GmoteServer started."
Disclaimer: I don't have a Pi yet, or gmote installed so I haven't tested this.

Koolkat

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Editing the shell script didn't work as it still couldnt find the required libraries. I have since installed rasbmc on a different sd card and the xbmc remote is working fine for that. I have everything working that I wanted to get working. Still a bit odd how gmaote wouldn't work, but the xbmc remote worked first try.

Also I tried both with and without a space after the -D it seemed to make a difference with a space but ran as before without the space.

marcimix

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Really need a gmote for Raspberry :!:

malgaboy

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:25 pm

I have latro666's same problem..

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/gmt# sh GmoteServer.sh
Starting GmoteServer 2.0 ...
GmoteServer started.
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/gmt# 28-Oct-2012 10:13:34 org.gmote.server.settings.SupportedFiletypeSettings <init>
INFO: Initializing supported file types settings.
28-Oct-2012 10:13:34 org.gmote.server.settings.SupportedFiletypeSettings <init>
INFO: Done initializing supported file types settings.
28-Oct-2012 10:13:35 org.gmote.server.GmoteServerUi sharedMain
WARNING: Gmote Version: 2.0.0
28-Oct-2012 10:13:35 org.gmote.server.GmoteServerUi sharedMain
WARNING: OperatingSystem: Linux

mimi012

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue than you with libjnidispatch.so. The object doesn't exist for RPi ?

I'm currently trying to use "Processing" with my RPi and encounter the same problem than explained here (last replies) : https://forum.processing.org/topic/proc ... spberry-pi

Does anyone find a way to deal with this issue or bypass the problem?

Thanks !

AKopp

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 am

Hi,

I also have the same problem.

Here is a discussion about that problem but there is no real solution yet posted.

Does anybody has found a way? I am trying to get a processing program to work on the pi.
Some porgrams work but when the involve the camera then there comes the error.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1463 ... 1#16267321

LeZandre

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:29 pm

There's an update for Java for RPi: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4920

Maybe this version makes Gmote work ?

Return to “Beginners”