trickshot

Configuring/routing sound to USB audio interface

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi

I want to use my Pi as an AirPlay receiver for my home hifi (as well as being an OwnCloud server!). I have installed AirPi on it, and I now want to route audio via a USB soundcard as I cannot use HDMI on my hifi and the analogue output just doesn't sound all that great.

Reading around, I saw that the Fiio E10 USB D/A converter I have seemed to work fine with ALSA ( example here: http://benjamin-steininger.de/2012/04/3 ... ude-e6510/), and when I plug it in and run alsamixer, I can press F6 and see the device there. However if I switch to it, I don't get any sound coming through (and I'm testing it using a local WAV file and using aplay to play it).

Also, if I type "aplay -l" then I get this:

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: Audio [DigiHug USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: Audio [DigiHug USB Audio], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1

I have a few queries here and I'd love it if someone could help me out, because I've been searching for hours now and I'm still flummoxed!

Really my queries are as follows:

1) How can I force audio to route via USB? I know you can use "amixer cset numid=3 x" to set it to either auto, HDMI or the analogue output... but I don't know how that applies to USB. Or am I missing the point completely here?

2) Am I right that if I can see my device in alsamixer then it is configured and working fine? Or am I over-simplifying things?

Basically I just can't figure out a definitive way to manage and configure audio. I've a feeling this Fiio E10 would work, though FWIW I do also have a Soundblaster X-Fi Go which I could use too if need be....

Help! Any advice (or a link to a definitive guide on the matter!) would be much appreciated...

Thanks all!

D.

trickshot

Re: Configuring/routing sound to USB audio interface

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Just as an update to this... If I type

Code: Select all

aplay -Dplughw:1,0 -c2 police_s.wav
... then I hear the audio file play. So, I know the USB audio interface works - I just don't know how to assign audio to route out through it!

mattpitts74

Re: Configuring/routing sound to USB audio interface

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi There

Did you ever get the Fiio DAC working on your pi? I have just got hold of one and hoping to get it hooked up to my stereo too.

Return to “Beginners”