wobocanizo

Offline installing programs.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm

I know I can install packages using the package manager on rpi, but mine isn't connected to the internet. Is there any way round this, probably a stupid question, I know. :?

nick.mccloud

Re: Offline installing programs.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 pm

You could download a CD/DVD of your distro and fish packages out of there and on to the card.

jecxjo

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Depending on your distro you can install via local package files. Remember that it is now up to you to find all of the dependencies. I'm in a meeting, hopefully someone can post URLs to the repo sites so you can download manualy.

Debian

Code: Select all

dpkg -i foo-1.0.deb
Arch

Code: Select all

pacman -U foo-1.0.tar.xz
xmpp: [email protected]
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I,m guessing that they will be fairly big downloads.............and go out of date very quickly ;)

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

bredman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34 am

These instructions are for Debian.

Assuming you are using a Windows PC and you know the name of the package you want to download...

1. Use the PC to download the DEB file from http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/xxxx/download where xxxx is the package name
(example http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/samba/download)

2. Place the RPi SD card into a card reader on the PC. You will see a 70MB disk drive. Copy the DEB file to the 70MB disk drive.

3. Move the SD card to the RPi and turn it on. From the command line enter the command
dpkg -i /boot/xxxx.deb

If you need a lot of DEB files, you could run out of space on the small 70MB boot partition. In this case, you might find it more useful to use a USB stick or USB drive to move the files from the PC to the RPi. If you don't have a USB stick or USB drive, you have to move the DEB files a few at a time, copy the DEB files to your home directory, and delete the previous DEB files to make space.

If you have a Linux PC, you have an easier life. A Linux PC can see the full contents of the SD card, so you can copy the files directly to your home directory without needing to use the 70MB boot partition.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am

Am I missing something here? The OP says he has no connection to the network and the solutions involve downloading stuff from the Internet.
If the user is living in the middle of the Gobi desert with no access to the Internet, fine. If he lives anywhere else on the planet, the solution is to attach the Pi to the other end of a networked Ethernet cable.

bredman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:57 am

To be correct, the OP said that his Raspberry Pi was not connected to the Internet, not that he has no Internet connection. Most people have access to a networked-connected PC at a net cafe or a library, but I admit the situation in the Gobi desert may be more dire.

This is a valid case for some users who do not have a router/switch available. This may happen if their PC uses a 3G modem for internet connection. To be exact, in this case, it would be better to build a network bridge within the Windows PC from 3G to Ethernet.

If somebody is in the middle of the Gobi desert, they are really out of luck. There is no CD/DVD available of Squeeze armel packages. The user would have to build it himself, from the internet of course.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:27 pm

I tend to go for the simple solution. I liken it to fat people who insist on invasive surgery rather than laying off the cake. After all, I have a name and reputation to maintain.

hippy

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 pm

bredman wrote:This is a valid case for some users who do not have a router/switch available.
I have a similar problem using the QEMU emulation of the R-Pi - Multiple NIC's / networks on the PC and while QEMU will see local servers on my PC and LAN it cannot access the internet.

Thanks to the 'how to' I should be able to download the packages and then wget them into QEMU. Not perfect but better than setting up bridges / ICS / NAT / proxies that I don't want and will compromise the security I have, so hopefully I can get on with trying things and worry about resolving the QEMU issue later.

God

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 pm

@ Bredman and grumpyoldgit

Bredman, cheers going to give that a go, I haven't extended the partition on the SD card yet, should I do so?

Grumpy, Bredman read the post correctly I have wireless internet from my PC but the router isn't any where that I can drag a pi and monitor so it's not going to happen with an Ethernet cable.

rasbeer

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 pm

You don't need the monitor if you SSH into the Pi...

God

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Ah I see..... Is that easy to do *looks very afraid*?

God

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:11 pm

God wrote:@ Bredman and grumpyoldgit

Bredman, cheers going to give that a go, I haven't extended the partition on the SD card yet, should I do so?

Grumpy, Bredman read the post correctly I have wireless internet from my PC but the router isn't any where that I can drag a pi and monitor so it's not going to happen with an Ethernet cable.

Apologies to Bredman and Grumpy.... I answered this as if it was in my WiFi thread. I am afraid I didn't notice I was in the wrong one!

treczoks

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi!

I've got a similar problem: I've got a RPi in one place (where there is a TV with HDMI, but no net), and a PC (Linux) in another location (with net, but nothing resembling HDMI or composite within reach).

I know I can pull down the one or other DEB file onto a whatever drive (USB stick, USB HD), but in my experience whenever I pull one package, I need a bunch of dependency packages, too. So I see me either running many, many times from one place to the other, wearing down the one or other pair of shoes to install some packages on my RPi. Or I could just download all packages for the architecture, even if there are some I'll never need, but would have at hand whatever dependency the installer throws in my face. And as I'm just getting familiar with the system, I don't exactly know what packages I'd need to make the RPi a comfortable place,

I'm no debian user (I prefer OpenSuse for my desktop), and I have not yet found an easy way to get all the files matching a particular architecture from the servers. I could get the files list and do a horrible perl contraption that just wgets all over the server on its quest for the right files, but this is not nice, neither the writing of the tools, nor the load I would cause.

Is there a way to just download a sufficiently current archive of all *_armel.DEB files?

Yours, Christian

needsomehelp2

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:49 am

Hello all

i have a similar problem, but i already have debian and all that working.

i would only like to install some programs,

but im not sure what files to download, or then what to do.

so for example, open office is one of the programs.
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/openoffice.org

im not sure what o download, so i downloaded all the files under the "download source package"
and then went to the openoffice website and downloaded the 120mb open office pack for debian.

i tried using the command line
dpkg -i /boot/xxxx.deb
but since theres about 30 deb files i wasnt sure which one so i just tried a few but none worked.

is there an easier way to do this, im not sure why all this is so difficult, these i believe are some reasons why people dont try these products and stick with windows with its easy installation and such, but im willing to keep trying and learn how to do this.
please help

also, i bought a 16gb sd card with debian pre installed but it says that it only has 1.5 gb of space on the card, any ideas?

Return to “Beginners”