castalla

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 am

The latest Xbian Alpha uses wheezy - I've had no luck setting up my edimax nano using the xbian setup routine.

I have an unsecured network - the ssid is correctly added to the wpa-supplicant file. No other changes are evident in the fefault interfaces & wpa-supplicant files.

The dongle flashes once only. No wifi connection is ever made.

Anybody else had similar issues with edimax and xbian wifi?

Any solutions?

photomattmills

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am

can't seem to get mine working. I've tried both the 9/18 and latest images, with the same problem:

Code: Select all

[   89.287710] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8176
[   89.287738] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[   89.287755] usb 1-1.2.2: Product: Wireless N USB Adapter
[   89.287768] usb 1-1.2.2: Manufacturer: Realtek
[   89.287780] usb 1-1.2.2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
[  349.899430] rtl8192cu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[  375.598609] rtlwifi: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[  388.363752] 8192cu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[  422.042274] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192cu
[  423.073729] usb 1-1.2.2: USB disconnect, device number 87
That last line, the 'USB disconnect' happens when the kernel module is loaded. I've tried compiling the driver from source, and also using a powered hub, and nothing seems to work. Thoughts? This same adapter works fine plugged into my macbook. Thanks,

Matt

markcamos

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:17 pm

When I ran the script it let me know that with my version of Raspbian I needed to use the GUI install. That was very considerate of you to detect!

The install worked great, and I'm using the RPi wirelessly to compose this response. Thanks!

robert84

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 am

johnmccabe wrote:Looking like it might be a power management issue, if I leave a ping running indefinitely (in a tmux session) then I'm not seeing the pi become unresponsive to incoming requests (via ssh or to the nginx webserver). I'd left it running a ping over night with my other ethernet connected pi attempting to connect every minute (if never failed).

When I stop the pings then the ssh session goes inactive after a short time, and I'm not able to ping the pi. It eventually becomes accessible again, but then as before becomes inaccessible.

I'm kinda surprised at this tbh as iwconfig shows the power management as off:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"XXXXXXXXXXX"  Nickname:"<[email protected]>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          Bit Rate:150 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=83/100  Noise level=0/100
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this, I'd just jumped in after using it to get the wifi up and running initially.
You're right about those symptoms being power management related. The 8192cu kernel module has power management enabled by default:

[email protected] ~ $ cat /sys/module/8192cu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt
I was able to disable power management completely by creating /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf with the following contents:

# Disable power saving
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0
After creating the file, you will need to reboot. You can confirm that power management is disabled after rebooting by verifying that the value of the rtw_power_mgnt parameter is now 0.

[email protected] ~ $ cat /sys/module/8192cu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt
Thanks for suggesting that those symptoms might be power management issue. I was fighting the same thing, and now I'm no longer seeing the dropouts, and the latency on pings is now far more consistent.

johnmccabe

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:16 pm

robert84 wrote:Thanks for suggesting that those symptoms might be power management issue. I was fighting the same thing, and now I'm no longer seeing the dropouts, and the latency on pings is now far more consistent.
Awesome, I hadn't realised it was possible to alter the module settings like that, thanks Robert !!

bijurama

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi there:

I have latest raspbian 2012-09-18-wheezy and when I try to install the script says - sorry but the script will not currently setup the on this image. You need to start the GUI using command startx and set it up using wifi Config."... But when I go to startx->wifi config no adapters are listed ..? How can I set it up ..?

Thanks and much appreciated.
/Biju

Gerrelt

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 pm

@MrEngman: Thank you very much for creating this script! I could not get wifi going on my Debian Wheezy install, and after a few hours I found your script. I had wifi up and running in no time!
Thans again!
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

bijurama

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Gerrelt wrote:@MrEngman: Thank you very much for creating this script! I could not get wifi going on my Debian Wheezy install, and after a few hours I found your script. I had wifi up and running in no time!
Thans again!
Hello Garrelt:

Are you running the latest Wheezy, if so how did u manage to run the script ..? 'cause when I try to run the says to use GUI wifi app to configure ..?

Thanks
/Biju

bijurama

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:54 pm

markcamos wrote:When I ran the script it let me know that with my version of Raspbian I needed to use the GUI install. That was very considerate of you to detect!

The install worked great, and I'm using the RPi wirelessly to compose this response. Thanks!
Hello maskcamos:

I get the same error message , how did u manage to run/use GUI install ..?

Thanks
/Biju

bgirardot

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:07 pm

bijurama wrote:
markcamos wrote:When I ran the script it let me know that with my version of Raspbian I needed to use the GUI install. That was very considerate of you to detect!

Hello maskcamos:

Thanks
/Biju
Did you type startx after you logged into your RPi? There will be a wifi icon on the desktop once the desktop environment starts up.

sarahr

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 am

Greetings - I'm using the Edimax USB mini dongle, with the following script and files:

install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh

(downloaded from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/instal ... -latest.sh) and

8192cu-20120701.tar.gz

Things seem to be proceeding okay with the install until the network scan takes place. Here's what I'm seeing:

Bringing up wifi adapter.
Bringing up wlan0 - OK.

The script will now attempt to find a list of available wifi networks.
Press any key to continue...

Scanning networks using wlan0
The scan for wifi networks failed to find any networks.

Press any key to continue...
This puts me into an endless loop of searching for networks that I can only exit via ctrl-c. Meanwhile, the laptop from which I type this entry is displaying no fewer than four available networks, including my own, which is using WPA2.

Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks.

sarahr

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 am

Per a similar report that I found here (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 77#p176577), I'm trying to run the install script while having the dongle plugged into a powered USB hub. We'll see if that makes a difference or not...

[Tries it...]

Nope, no luck. Same response as before: "The scan for wifi networks failed to find any networks."

I'm now open to ideas on this. Thanks.

Gerrelt

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 am

bijurama wrote:
Gerrelt wrote:@MrEngman: Thank you very much for creating this script! I could not get wifi going on my Debian Wheezy install, and after a few hours I found your script. I had wifi up and running in no time!
Thans again!
Hello Garrelt:

Are you running the latest Wheezy, if so how did u manage to run the script ..? 'cause when I try to run the says to use GUI wifi app to configure ..?

Thanks
/Biju
Hi Biju,

I used Soft-float Debian wheezy, the second image that can be downloaded on the download page.
Are you running the script from the command line? I used SSH to connect to the Raspberry, and then download and run the script. Like this:

mkdir wifi
cd wifi
sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.sh
sudo chmod u+x install-rtl8188cus.sh
Then run the script, and follow the instructions. It will probably reboot and then you will run the sript again. I also ran the update at the end, I don't know if that is really necessary (it took a long time).
Run the script:

sudo ./install-rtl8188cus.sh
At the end I rebooted and disconnected the network cable, and I had a wireless network connection!
The reboot command:

sudo shutdown -r now
Greetings,
Gerrelt.

bijurama

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 pm

bgirardot wrote:
bijurama wrote:

Hello maskcamos:

Thanks
/Biju
Did you type startx after you logged into your RPi? There will be a wifi icon on the desktop once the desktop environment starts up.
Yes I did and I do have the wifi icon but my adapter is not listed ..?

bijurama

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Gerrelt wrote:
bijurama wrote:
Thans again!
Hello Garrelt:

Thanks
/Biju
Hi Biju,

I used Soft-float Debian wheezy, the second image that can be downloaded on the download page.
Are you running the script from the command line? I used SSH to connect to the Raspberry, and then download and run the script. Like this:

mkdir wifi
cd wifi
sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.sh
sudo chmod u+x install-rtl8188cus.sh
Then run the script, and follow the instructions. It will probably reboot and then you will run the sript again. I also ran the update at the end, I don't know if that is really necessary (it took a long time).
Run the script:

sudo ./install-rtl8188cus.sh
At the end I rebooted and disconnected the network cable, and I had a wireless network connection!
The reboot command:

sudo shutdown -r now
Greetings,
Gerrelt.
Hello Gerrelt:

As you mentioned I tried with Soft-float Debian wheezy and the script worked like a charm. I see the Adapter light flickering, but(there is always a but ..:-).. I still cannot connect to my wifi network. When rebooting I see the following error on the screen
Failed to bring up wlan0
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
invalid argument "Nat09"

Here is my interfaces file
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0

auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid cinnamonhouse
wireless-key Nat09

Do you why I get this error message ..?

Thanks you very much for your help.

/Biju

Gerrelt

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Biju,

What did you answer to this question?:

Press U/u if the network is unsecured, E/e if WEP, or A/a if WPA/WPA2.

I guess you answered "E", for WEP. But is that right? Most people use WPA/WPA2.

Greetings,

Gerrelt.

sarahr

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Any suggestions for what I might try? The problem is that the setup is not "seeing" any networks, apparently - although the laptop next to me is seeing at least four.

kloareg

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm pulling my hair out with this one. I'm running the latest Wheezy, all updated etc, and have an Edimax EW-7811Un which works (tested in Windoze). The 'scan' from the Wpa-gui returns nothing, whether the wifi adapter is plugged into a powered hub, or directly into the Pi, and with the wifi box being only a few inches away..........
Am I missing something? :?:
Thanks in advance, Kloareg
If at first you don't succeed, give up!

sarahr

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Sounds like we're in the same boat...

kloareg

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Sarahr,
Looks like we're going to sink together.....nice knowing you.
Kloareg/color]
If at first you don't succeed, give up!

dime

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 pm

kloareg wrote:Hi Sarahr,
Looks like we're going to sink together.....nice knowing you.
Kloareg/color]
same issue with my EW-7811UN, tried latest xbian/raspbmc/openelec
network-settings plugin detects nearby networks, but no connection ever made
tried both wpa and wpa2, tried every variation of network settings made available in the builds
config file looks correct
clueless here, i gave up
power issue? channel issue? doubt it :?:

Dweeber

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:50 pm

For current versions of the OS, this script is no longer needed as the drivers are included in the distro.
Primary purpose of this script was to load the proper drivers... that is not needed any longer.

If you are having connection problems it is most likely caused by something else. You should create a new thread and provide details of your issues. Saying it doesn't work without any details makes it pretty hard to provide any kind of feedback.

This thread should be locked.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Previous poster is right - this thread is out of date. If you are having problems with particular adapters, please search more relevent posts, and if you find nothing, create a new thread.

Thanks.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Beginners”