HurrDurrPotato

Wht is THE largest class 10 SD card you got working?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:52 pm

I know there are a lot of 32GB class 10 SD cards, but are there 64GB cards you have got working?

RaspConnect

Re: Wht is THE largest class 10 SD card you got working?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 pm

A list of SD cards tested with the RPi are at http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards which does include Class 10 64gb sd cards
www.RaspberryConnect.com - Raspberry Pi projects & guides and web view of the Raspbian package lists.

71chevellejohn

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:07 am

I've got a 64GB Lexar SDXC Platinum II 200x Class 10 that does not appear to work. I am very new to this so I was not sure if it was something I was doing wrong. But then took the same NOOBS load and put it on a 4GB class 4 and it is working flawlessly.

rdb

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 am

[Edited with updated info]
The current generation of SDXC cards which are SD3.0 should work on the Pi, however to address above 32GB in a single partition, it will need to be formatted as exFAT (or ext4/3).

Having a single FAT boot partition of less than 32Gb with the remainder if the volume being used by an ext4 rootfs partition should work for standalone Raspbian.

If you want to use the card for NOOBS it will need to be reformatted to FAT (not exFAT) as this is a requirement for the bootloader. NOOBS then repartitions the card itself so the entire volume will be used with only the initial (<32GB) partition being FAT.

jbeale

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 pm

[UPDATED]
rdb wrote:Our hardware experts tell me that we don't have an SDXC SD4.0 controller so are limited to only using current generation SDXC (SD3.0) cards.
Oops! I guess this 128 GB card was a waste of money then:
Lexar SDXC 128 ? LSD128CTBNA400 UHS-I AdamGreenblatt 12 Aug 2012
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards#SD_cards
Also I recall Liz blogging about a Bhutan school with self-contained RPi server for Khan Academy videos (KA Lite). http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3684 It mentions use of a 64 GB SD card costing more than the R-Pi.

I suppose you can also use a 64 GB or larger USB memory stick, they are not much different in $/GB from SD cards, and may have advantages due to being separate from the volume containing the running OS image.

solar3000

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:17 am

someone got a 128GB SD card working....
I use 32GB cards.
Antikythera

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 am

71chevellejohn wrote:I've got a 64GB Lexar SDXC Platinum II 200x Class 10 that does not appear to work. I am very new to this so I was not sure if it was something I was doing wrong. But then took the same NOOBS load and put it on a 4GB class 4 and it is working flawlessly.
Did you reformat the card to FAT first?

If not then it won't work, the bootloader doesn't understand exFAT which is how SDXC cards are initially formatted

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

71chevellejohn

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 am

gsh wrote:
71chevellejohn wrote:I've got a 64GB Lexar SDXC Platinum II 200x Class 10 that does not appear to work. I am very new to this so I was not sure if it was something I was doing wrong. But then took the same NOOBS load and put it on a 4GB class 4 and it is working flawlessly.
Did you reformat the card to FAT first?

If not then it won't work, the bootloader doesn't understand exFAT which is how SDXC cards are initially formatted

Gordon
Ah, that could be the problem.

I used the SD org formatting program but didn't see an option to set it to FAT. I tried it as exFAT and also as NTFS(via the Windows format function). I'll see if I can make it work as with FAT and post the results.

Johnny5C

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I have a 4GB card formatted with the recommended SDFormatter and it works fine, but I do the same with a 64GB card and it does not boot.

I doing time lapse, so I need more storage space. I thought a simple swap to a larger SD would crack it.

This line stands out:
If you want to use the card for NOOBS it will need to be reformatted to FAT (not exFAT) as this is a requirement for the bootloader. NOOBS then repartitions the card itself so the entire volume will be used with only the initial (<32GB) partition being FAT.

The recommended SD Formatter only does exFAT...

Johnny5C

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Formatted using a different disk manager to FAT32 for the File System, and 32KB for Cluster Size and it boots...

Just posting this solution for anyone who follows in my footsteps via google...

Cheers

mspohr

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Just thought I would add my successful experience with a 64GB SDXC card branded "SCT" (class 10).
I first formatted it using the MacOS Diskutil and selected FAT and security option overwrite with 0 one time (this took about an hour... use ctrl-T to view progress).
I am using this card for ownCloud and wanted to transfer my existing installation from a 4Gig card I had used to test the setup so I used dd to copy the 4Gig card to the 64Gig card.
dd if=/dev/rdisk2 of=/dev/disk3 bs=1m
(use "diskutil list" to get the right numbers for the disk... use "diskutil unmountDisk to unmount before running dd....dd took about 15 minutes)
I then booted the new 64G card and ran raspi-config to expand the file system to the new card size.
Works great!

gsh

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

That elinux page is not very good, I've not found an SD card that doesn't work with Raspberry Pi except some very old ones (MMC cards)

I've got a couple of Samsung 64G cards which work fine...
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

adnaneh

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 pm

I use 64GB.
I had tough time at the beginning,it was my first booting with a card ever; I even did not know whether it is the card, the memory or what.
Then I divided the partition over two, and I made sure that it was FAT32. Then it works fine.

gsh

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:45 am

It was almost definitely the fat32 filesystem that was key... Basically if it's not FAT it aint booting!

Still haven't actually seen a card that doesn't work!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

DMChatterton

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Just to add my recent experience. I obtained a Samsung EVO 64GB Micro SD SDXC Class 10 UHS-I memory card to use with my Raspberry Pi model B+.
Although the Instructions-ReadMe.txt file in the NOOBS folder states that the card should be formatted with the downloaded Formatting Tool from the SD Association, this tool seems to format the card in exFAT (on account of its size). I found it necessary to re-format the card using Apple's Disc Utility which uses the FAT that the Pi can read. Just copying the files from the NOOBS Folder (created from the downloaded Zip file) was all that the Pi needed to boot up and install the operating system.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Class 10 is not an indication of getting the best (overall) speed out of your card, that has been abundantly told in many posts. Still people keep asking about class 10 cards, such is the power of commerce. :roll:

nielsvaes

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Johnny5C wrote:Formatted using a different disk manager to FAT32 for the File System, and 32KB for Cluster Size and it boots...

Just posting this solution for anyone who follows in my footsteps via google...

Cheers
I just wanted to add that this did the trick for me with a Raspberry Pi 2. I have a 64GB card that was formatted as exFAT. I used Paritition Magic to delete the existing partition(s), create a new one as FAT32. It didn't work, until I did it again and made sure the cluster size was set to 32kb. That worked and now my Pi 2 boots.

So if you're arriving here through Google, make sure you set the cluster size to 32kb.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:46 pm

information on exFAT on > 32GB cards, and what to do about it, is in the stickies http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/posti ... 1&p=677748

frbox

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:14 pm

nielsvaes wrote: I just wanted to add that this did the trick for me with a Raspberry Pi 2. I have a 64GB card that was formatted as exFAT. I used Paritition Magic to delete the existing partition(s), create a new one as FAT32. It didn't work, until I did it again and made sure the cluster size was set to 32kb. That worked and now my Pi 2 boots.
So, I have a 64Go SD.

On Mac OS X, I ran:

Code: Select all

sudo newfs_msdos -F 32 -c 64 -v RPi /dev/disk2
Then I copied NOOBS Lite v1.4 plus HEAD of the master branch (github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.git)

✘ My Raspberry 2 B doesn't start.
✔︎ I did exactly the same installation with a 16Go SD and my Raspberry 1 B+ starts.

NB: If the 2B boots on the installed 16Go SD card, I can watch the firmware boot. I have a black screen while the OS is booting... or crashing.

kusti8

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Why are you messing with the firmware? Simply download the zip containing NOOBS and copy that to the card.

Or just write the image, a lot easier and no messing with FAT on SD CARD cards. Instructions can be found online.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:37 pm

frbox wrote:
nielsvaes wrote: I just wanted to add that this did the trick for me with a Raspberry Pi 2. I have a 64GB card that was formatted as exFAT. I used Paritition Magic to delete the existing partition(s), create a new one as FAT32. It didn't work, until I did it again and made sure the cluster size was set to 32kb. That worked and now my Pi 2 boots.
So, I have a 64Go SD.

On Mac OS X, I ran:

Code: Select all

sudo newfs_msdos -F 32 -c 64 -v RPi /dev/disk2
Then I copied NOOBS Lite v1.4 plus HEAD of the master branch (github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.git)

✘ My Raspberry 2 B doesn't start.
✔︎ I did exactly the same installation with a 16Go SD and my Raspberry 1 B+ starts.

NB: If the 2B boots on the installed 16Go SD card, I can watch the firmware boot. I have a black screen while the OS is booting... or crashing.
http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/ra ... e-pi-baker
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

frbox

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks. But it did'nt solve my issue. I can't start the OS yet.
I will buy a new 16Go SD card and keep the 64Go SD card for my camera.

EDIT: it works on my new 16Go SD card.

susalt

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:36 pm

just tried a 64gb class 10 SanDisk ultra and it wouldn't work until I re-partitioned the drive to have a two 32gb partitions. I then just copied NOOBS to the first partition and it booted and installed fine.

Return to “Beginners”