moorecats

any recommendations for a USB microphone

Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi

I want to hook up a USB microphone for messing around with voice recognition. Any suggestions?

Thank you

sdjf

Re: any recommendations for a USB microphone

Tue May 14, 2013 2:31 pm

The Pi will not take sound input without a sound card, just a microphone without also having a sound card will not work, did you know that?
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || My 512MB Model B only runs Arch.

moorecats

Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Actually, did not know that. I thought I could use a USB microphone. Thanks for pointing that out. Any suggestions on a set up?

mikerr

Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 pm

A normal microphone won't work (the Pi's audio jack socket is output only),
but a USB microphone may well work as it effectively has it's own built in sound card.

tested compatible sound cards for pi:
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... ound_Cards
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

pluggy

Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I would have thought it would go without saying that a USB microphone would supply its own ADC which is what the analogue microphone would need. What's a sound card got to do with anything ?
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

mindmasta

Tue May 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I successfully recorded sound some months ago using the built-in mic on an old USB webcam... so sorta killed two birds w/ one stone..... video & audio from the same device, using only one USB port.

(sorry I don't have more details, but it was some time ago.... can't remember how I recorded the sound.... arecord, perhaps?)

moorecats

Tue May 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Old USB webcam eh? I will just pick one of those up in that case. Anything I should look out for when picking one up?

mindmasta

Tue May 14, 2013 8:38 pm

moorecats wrote:Old USB webcam eh? I will just pick one of those up in that case. Anything I should look out for when picking one up?

....I think it was a Logitech web cam.. one of those "Cxxx" series things. I didn't have to do too much to get it working, either.... as long as the software to record is there (again, sorry... can't remember for sure, but I think it was 'arecord'), I think it's just a matter of plugging it in, telling it maybe which port to use, how many seconds to record for, and which bit-rate.

Don't spend a ton of money... not necessary.

moorecats

Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 am

Thank you!

Sphinx

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Hello moorecats,

I'm also interested on playing around voice recognition. Which software are you using on RaspberryPi for that ?
Did you succeed ? Do you have a blog where describe your experiences ?
Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

latinclown3

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm

To answer your voice recognition software question:
http://stevenhickson.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ry-pi.html
Steven has a V3.0 at this time and looks very promising. I'll be buying a microphone very VERY soon to try this out. :ugeek:

SteveHickson

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I use a Logitech C310 webcam for my software.
I've heard a PS Eye works well too.

TMMS

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 am

It seems that most of you know little about electronics or embedded systems.
Well, an USB microphone has an embedded board containing a small DSP with USB support. That means that it has a ADC, codec and USB firmware designed to be recognized as a small sound card, in this case, with an microphone and a amplifier built in the same board for the only purpose of microphone sound input.
It would be the same as connecting an USB sound card and then the microphone and its amplifier on the line input. The only real difference here is that it only has this one input.

lenkf

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm a little late to this thread but will add:
I decided to see if I could get the mic on my MS LifeCam hd3000 working.

I have 2 rpi computers setup with medium overclock (700-900mhz). I grab the sound off my outdoor aviary webcam (rpi1) and pipe it to the indoor rpi2 using this syntax on rpi1:

arecord -D plughw:1,0 -f cd | ssh -C root@rpi2 aplay -f cd

I could also use "-f dat" for better quality sound, but that uses more cpu resource to transmit more data.

I also had to play with alsamixer to set the input volume of the microphone on the rpi1 webcam. Too high and there may be too much noise, too low and the cheap PC amplified speaker on rpi2 may not have enough to work with. Luckily, one can hear in almost real-time changes made with alsamixer. There's about a 1 second delay as the sound data traverses the wireless network connections of the rpi computers. The "record level" can also affect cpu resources as a higher record setting sends more data over the network. One must find a sweet spot in all the settings to avoid network sound drops.

I watch the aviary from any computer on the home network with Firefox and have gotten used to mentally adjusting the 1 second audio delay combined with the 4 second delay of Motion running on rpi1 aviary computer.

While the actual arecord command on rpi1 doesn't take much cpu resource, the ssh command used to pipe the data to rpi2 uses 30+% of cpu resource, and motion can take even more depending if it's making a video of motion in the foreground or running its webserver. Sometimes Motion gets confused and quits or partially quits and has to be stopped and restarted. I had to rebuild the Sandisk C-4 8G SD card this morning due to corruption last night. First time that's happened in the 2 weeks I've been playing with audio.

The mic is unusually sensitive. I can hear birds and dogs in the neighborhood, airplanes flying overhead, modified exhaust motorcycles 3 blocks away, neighbors mowing the lawn, as well as the burbling budgies in the aviary :)

I haven't figured a way to hear the sound from a Win7 PC without some serious custom software on the Win7 PC (emulating linux alsa commands?).

fred

MAxm

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:51 am

Is this something that could work? http://www.thomann.de/se/blue_icicle.htm

remijonquieres

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Hello,

The NovoSIP video door station uses a USB microphone plugged in the Raspberry Pi and it works perfectly.

If somebody is interested about it he can ask on the site: http://www.novosip.com maybe they can supply it. The microphone is very cheap but it is sufficient for a lot of applications such as intercom.

Their door-phone includes also the Raspcam.

I think that it is a Chinese model but I am not sure.

Cordially,

Remi

ultimatepi

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 am

Hi there

I managed to use a USB Microphone off eBay for voice recognition. Link here: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/360592515604?nav=SEARCH

Or you could use the microphone off an old usb webcam.

Hope this helps

ultimatepi
I am still learning the world of Raspberry Pi, apologies if I double post.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

AwesomeTS

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:10 pm

there is no sound card for a mic but a simple way to get one is make sure you have ALSA and run the command: sudo aptitude install pulseaudio
pulse audio is a sound manager that can send sound over the internet threw vnc, but is also has a sound card for mics

and for the mic i recomend Logitech USB Desktop Microphone
$65 online

drgeoff

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:37 pm

AwesomeTS wrote:there is no sound card for a mic but a simple way to get one is make sure you have ALSA and run the command: sudo aptitude install pulseaudio
pulse audio is a sound manager that can send sound over the internet threw vnc, but is also has a sound card for mics

and for the mic i recomend Logitech USB Desktop Microphone
$65 online
There should be a law against posting while under the influence of alcohol.

ShunJianLee

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Does logitech h340 able to use on pi 2? thanks

Logitech h340 spec: http://www.oktabit.gr/images/pdfs/176-26-LOHH340.pdf

zoelee4

Mon May 09, 2016 1:43 am

Hi I am having a problem with my mic I have both a pi2 and pi3 however the mic only works on the pi3 I would love some help thanks

Return to “Beginners”