LukUndTrug

About backfeeding

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 am

So I know that my RPi (Model B, 512MB, rev. 000f) can be backfed over the internal USB hub via an external, powered hub. But I also heard, that operating the RPi this way is not very safe if the powered hub does no good job at overvoltage protection. The thing is, I don't know how much of that applies to my revision or how much of that is outdated information.

I know that my Hub (LogiLink UA0085, powered) will backfeed into the RPi. (I don't have it yet myself, but other users have reported that it does)

What I don't know is: is it still backfeeding if I connect the RPi's micro USB power port to a Hub port? (i.e: will the 'correct' power line drown out the 'incorrect', backfed, line and thus make the whole operation safe again? I have seen this looped setup a few times [with this precise hub even], but I don't know for sure.)
Or is it actually completely safe to operate my RPi using only backfeeding by now due to some hardware changes I didn't catch?

I have not found *definite* information regarding that and I'd very much like to not have to have two separate power plugs (for the RPi *and* the hub).

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

SirLagz

Re: About backfeeding

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 am

LukUndTrug wrote:is it still backfeeding if I connect the RPi's micro USB power port to a Hub port? (i.e: will the 'correct' power line drown out the 'incorrect', backfed, line and thus make the whole operation safe again? I have seen this looped setup a few times [with this precise hub even], but I don't know for sure.)
Yes, It's still backfeeding unless you cut the red power line going from the Pi's USB A port to the Hubs USB B port.

It's not 'safe' to backfeed as theres no circuit protection in case of a short of a surge, but If your power supply is not a dodgey china jobbie, then you shouldn't have issues backfeeding.
I'm backfeeding one of my Pis now with a Linksys power supply and a cheap 7 port hub
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

HenryF

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 am

SirLagz wrote:
LukUndTrug wrote:is it still backfeeding if I connect the RPi's micro USB power port to a Hub port? (i.e: will the 'correct' power line drown out the 'incorrect', backfed, line and thus make the whole operation safe again? I have seen this looped setup a few times [with this precise hub even], but I don't know for sure.)
Yes, It's still backfeeding unless you cut the red power line going from the Pi's USB A port to the Hubs USB B port.

It's not 'safe' to backfeed as theres no circuit protection in case of a short of a surge, but If your power supply is not a dodgey china jobbie, then you shouldn't have issues backfeeding.
I'm backfeeding one of my Pis now with a Linksys power supply and a cheap 7 port hub
But you can assure me that if I cut the red line the hub will still provide data from my devices to the pi?
Thanks
HenryF

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 am

HenryF wrote:....

But you can assure me that if I cut the red line the hub will still provide data from my devices to the pi?
Thanks
HenryF
nice 16month necro
yes cutting the red wire [as long as the power line is red as it is in 99% of all cases] will still provide data
you need the ground and data line to be connected as they are all used but the power will just stop power back flowing
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

123splat

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Rat,
So what is wrong with a necropost if it gets the poster's question answered?

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:47 pm

123splat wrote:Rat,
So what is wrong with a necropost if it gets the poster's question answered?
nothing much really TBH
I suppose these are found via the power of google ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Beginners”