swissyellow

Total beginner in tears at Wifi set up (solved)

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm in bits here.

Raspberry Pi purchased as my daughter and I want to learn, we're total beginnners, Enthusiastic but blundering into the unknown.

I have a BT infinity Home up downstairs.

I purchased a Raspberry Pi.
This
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... 04_s00_i00
this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... 02_s00_i00
and this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... 01_s00_i00

I've followed tutorials and forums from all over the world on how to edit the wpa config.

I have no joy, all I get is rt2x00lib_request firmware failed to request.

We have to connect WiFI as we can't take an ethernet cable up to her room, it's too far.

My daughter's in tears, I'm in bits ready to throw the thing in the bin! please help someone. where the heck do we start? the forums on the topic just turn us round and we're so confused.

ahstwin

Re: Total beginner in tears at Wifi set up

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Isn't there a tool on the desktop for wifi set up? It should be fairly user friendly if you haven't given it a go yet

joan

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 pm

What does work? Have you got a usable screen and keyboard on the Pi?

swissyellow

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Yes, Pi works fine. everything except networking. I've now driven to friends house and have plugged it into an Ethernet cable and following this.

http://dembtech.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/ ... ry-pi.html

poing

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 pm

If you type 'startx' after you started the Pi (and logged in) you see an icon with two rings on the desktop called WiFi Config. Doubleclick that icon and then you should see the dongle as Adapter.

swissyellow

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm

OK, so Wicd installed. internet works wired.

Got home, Wicd scans and doesn't find the network.

Any ideas? help!

swissyellow

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 pm

poing wrote:If you type 'startx' after you started the Pi (and logged in) you see an icon with two rings on the desktop called WiFi Config. Doubleclick that icon and then you should see the dongle as Adapter.

There's no icon on the start up, just the raspberry pi logo and nothing on the desktop.

dake

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Hello

If you look at the bottom left of your screen you should see a icon that looks like two wings of a bird click
on it another menu will open up click on internet icon and you should see wpa_gui click this and select your adapter from the top.

toxibunny

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Hmm... well I know nothing about the wifi setup, but there's one review on amazon which says that thing you bought is a hassle (was it your review?) - I'm waiting for a similar item from ebay - it was dead cheap, and I googled it and found a forum post which said it set up fine. here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290812066368? ... 1497.l2649

I'd suggest that you don't waste any more tears on your current setup and just order that thing. Before you do though, do some obvious things - reinstall your SD card, try a different OS on your SD card, try moving the raspi closer to your router, and try changing the antenna position on your router. If none of those work, order that other dongle off of ebay and just relax and do something else until it arrives. have a cup of tea :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

poing

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm

swissyellow wrote:
poing wrote:If you type 'startx' after you started the Pi (and logged in) you see an icon with two rings on the desktop called WiFi Config. Doubleclick that icon and then you should see the dongle as Adapter.

There's no icon on the start up, just the raspberry pi logo and nothing on the desktop.
That's weird. You should have a row of icons on the left side of the screen (Terminal, Midori, Python, WiFi Config):

I think your distribution is not loaded well or something. What happens if you do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
These commands update the Pi with the latest programs.
Last edited by poing on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

The core problem is that WiFi on Linux is always catch-as-catch-can. I.e., when you buy something in a store, you know it will work under Windows. Under Linux, it is a sometimes, maybe, sort of thing. As far as I can tell (and I could easily be wrong), you never stated what kind of Wifi device you were trying to get working with the Pi.

Incidentally, that was the main reason why I bought a Hackberry (as well as a Pi) - was because it came with a (known to work) WiFi adapter onboard. So, I knew that WiFi would work out-of-the-box (and it did!).

Anyway, I'm not trying to be snotty here (really!). I sympathize greatly with your troubles, as I've never been able to get an arbitrary (store bought, cheapie) WiFi device to work in Linux. As that great sage Rosanne Rosannadanna put it: It's always something...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

poing

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:As far as I can tell (and I could easily be wrong), you never stated what kind of Wifi device you were trying to get working with the Pi.
He posted the link in the OP. It's a no-name dongle advertised as compatible with the Pi.

Wheel_nut

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Welcome to this forum :)
1) You are using a WaaaaaaaaY down level version of Raspian Wheezy on your Preloaded Card. If you go to the Downloads tab on this site, you will see the latest version is dated 28 October 2012. This version has the drivers included for two of the most common chipsets found in WiFi Dongles. It also has a WiFi connect utility on the GUI which will connect you easily.

2) I am not sure of which Chipset your WiFi Dongle uses but if it uses either the Realtek RTL8188CUS or the Ralink-RT5370 Chipset, it should work out-of-the-box.

3) Your "Self Powered" hub is NOT what you need. This will draw ALL of its downstream connected devices' power through the RPi and will likely oveload the F3 Polyfuse. If you are going to use a Hub, you need a POWERED Hub and use it to "Backfeed" power to the RPi. There is plenty about this in other threads on this Forum.

poing

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Yes, missed that. For working hubs look here:
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... g_USB_Hubs

jojopi

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:Your "Self Powered" hub is NOT what you need.
A self-powered hub is the correct type. The wrong type is called bus-powered.

Wheel_nut

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Whatever! The spec says "Provides 4xUSB Ports up to 100mA per Port or 500mA per port using Power SupplySupports Windows 2000, XP & Vista"

... and ... the package list does not include a Power Supply so semantics aside, what I wrote is correct.

poing

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm

I didn't see it at first either, but a bit lower it says: "The hub comes with a UK Power Supply which enable the Hub to provide up to 500mA per USB port."
So I guess it's a powered hub, although if the 500mA is correct it's a bit low to power the Pi itself.

ahstwin

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Some people have had problems with no icons on the desktop. Probably best bet is to make sure you have the most up to date wheezy image on your card.

The dev team for wheezy have tried to make wifi setups as easy and user friendly as possible. The Wifi config program on the desktop should be able to facilitate that.

SiriusHardware

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 am

swissyellow wrote:I'm in bits here.

My daughter's in tears, I'm in bits ready to throw the thing in the bin! please help someone. where the heck do we start? the forums on the topic just turn us round and we're so confused.
Sorry to hear you are having such trouble, but you've now arrived in the right place.

The version of Raspbian you appear to have bought on that SD card is quite 'old' now. The newest version of Raspbian (October 2012 as I write this ) has much more friendly wifi support, including a windows-style wifi configuration utility on the desktop - it also has immediate built-in support for certain commonly available types of USB wifi dongle which were quite difficult to get working prior to an update in September. Your device may be one of those.

To update your current version of Raspian to the nicer, more wifi friendly version using a Windows computer and an SD card reader, go here

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

..and scroll down the screen to the paragraph headed

"Copying the image to an SD card on Windows"

This will guide you through the process of downloading '2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.zip'. Extract (unzip) it to a windows folder where you can remember where it is. (To unzip a file, just right-click on the .zip file wherever you saved it to and choose 'extract all' (or similar) from the box which opens). Put the SD card in the Windows machine's card reader. Follow the rest of the steps to download 'Win32diskimager', run it, and use it to locate, load and copy the new unzipped version of Raspbian (2012-10-28 wheezy-raspbian.img) to your SD card. (This takes a while - a few minutes at any rate).

Now, put the newly updated card back in the Pi, start it up and you will see the same sequence you saw the first time you powered up the Pi. Eventually you will arrive in the raspi-config utility where you can change parameters such as the type of keyboard you are using, the location you are in, and so on. Set or leave any of these settings as you wish for now, then exit from raspi-config. (You can run raspi-config again later, any time you want to).

You should arrive at the login prompt, where you will find that the username and password are still 'pi' and 'raspberry'.

After login, at the command line prompt, type 'startx' <enter>. After a few seconds you should see the LXDE desktop appear, and now you should see something new that you didn't have before: A wifi setup icon among those down the left hand side of the desktop screen. Double left-click on that and try setting up your wifi connection that way. It's reasonably straightforward and easy to understand, especially if you have used similar utilities on Windows.

See if that works, and whether it does or doesn't please report back. We will do our best to get you going.

With regard to your self-powered hub, that -IS-, technically the right sort of hub - ie, one which has its own power supply and does not draw power from the Pi. Current wisdom suggests that you should plug the wifi dongle into the hub, rather than directly into the Pi. That way, the wifi dongle draws power from the hub power supply, not from the Pi.

SiriusHardware

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 am

Wheel_nut wrote:Welcome to this forum :)
1) You are using a WaaaaaaaaY down level version of Raspian Wheezy on your Preloaded Card. If you go to the Downloads tab on this site, you will see the latest version is dated 28 October 2012. This version has the drivers included for two of the most common chipsets found in WiFi Dongles. It also has a WiFi connect utility on the GUI which will connect you easily.

2) I am not sure of which Chipset your WiFi Dongle uses but if it uses either the Realtek RTL8188CUS or the Ralink-RT5370 Chipset, it should work out-of-the-box.

3) Your "Self Powered" hub is NOT what you need. This will draw ALL of its downstream connected devices' power through the RPi and will likely oveload the F3 Polyfuse. If you are going to use a Hub, you need a POWERED Hub and use it to "Backfeed" power to the RPi. There is plenty about this in other threads on this Forum.
On point three: The link to the info about the hub in the original post clearly states that it comes with its own power supply, and IS therefore the correct type.

Wheel_nut

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:36 am

SiriusHardware, Well done on the helpful instructions.

All, I stand corrected that the Hub DOES include a perfectly adequate Power Supply which can backfeed the RPi.

SwissYellow, If you are still having problems creating an SD Card with the latest Image, PM me and I will post you one. We can't have your daughter in tears over Christmas. :ugeek:

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks very much for being so helpful, folks.

OP: I'll echo what everyone else is saying and say you really need to download the latest version of Raspbian; what you've got is pretty ancient and is almost certainly what's causing the problems. Thanks for bringing this to my attention on Twitter - I hope you get it sorted soon!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

swissyellow

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks everyone, I'll download the new version of the software tomorrow or Weds, shame this stuff is being sold on Amazon as suitable out of the box compatible but isn't.

You've all been very helpful :-)

pluggy

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 pm

swissyellow wrote:

Hazarding a guess, overscan issues ?. It's supposedly the latest image. And it will have the Wifi setup on the desktop if it is. Do you have the taskbar at the bottom of the screen ? That's been in Rasbian since day one.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm

pluggy wrote:
swissyellow wrote:

Hazarding a guess, overscan issues ?. It's supposedly the latest image. And it will have the Wifi setup on the desktop if it is. Do you have the taskbar at the bottom of the screen ? That's been in Rasbian since day one.
Hmm, Overscan, that's what I was thinking - I wonder if the icons are there but off the edge. Might be worth trying a few picture settings options on the TV to see if they appear, them sort the config out later to get the Raspi to do it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Beginners”