castalla

Rpi-update

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:59 am

Can somebody explain when and why it's appropriate to run rpi-update?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Rpi-update

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 pm

rpi-update gets you the latest experimental firmware. It is usually fine, but occasionally may have regressions.
You should run rpi-update regularly if you want to help with testing, and are happy to encounter bugs and submit bug reports.
You might want want to run rpi-udpate if you are having a specific issue that a forum post, or commit messages on guithub suggests has been recently fixed.

The changes from rpi-updates will appear with an apt-get update eventually, if there are no reports of regressions from the rpi-update testers. Most users should just use this.

Montala

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks 'dom' but could I just clarify one point please... if I run rpi-update, is there any point in 'running' apt-get update and apt-get upgrade afterwards, or will rpi-upgrade already have downloaded and installed all the latest updates etc for me?

Thanks! :)

dom

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Montala wrote:Thanks 'dom' but could I just clarify one point please... if I run rpi-update, is there any point in 'running' apt-get update and apt-get upgrade afterwards, or will rpi-upgrade already have downloaded and installed all the latest updates etc for me?

Thanks! :)
"apt-get upgrade" is a standard linux command that updates your debian distribution. So if there are bug fixes in software packages that have been installed with "apt-get install" (or any of the initially installed packages), this will update them.
rpi-update only updates the raspberry pi specific files ("the firmware", or files in /boot, /opt/vc, and /lib/modules).

So if you want the very latest of everything, you run both rpi-update and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

Montala

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Thank you for such a prompt and helpful reply.

I had in fact being doing exactly that, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't duplicating anything.

castalla

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Very useful - thanks.

ComputerJock

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 am

dom wrote:rpi-update gets you the latest experimental firmware. It is usually fine, but occasionally may have regressions.
You should run rpi-update regularly if you want to help with testing, and are happy to encounter bugs and submit bug reports.
You might want want to run rpi-udpate if you are having a specific issue that a forum post, or commit messages on guithub suggests has been recently fixed.

The changes from rpi-updates will appear with an apt-get update eventually, if there are no reports of regressions from the rpi-update testers. Most users should just use this.

I've just done the rpi-update and have sound issues. aplay will no longer play sound -- or at least I can't hear it. amixer/alsamixer terminate with errors. hello_audio does work tho.

So, for a complete beginner, where should this error be reported. You mentioned "gethub". Can you provide a url? Thank you.

ComputerJock

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:26 am

ComputerJock wrote: I've just done the rpi-update and have sound issues. aplay will no longer play sound -- or at least I can't hear it. amixer/alsamixer terminate with errors. hello_audio does work tho.

So, for a complete beginner, where should this error be reported. You mentioned "gethub". Can you provide a url? Thank you.
Update: Very sorry... False alarm... I finally figured out that I had to do alsamixer -c 0 and I discovered that it was set to mute after my rpi-update. Apologies to all.

KingToAD

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 pm

hi, I'm new to all this but I have the original raspbian image on my sd card. By using the update and upgrade commands will this update it to the new image (july's one) or do i need to format the sd card and start again?

Return to “Beginners”