Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi

234 posts   Page 5 of 10   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10
by abishur » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:53 pm
Which brings us full circle to my much less confusing to a newbie (and less blog length statement)

"Depends on the converter. The one you posted *looks* like a passive device which would only work provided the PS/2 keyboard had the logic to run as a usb device. You'd need an active converter to use the PS/2 to USB devices."
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by akvenugopal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:24 pm
abishur wrote:It's a guide for absolute beginners  I'm trying to keep things simple here   Besides, a 5.1V PSU is also going to have some margin of error and you get a board that goes enough into the negative and a PSU that goes enough into the positive and you have a Pi that won't work.  But, by telling people to stick with exactly 5V because A) I relieve liability for legal recourse should someone burn their Pi because they got a 5.25V PSU and it output a little more than the advertised voltage and B) 5v is what it's designed for, it would be silly of me to tell people to be okay with using something else

Wiki says USB voltage is 5.00 +/- 0.25 volts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus
by abishur » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm
akvenugopal wrote:
abishur wrote:It's a guide for absolute beginners  I'm trying to keep things simple here   Besides, a 5.1V PSU is also going to have some margin of error and you get a board that goes enough into the negative and a PSU that goes enough into the positive and you have a Pi that won't work.  But, by telling people to stick with exactly 5V because A) I relieve liability for legal recourse should someone burn their Pi because they got a 5.25V PSU and it output a little more than the advertised voltage and B) 5v is what it's designed for, it would be silly of me to tell people to be okay with using something else

Wiki says USB voltage is 5.00 +/- 0.25 volts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Please read the quote that you quoting me saying. ;-) We will forever and always recommend an exact 5V PSU as we want to do our best to avoid situations where your PSU is on the plus side of things and your board is on the negative side of things and the net result is a dead board. Plus depending on the quality of the power in your area and the quality of your PSU, your 5.25 PSU might come out quite a bit higher than 5.25V. Ergo, despite the official USB specs saying they can take up to +0.25 beyond 5v, this guide will stick with a firm 5v recommendation :-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by yousifsaadany » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:25 am
could you please tell me the ports that i can assign input or output also the analog to digital converter ports and where they are physically on the board
by abishur » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:55 am
yousifsaadany wrote:could you please tell me the ports that i can assign input or output also the analog to digital converter ports and where they are physically on the board

That is an excellent question for basic setup/usage or perhaps under the automation forum. This is just the bare bones instructions for getting it set up ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Uluruism » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 pm
Hi 2 weeks in to using my 'PI' and it's bringing back fond memories of playing with my ZXspectrum48k

I bought my Pi from maplin and was very happy with it!, till last week when, during me messing with the settings I stopped it from being able to boot Doh!

So after buying a preloaded sd card i ended up trying all the different ways of downloading raspbian wheezy onto my sd card!!!!

What a nightmare for a beginner!
Eventually I sussed it!!

My newbie Start up suggestion is, as follows;(I hope this helps if like me you have been struggling)

Buy at Least a 16GB SD Card
Download latest 'Wheezy' .raspberrypi.org/downloads

Then follow the best instructions i found @ //myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot.co.uk/p/using-dd-for-windows.html !!!!!!!!!But be very carefull!!!!!!!!
And thankyou 'Atom'? i am back up and running after following the //elinux.org/images/f/f9/Trinity_RPi_Specification.pdfi downloaded from //elinux.org/RPi_Trinity_Computer_Club

and am now teaching myself basic python thanks to the great themagpi.com

This i found gave me the smoothest install and it works with any iso, so you can choose.
I prefered this method as it was like my first preloaded card from maplin!

Good luck and enjoy
Ayres
by anta40 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 pm
I just wrote Raspbian to my SD card and want to give it a try.
The problem is I don't have USB keyboard at the moment.

I wonder if I could connect the Raspberry Pi to my laptop via USB/ethernet, and then manage it using putty. Anyone?
by abishur » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:56 am
anta40 wrote:I just wrote Raspbian to my SD card and want to give it a try.
The problem is I don't have USB keyboard at the moment.

I wonder if I could connect the Raspberry Pi to my laptop via USB/ethernet, and then manage it using putty. Anyone?

yep ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by anta40 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:29 pm
Hi abishur,

Pardon my ignorance. I already connected the Pi to my laptop via ethernet cable.

Now how could I access it via SSH/putty, because I don't know its IP address :?
BTW, the LEDs show rainbow colors, so I assume it booted properly.
by abishur » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:39 pm
hmm... one option is to load your SD card into a linux computer and edit /etc/network/interfaces and assign a static IP, the other is to turn on internet sharing on your laptop so your laptop will assign an IP address, otherwise your pi will randomly get a private IP address.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by anta40 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 am
Hi abishur,

As you suggested, I bridged the internet connection. Then I tried to find the Pi's IP address, using Angry IP Scanner. It didn't show up on the list. Maybe dhcpd is not enabled by default?
by abishur » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:24 am
anta40 wrote:Hi abishur,

As you suggested, I bridged the internet connection. Then I tried to find the Pi's IP address, using Angry IP Scanner. It didn't show up on the list. Maybe dhcpd is not enabled by default?

No DHCP is enabled by default, there are some threads discussing in detail how to get it set up so finding one of those would give more detailed info on how to get it set up, I'd do a site search with google ("site:raspberrypi.org <your search here>") to find them, or just start a new thread in general discussion for additional help :-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by sukhoi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:39 pm
I have a Sony Ericsson charger output 5v 850mA. I hope that will work with a rpi model b 512MB.
by caandrew425 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:09 am
I am trying to use the Motorola Atrix dock as was shown in the Adafruit video on Youtube. I am having a very difficult time finding female micro USB & female micro HDMI adapters. Can anyone point me to a source for these?
by itimpi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 pm
I have seen them on eBay and Amazon. Getting them of eBay means longer delivery times as they come from China /Hong Kong but normally better prices. I got mine from eBay as I was prepared to wait, although I came very close to buying them from Amazon to avoid the 3-4 weeks wait for delivery via eBay
by caandrew425 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm
Thanks, I will check Ebay.
by as1mov » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 pm
Regarding entering and exiting the GUI, My Pi boots straight into the GUI, how can I enter the text or how do I get to the 'command line' from the GUI to add or alter the lines of text that all you clever young ones are bandying about.
As you've probably guessed, I' an old fart of 65, quite literate in IT but Ive never seen anything like this little wonder before!
I've ordered a complete beginners book on the 'Pi' but I'm keen to get started on adding projects and such.
Please be gentle I'm really fragile.

TC
by thivtulz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 am
It's really helpful dude..cheers.. :) :) :) 8-) 8-) ..
by advanced » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:57 pm
Thanks, that was useful!
by iridium2177 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:58 pm
Well, I have just set up my Pi and I have a problem :(

I've downloaded Raspbian and used Win32DiskImager to write the OS to a 8gb class 4 SD card. However, when I start the Pi I'm met with the brief rainbow screen, then the Pi logo & a cursor that blinks twice - but that's it, it just sits there and goes no further :(

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be please?

Thanks for your help.
by martinmarinov » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 am
Thanks, very useful! :)
by iridium2177 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 pm
iridium2177 wrote:Well, I have just set up my Pi and I have a problem :(

I've downloaded Raspbian and used Win32DiskImager to write the OS to a 8gb class 4 SD card. However, when I start the Pi I'm met with the brief rainbow screen, then the Pi logo & a cursor that blinks twice - but that's it, it just sits there and goes no further :(

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be please?

Thanks for your help.

Never mind, I've sorted it out myself. Many thanks for the inundation of helpful replies.
by nick789uk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 pm
Hi Folks I am new to the forum and also new to pi I have set everything up all working ok got internet access, and I know this is a really stupid question but what do I do know I do not have a clue of what to do any help will be most greatfull thanks.
Nick
by Senex » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm
Hi!
For anyone else like me who is a complete newbie to all things pi, linux or finding their way to support when they need it.

I had the following issue once I got my Pi powered up: All the little status LEDs are doing what they should but nothing on the screen, Nada!

(I am using an HDMI to DVI cable and an old Viewsonic monitor)

So I tried other options to see what my Pi was doing like connecting the RGB output to my TV: Nada!

Back to the Pi and this time only plugged in the HDMI lead at first. Success! I get to the login prompt.

Plugged in the keyboard and logged in.

That took me into raspi-config. (Where's the simple beginner's guide when you need it around here?)

Found a useful post on how to set the Pi up here:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/04/raspberry-pi-getting-started-guide-how-to/

Finally I got a working Pi, but one that needs careful connection at power up time.

So I updated my OS and firmware by issuing the following command (as on the packet):

"sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade"

This is a cup of coffee exercise unless you like watching scrolling text.

Now my Pi reboots normally without plugging and unplugging cables. Sorted!

startx and launch the GUI. At last, something to show the memh sahib!

Next: set up a test account and teach myself Linux by following the tutorials in the Debian guide.
by krystal92586 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 am
I am 11 years old and got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. My dad and my uncle have been helping me learn how to use it. I started a blog talking about all of the things I've learned so far. Check it out at http://raspberrypikid.wordpress.com I wish I'd found this forum a long time ago. Some of the things I learned the hard way are here already (like startx and sudo shutdown).

Krystal (typed by her dad)