bitplane

Forum: Please underline links

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Links are practically invisible on the forum because they are not decorated. Can we fix that with a traditional underline please?

Edit: actually it's the difference between ███ and ███, which is really difficult to see on my monitor.

kadamski

Re: Forum: Please underline links

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:09 pm

This issue is discussed in many threads, mostly in "forum glitches" where I think this post belong to. I hope it will be fixed soon but for a workaround you can check my post:
viewtopic.php?p=108986#p108986
At the end you will find some code for stylish extension. It is working for Firefox, Chromium and Midori (after enabling user addons), which I use on RPi.

azureblue

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 pm

People are potentially missing out on useful information because of this. For example, when somebody takes the time to embed a link in the middle of an informative sentence, it's only by hovering the mouse over every word that the link can be found, as show here:

It was only because 'jecxjo' mentioned the mailing list that I discovered the word 'discussions' is actually a link. Not obvious, is it?

It is a one line CSS edit to fix. Specifically, bootstrap-raspi.css is causing the problem. Line 124 to change the colour, or 125 to restore the underlining. It shouldn't require visitors to install client-side CSS rules or JavaScript hacks.

AndrewS

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Mortimer

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Solution:
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Global Settings > My Board Style > Prosilver

I think THIS LINK should take you to the correct control panel page.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

azureblue

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Mortimer wrote:Solution:
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Global Settings > My Board Style > Prosilver

I think THIS LINK should take you to the correct control panel page.
That's a valid workaround. It looks like somebody spent quite a bit of time on 'raspite' - it's a shame such a minor detail spoils its usability to such a degree.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:22 pm

The workaround is very simple, just underline your link like this:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

azureblue

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:14 pm

mahjongg wrote:The workaround is very simple, just underline your link like this:

Code: Select all

[u][url]http://www.raspberrypi.org/[/url][/u]
As long as everyone that embeds links knows that they always need to do that, even if they personally use a theme for which it isn't required.
Alternatively, a one-line CSS tweak could fix the problem for everybody.

gritz

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Enforcing a workaround or hack upon all users is a pretty inefficient substitute for a fix at source, but it is a very "open source" way of doing things. :x

Raspite is the default theme and these issues have been reported for months.

scep

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:19 am

We know that it is a problem and an annoyance :? It will be fixed in the near future, please bear with us!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 am

I know that my trick isn't a general solution, just a temporary fix for people who want to make sure people know where their link is hidden, especially if its embedded in the middle of a sentence, like I have often seen.
I also knew that behind the scenes we are working on a better solution, like scep said.

flightvision

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 am

I am also strongly supporting this. Nice to hear that you are already working on it.

Swen

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:33 pm

scep wrote:We know that it is a problem and an annoyance :? It will be fixed in the near future, please bear with us!
Gief Admin Rights .... ;)
Just Kidding - please fix, it's really annoying ... :cry:
Ich hab keine Ahnung - Ich kann nur gut mit Google umgehen ;)

jethrogb

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 pm

I second this. Not sure what "near future" means in your book, scep, but it's been three months ;)

abishur

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:42 pm

jethrogb wrote:I second this. Not sure what "near future" means in your book, scep, but it's been three months ;)
Yeah, it's always hard getting the people with the passwords to connect with the people with the know how. It is not forgotten I promise!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

GrayHatter

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 pm

abishur wrote:
jethrogb wrote:I second this. Not sure what "near future" means in your book, scep, but it's been three months ;)
Yeah, it's always hard getting the people with the passwords to connect with the people with the know how. It is not forgotten I promise!
Wait, shouldn't the people with the know how be the ones with the passwords?!

bantu

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 pm

abishur wrote:
Maybe you should just fork phpBB on Github and allow community members to send pull requests for improvements.

scep

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 am

Sorry about the ongoing wrinkles that need ironing out here: they are on the web team's todo list but there are other priorities at the moment. A lot of the stuff that goes on round here is pro bono, so gets done when it can be fitted in. I don't have access to the web server myself, but I've passed on everyone's comments to the team.

In the meantime all I can do is apologise for the annoyances and ask people to be patient! Prosilver theme is there if you need it in the interim...

malakai

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:33 am

I'll help I have ran phpbb quit a bit in the past but found it to be too open and as such vulnerable.

But in either case change the default theme to be prosilver then let people like me just revert back to what I like :)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

RaTTuS

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 am

malakai wrote: prosilver then let people like me just revert back to what I like :)
prosilver yes
highlighted the bad bit
you cannot revert back
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

malakai

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 am

RaTTuS wrote:
malakai wrote: prosilver then let people like me just revert back to what I like :)
prosilver yes
highlighted the bad bit
you cannot revert back
Not sure if your saying the raspite theme is that bad you don't want it or misunderstood my post.

If they set the default to prosilver everyone that joins will have it by default. You can when changing it also force all users to use prosilver this won't delete raspite just force people to change to it the same way we change to prosilver.

http://www.artodia.com/images/tutorials ... stall2.png

ACP->general tab->board settings->Override user style: set to yes

They may have to manually choose registered users and do the same not sure if everyone would like being ported over but the first option for new registrations would help a bit as raspite isn't quite modified 100%
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

scep

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Raspite is the default with Prosilver as an alternative. There are no plans to change this.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm

scep wrote:Raspite is the default with Prosilver as an alternative. There are no plans to change this.
Of course. Everyone knows this to be true.

The question is: What is the meaning (inflection) of the (above quoted) comment?

Does it mean:

1) There are no plans to change it - and you da** well better like it like that!
or
2) Unfortunately, we just haven't gotten around to fixing it (or even scheduling a fix). Resources are tight (as they always are).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Unknown Bliss

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

malakai wrote:I'll help I have ran phpbb quit a bit in the past but found it to be too open and as such vulnerable.

But in either case change the default theme to be prosilver then let people like me just revert back to what I like :)
phpBB 3 actually has never had a major security vulnerability and has only had a few minor vulnerabilities ever. You can view the security record here – http://secunia.com/advisories/product/17998/

This is much better quality than some other bulletin board software (including some which are commercial and as such you'd think would have the money for security auditing):
  • vBulletin (Mostly considered to be the biggest commerical competitor of phpBB) Just 4.x which is a lot younger than phpBB 3.x
  • IPB
  • MyBB (Mostly considered as the biggest competitor of phpBB with a staggering 53 security advisories)
phpBB 3 has several strict requirements for code. All code is extensively reviewed and audited by numerous developers before being added to the core, even if the code is by a development team member. There was also an external security audit done for phpBB 3 which revaled no vulnerablities but several improvements.

phpBB 2 did have a bad security record but steps have been taken to prevent this (QA, code review process, security audits). phpBB3 is an almost complete re-write of phpBB 2 and it was written with security in mind.
scep wrote:Sorry about the ongoing wrinkles that need ironing out here: they are on the web team's todo list but there are other priorities at the moment. A lot of the stuff that goes on round here is pro bono, so gets done when it can be fitted in. I don't have access to the web server myself, but I've passed on everyone's comments to the team.

In the meantime all I can do is apologise for the annoyances and ask people to be patient! Prosilver theme is there if you need it in the interim...
Might I ask why you don't implement the suggestion by bantu?
bantu wrote:
abishur wrote:
Maybe you should just fork phpBB on Github and allow community members to send pull requests for improvements.
Unknown Bliss
phpBB.com Offical Website Team Member

scep

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
scep wrote:Raspite is the default with Prosilver as an alternative. There are no plans to change this.
Of course. Everyone knows this to be true.

The question is: What is the meaning (inflection) of the (above quoted) comment?

Does it mean:

1) There are no plans to change it - and you da** well better like it like that!
or
2) Unfortunately, we just haven't gotten around to fixing it (or even scheduling a fix). Resources are tight (as they always are).
I don't speak for the Foundation, but it's seems pretty clear that they have chosen to design and implement a bespoke style. This took time and effort and was done for a reason, so the inflection is (probably) 1) with a smattering of 2) ;) It doesn't take any effort to switch to Prosilver if you want.

@bantu and Unkown Bliss : the Github idea is sound, but it would create another responsibility - maintaining the fork, reviewing the pull requests and merging them as needed etc (and maybe loads of people beetling you because you haven't pulled their changes :D). And we all have too many responsibilities right now.

Now, as this topic has taken up more of my time than it would have taken me to jump into the php code and change the hyperlink style then I must bow out ;) . I've passed on all of your comments to the Foundation.

Return to “General discussion”