hailstorm

Raspberry PI Made in China vs Made in UK

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi all

First I must say that my post is not against any of the re-sellers of the product, but is my personal experience with this devices.

I have purchased 2 Raspberry Pi.
The 1st from Farnell Element 14 and has a "Made in UK" label on it.
The 2nd from RS Online, and has "Made in China".

Without surprise, the quality is somewhat different from one another.

While the UK version runs very well, and I tried several of the images available, the China version crashes (turns off) after a few minutes of usage.

The system info does not report any significant increase in temperature, but I suspect it is related to it, since if I let it cool down, it takes longer to crash.

I just asked RS for a return or a refund.

I'm really happy with the UK version, but I'm really disappointed with my second Raspberry Pi, from China.

Does anyone had similar experiences?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated
Attachments
IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0204.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 33726 times

kalehrl

Re: Raspberry PI Made in China vs Made in UK

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 pm

You were unlucky.
You got a raspi from a bad batch:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... powered+up

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 pm

kalehrl wrote:You were unlucky.
There is no proof that the so called "batch code" really is a batch code, and not some random label, so there is no proof there really is such a thing as a "bad batch" from RS!

For all we know all recent PI's from RS have exactly the same label, and within these some random failures occur. As happens in any production.

toxibunny

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 pm

My Pi from RS has had no problems whatsoever...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:41 pm

I think RS are making at least 10k per week in China - some are going to have faults undetected at the factory. Sometimes, you will just be the unlucky person who gets a bad one. If we start to see problems in a pattern though, it should be spotted, and should be fixed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

hailstorm

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 pm

After reading that post I can confirm that my device has the behaviour mentioned there
"A red PWR light stays on but the screen goes blank."
"...the power is lost."
"They would power up, then crash after anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes."

This is really bad :(

jamesh

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:17 pm

hailstorm wrote:
After reading that post I can confirm that my device has the behaviour mentioned there
"A red PWR light stays on but the screen goes blank."
"...the power is lost."
"They would power up, then crash after anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes."

This is really bad :(
What is really bad? That you have a 'defective' one? Or that a few people out of many thousands have defective ones - please note that the current failure/return rate, I believe, (So' I've heard, could be wrong) is below the industry average, which is actually 'really good'.

Would be useful to get to the bottom of why a few are showing this symptom. Not sure if any have made it back to the Foundation for diagnosis yet.

paultnl

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 pm

I have one of each and havent noticed any difference in quality
I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 am

toxibunny wrote:My Pi from RS has had no problems whatsoever...
And what is the code on the white label on the bottom, near the SD-card?
It could be useful to know this to falsify the "if it has this code its from a bad batch" meme.

hailstorm

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 am

mahjongg wrote:
It could be useful to know this to falsify the "if it has this code its from a bad batch" meme.
Mine is E4612RS2V13B1.0

sim_tcr

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:41 pm

I have two Pis. One is made in UK and another one China. Both are Model B and both are from Farnell/Element14. I don't see any performance difference in both. Infact i am posting this from China made Pi.
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

hailstorm wrote:
mahjongg wrote:
Mine is E4612RS2V13B1.0
Hm, then it starts to look like that 4612 means week 46, 2012, and that means that most of the problematic RS PI's were from week 39 (E3912RS....) . Perhaps there is something to it anyway.
Still I am hard pressed to believe that all the PI's from week 39 are bad, (tens of thousands) it could be as few as just one plate of six PI's that had an accident while the solder was setting. But perhaps its wise that if you have regular resets and your power supply is solid and you have one from week 39, 2012 from RS you could consider that its a production problem. But I wouldn't want anyone to start sending them back just because the label starts with E3912RS.. That's all.

LonesomeCoder

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi hailstorm,

I have exactly the same situation here:
1 Pi ordered at RS (Made in China)
1 Pi ordered at Farnell (Made in U.K.)

Both are 512MB RAM versions. The one from RS arrived Nov-27-2012.
The one made in UK works... the other one, which I had to wait for more than 4 months,
freezes whithin a three minute timeframe from power-on (From 10 secs to ~3 minutes)!

I tested this using exactly the same environment (SD-Card, power supply, etc) for both.

I am sure that this is a hardware defect.
I want to get my money back.
Could You please give me a hint concerning the necessary steps I have to take?
I live in Germany, so just sending it back to RS is not so easy, and expensive...

Thanks,

Stefan
hailstorm wrote:Hi all

First I must say that my post is not against any of the re-sellers of the product, but is my personal experience with this devices.

I have purchased 2 Raspberry Pi.
The 1st from Farnell Element 14 and has a "Made in UK" label on it.
The 2nd from RS Online, and has "Made in China".

Without surprise, the quality is somewhat different from one another.

While the UK version runs very well, and I tried several of the images available, the China version crashes (turns off) after a few minutes of usage.

The system info does not report any significant increase in temperature, but I suspect it is related to it, since if I let it cool down, it takes longer to crash.

I just asked RS for a return or a refund.

I'm really happy with the UK version, but I'm really disappointed with my second Raspberry Pi, from China.

hailstorm

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi LonesomeCoder

I contacted RSOnline and they asked me to send the device back to them with a filled form in this link http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/stat ... turns.aspx

I then asked if I'm supposed to send it by regular mail, or if they have an UPS account for it, but I got no response yet.

I had one issue previously with Farnell but they made the pickup of the defective item from their UPS account. It looks like RS won't be doing that. It's a pity...

I've read a lot of comment around, and apparently there is a very low rate of people having problems... we were the ones unlucky enough to be in that short list :) Better luck next time

Regards
LonesomeCoder wrote:Hi hailstorm,

I have exactly the same situation here:
1 Pi ordered at RS (Made in China)
1 Pi ordered at Farnell (Made in U.K.)

Both are 512MB RAM versions. The one from RS arrived Nov-27-2012.
The one made in UK works... the other one, which I had to wait for more than 4 months,
freezes whithin a three minute timeframe from power-on (From 10 secs to ~3 minutes)!

I tested this using exactly the same environment (SD-Card, power supply, etc) for both.

I am sure that this is a hardware defect.
I want to get my money back.
Could You please give me a hint concerning the necessary steps I have to take?
I live in Germany, so just sending it back to RS is not so easy, and expensive...

Thanks,

Stefan

pygmy_giant

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 pm

The only way to truely settle this vs match is to hang each from a string tied to the tv out and play conkers with them.

Seriously though, I want to buy a second Pi (if I haven't declared myself bankrupt by January) and am scared to order from RS bcause of all the bad press about waiting and manufacturing defects - am I over reacting?

jamesh

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:The only way to truely settle this vs match is to hang each from a string tied to the tv out and play conkers with them.

Seriously though, I want to buy a second Pi (if I haven't declared myself bankrupt by January) and am scared to order from RS bcause of all the bad press about waiting and manufacturing defects - am I over reacting?
RS are not the only supplier....

Lob0426

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Farnell is also getting RasPi's from china right now. I received three from them recently. All had the made in china sticker over the made in UK print. They had solder in 19 holes that should not have been there. I fixed them.

When the new demand caused by the 512MB let's up, maybe we will see more of the made in UK show. Also maybe the quality will go back up. The demand has definitely had an effect on quality.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

EastLight

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:48 pm

The 'Made in UK' Pi has a slightly larger flange on its USB sockets - they appear to have sourced the part from a different manufacturer.
Unfortunately, this means that the UK-built Pi does not fit into some of the Raspberry Pi cases currently on the market, so if you want to use a case, go for the Chinese version.

Penthux

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 am

hailstorm wrote:I'm really happy with the UK version, but I'm really disappointed with my second Raspberry Pi, from China.

I have found through much experience, time, and trial and effort over the past 12 months that the UK manufactured RPi is superior to the Chinese version. I found, the same as you did, that the system wouldn't boot at all, or hang while booting, or would crash during operation on the Chinese version for no reason. On rebooting it would work flawlessly once again until the next occurrence. I tried several operating systems to see if that changed anything but it made no difference.

However, the UK version works perfectly and is perpetually stable and reliable. I've never had any problems at all with the UK version. I would have thought that being the exact same design, and using the same components, wouldn't make that much difference where it was put together. Alas, it seems that the small differences in components and manufacturing techniques make all the difference between a "quality" and "generally acceptable" product. The UK version is quality. The Chinese version is generally acceptable although it does have some annoying faults on occasion.
Penthux
------------
Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi - SARPi
http://sarpi.co.uk
"Slackware ARM - it's not for NOOBS!"

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 am

please don't bunp old posts...

I've not had any issues with
a) my original china RPi's
b) my UK build RPi's
c) my red imported china RPi
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Joe Schmoe

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 am

please don't bunp old posts...
Why not???

I've seen this comment from time-to-time; people respond to an old post and other people get hyped up about it. I've never understood why? Does this practice cause pain for people with bad/old newsreaders?

Anyway, it seems fine to me. I see no reason not to do it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:16 am

Penthux wrote:
hailstorm wrote:I'm really happy with the UK version, but I'm really disappointed with my second Raspberry Pi, from China.

I have found through much experience, time, and trial and effort over the past 12 months that the UK manufactured RPi is superior to the Chinese version. I found, the same as you did, that the system wouldn't boot at all, or hang while booting, or would crash during operation on the Chinese version for no reason. On rebooting it would work flawlessly once again until the next occurrence. I tried several operating systems to see if that changed anything but it made no difference.

However, the UK version works perfectly and is perpetually stable and reliable. I've never had any problems at all with the UK version. I would have thought that being the exact same design, and using the same components, wouldn't make that much difference where it was put together. Alas, it seems that the small differences in components and manufacturing techniques make all the difference between a "quality" and "generally acceptable" product. The UK version is quality. The Chinese version is generally acceptable although it does have some annoying faults on occasion.
Please note that all Raspi are now manufactured in the UK, except for those specifically destined for the Far East market that are made by Egoman in China. These use RED PCB's. They have been made in the UK for some time, so I would not expect anyone to received a Chinese made Raspi.

Heater

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 am

I don't see anything wrong with bumping old threads.

If someone had a problem that went unanswered they may not be interested in the solution two years later, but then perhaps someone else is. Perhaps new solutions have been created or discovered.

If someone made an incorrect statement years ago perhaps it's better if it is countered now than let it be there, wrong for all time, ready to mislead others who find it.

And so on.

In this case it's a bit pointless. I have two early Pis from China. They occasionally have issues. Less so now a days. Perhaps because the OS and firmware have improved, perhaps because I now use different SD cards. Perhaps because I shorted out the poly fuses or used a different wall wart. Point is I don't have issues with my China made Pi that I have not seen many others reporting with their newer UK Pi's.

All in all it's inconclusive as to the relative quality of manufacture and resulting reliability.

thradtke

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:11 pm

It's probably to a lesser degree a UK / CN problem. There were discussions about bad RS models before the shift to the UK. I have myself one Farnell and one RS Pi (Rev. 1), both made in China. The Farnell Pi was and is quite stable. The RS model never was and now doesn't even boot anymore. IIRC, there's a quality RAM chip (Samsung) on the Farnell board and a Hynix something chip on the RS board.
Rocket Scientist.

SteveSpencer

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:47 pm

All seven of mine are CN ones (mostly from RS), and with the exception of a dodgy SD slot on one of them (which I have since replaced), they are all OK. I use a variety of power adapters with them, and two of them have been running 24/7 for around 3 months with no issues.

I was disappointed that the last pair I got from RS were CN not UK, but that, I guess, was because they still held some CN stock.
Aside from the colour of the connectors, I don't expect any differences, although I accept that there may be some, just as in any batch-produced item, there may be some variances at the component level (cf the USB connector not fitting in some cases).
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

Return to “General discussion”