turksheadsw
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Allied has 15,000 backorders

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 pm

I just got off the phone (4:30PM EST on Nov 7, 2012) and was informed that they have "over 15,000 on backorder", that they are unable to provide any kind of lead time or indication of when this will be delivered. He said "maybe december", but back in August he said "maybe october".

If there are really that many units back ordered, why doesn't Raspberry Pi come out and say something on their homepage or warn people? Why not add capacity where there is clearly demand?

Anyhow, you should be forewarned that they are completely behind.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14574
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Actually...*Allied* should have an estimated delivery time on *their* web page.

sdjf
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am
Location: California
Contact: Website

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for the information. If they can generate those statistics, someone there also should be able to guestimate which orders will be filled from their current stock (if any) as well as when they get their next shipment of Pis in. I think they get their Pis from RS, their parent company as I understand it.

If you read the current posts in the pinned thread RS & Allied Update thread, you will see that Mike@RS says they will be posting an updated RS shipping schedule later this week. Since Vic@RS said at the start of that thread, that they would work on and soon be providing a shipping schedule for Allied Customers as well, I am hoping that will happen at the same time.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 29#p210329

What I am wondering about, as well, is whether they have shipped all the Rev 1 boards, given someone else posting a message that they were told that all August orders are getting shipped Rev 1. boards. If there is no stock at Allied, and if that information for that August customer is true, that would mean that they are still manufacturing with Rev1 boards, or that RS is sitting on more Rev1 boards they have not yet dumped on Allied. I hope whoever told him that was talking through their hat and did not know.

The inconcsistent information is a bit crazy making. I hope they come through with some helpful facts when they post their next update at the end of the week.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

turksheadsw
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 pm

sdjf wrote:Thanks for the information. If they can generate those statistics, someone there also should be able to guestimate which orders will be filled from their current stock (if any) as well as when they get their next shipment of Pis in. I think they get their Pis from RS, their parent company as I understand it.
Apparently the problem is that the can't figure out when their next shipment will be. The gentleman I spoke with said that they did not have that information and had not been able to get it.
sdjf wrote:What I am wondering about, as well, is whether they have shipped all the Rev 1 boards, given someone else posting a message that they were told that all August orders are getting shipped Rev 1. boards. If there is no stock at Allied, and if that information for that August customer is true, that would mean that they are still manufacturing with Rev1 boards, or that RS is sitting on more Rev1 boards they have not yet dumped on Allied. I hope whoever told him that was talking through their hat and did not know.
The gentleman I spoke with said they were anticipating shipping Rev2 boards. However, that could be complete BS he was feeding me to keep me from canceling my order.

turksheadsw
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Actually...*Allied* should have an estimated delivery time on *their* web page.
I agree. However, Raspberry Pi is sending people to order from these companies. If those companies aren't doing the job of fulfilling, it makes Raspberry Pi look bad.

My whole enthusiasm for the Pi is wasted because I haven't been able to procure one.

From what I can tell, this is either an issue the foundation doesn't recognize or doesn't care about. I find that hard to believe, so it'd be nice if they provided some information and gave some indication as to what they are trying to do to solve the issue.

At the very least, providing potential paying customers with an indication as to where they can actually acquire the product would be helpful. If Allied (or any other partner) is so backed up that it takes more than 6 months to receive an order, something should be said somewhere or the link to that provider should be removed.

"It's not our fault" is a pretty lame excuse.

I'm glad I only tried to by two and not more. Which is unfortunate, because I was planning on buying a bunch more. At this point, I'm looking at alternatives. I can't imagine I'm alone in that, and if that's the case, how does that help Raspberry Pi in the long run?

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10774
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
Contact: Twitter YouTube

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Mike@RS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi - all Allied orders outstanding will be fulfillled between now and mid-December. I'll ask the team to get a shipping update from Allied we can share in the next couple of weeks.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 28362
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Allied has 15,000 backorders

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm

turksheadsw wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Actually...*Allied* should have an estimated delivery time on *their* web page.
I agree. However, Raspberry Pi is sending people to order from these companies. If those companies aren't doing the job of fulfilling, it makes Raspberry Pi look bad.

My whole enthusiasm for the Pi is wasted because I haven't been able to procure one.

From what I can tell, this is either an issue the foundation doesn't recognize or doesn't care about. I find that hard to believe, so it'd be nice if they provided some information and gave some indication as to what they are trying to do to solve the issue.

At the very least, providing potential paying customers with an indication as to where they can actually acquire the product would be helpful. If Allied (or any other partner) is so backed up that it takes more than 6 months to receive an order, something should be said somewhere or the link to that provider should be removed.

"It's not our fault" is a pretty lame excuse.

I'm glad I only tried to by two and not more. Which is unfortunate, because I was planning on buying a bunch more. At this point, I'm looking at alternatives. I can't imagine I'm alone in that, and if that's the case, how does that help Raspberry Pi in the long run?
It's not our fault!

We do recognise the problem, and do care about it. But we cannot force the distributors to do things, we can only give advice. If they chose not to take advice, the Foundation is stuffed. Contracts say what either party can or cannot do, before anyone says we should jump ship.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”