W. H. Heydt

RS clear cases.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Has anyone received any of RS' clear cases? If so, when was it ordered, when did it arrive and what was the approximate order number?

Especially interested in orders that were for cases only.

Mortimer

Re: RS clear cases.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I ordered a clear case from RS on the 31st August, but have heard nothing since. The email said something about dispatch expected in about 13 weeks, which seems an incredibly long time.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Mortimer wrote:I ordered a clear case from RS on the 31st August, but have heard nothing since. The email said something about dispatch expected in about 13 weeks, which seems an incredibly long time.
That's kind of why I was wondering... I put an order in on 16 July, and the confirmation shows an expected 11 weeks to ship (been about 7 so far) and the only thing I've heard back was that general e-mail about shipping being delayed for *Pis* due to parts shortage (never knew cases contained processors...and ones in short supply, at that).

I was just curious if anyone had *ever* gotten a clear case delivered.

There was some statement floating around about expecting a batch of clear cases around 10 September (next week), IIRC...so I'll see if there is any action then.

Mortimer

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:52 am

Had a notification from Parcel Force that a shipment from RS Components is being sent, and gave a tracking number. It is currently out for delivery to my work address, so it should be waiting for me when I arrive at the office on Monday morning. I have no other orders outstanding with RS, so it must be the case.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

DanielG

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I ordered Raspberry Pi and a clear case from RS on the 21st of June (92xxx) and the dispatch expected in about 10 weeks ( 2 weeks ago). I haven't heard anything exept one email with a new shipping schedule but acording to that it should been sent.

MovingTarget

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Ordered 25th of June (#105055), and have received nothing. Due to the updated Raspberry Pi shipping schedule, I won't be expecting anything from them until the end of the month. I haven't received any additional news about the case or HDMI cable that I ordered along with the Pi. So, hopefully it'll all be there.
<-----Anxious to get started with my own slice of Pi.

Mortimer

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm

The RS clear case has just arrived. Looks OK. Only thing it doesn't have is access to the GPIO.

One odd thing I noticed is that there are countersunk screw holes in the base to secure the case down, which is nice. The 'gotcha' is that you have to be able to get to the bottom of the case to unclip it to open it!
--------------

thsBavR10

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 pm

DanielG wrote:I ordered Raspberry Pi and a clear case from RS on the 21st of June (92xxx) and the dispatch expected in about 10 weeks ( 2 weeks ago). I haven't heard anything exept one email with a new shipping schedule but acording to that it should been sent.
same for me: 21st of June, (905xx), 9 weeks, no answers to mails

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm

From all accounts, RS won't ship until they have everything on the order ready to go, so anyone who ordered a Pi AND a case will be waiting more for the Pi than the case.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Mortimer wrote:The RS clear case has just arrived. Looks OK. Only thing it doesn't have is access to the GPIO.

One odd thing I noticed is that there are countersunk screw holes in the base to secure the case down, which is nice. The 'gotcha' is that you have to be able to get to the bottom of the case to unclip it to open it!
When did you order it?

Mortimer

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:40 pm

31st August.
--------------

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Mortimer wrote:31st August.
Interesting...since I ordered on 16 July and nary a peep (other than the "Pis are delayed due to shortage of SoCs" e-mail.

Mortimer

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I didnt order anything else with it though. I already have the Pi.
--------------

Salamander

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 am

Mortimer wrote:I didnt order anything else with it though. I already have the Pi.
Neither did I, but still waiting since July, and no foreseen delivery date, though.
Just out of curiosity, which RS delegation did you order from, UK maybe?

Mortimer

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 am

Yes UK.
--------------

Salamander

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 am

Mortimer wrote:Yes UK.
Lucky you!! ;)
RS Spain do not even have a delivery date estimation, and I ordered by end of July!! Image
At that time delivery date was September 11th, now we don't know.

Mortimer

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:30 pm

A picture of the case with a RPi fitted.

--------------

Salamander

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Wow! Quite a nice picture, dude! I see now that the actual case is a little bit different from the one depicted at the RS store:
but I don't care, I like that crystal clear finish (wonder if anybody has received a slightly-dark-see-thru version).
BTW, I recently found a video by the guys at DesignSpark showing off the "fitting and removal of the case".

NB: It's a pity your PI has a Hynix memory chip. Heard it's not that good at overclocking.
NB2: Just noticed that your PI's RCA video jack is slightly turned (like the one at my PI). Wonder if the case will be a problem here.

Mortimer

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:20 pm

I haven't used the composite video out, and do not think I am likely to, so I am not that worried. There is a bit of a gap, so it would probably be OK anyway. If it was a problem, I would simply desolder the socket and solder it in a better position.

Not big on the over clocking thing at the moment. I have only been using the RPi to learn Python and general other stuff, where performance isn't really an issue.

I expect I will be buying a rev 2 board at some point anyway.
--------------

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Last night (Sunday) the RS site had dates of 8 October and 5 November for various "colors" of cases. Today, they're back to "despatches within 7 days".

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I have a transparent case from farnell, which is very similar, and was delivered in a few working days.

It too hasn't got a slit for a GPIO cable, but it does have an opening, (funnel) to see the LED's (for the non transparant versions of the case).

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 am

mahjongg wrote:I have a transparent case from farnell, which is very similar, and was delivered in a few working days.

It too hasn't got a slit for a GPIO cable, but it does have an opening, (funnel) to see the LED's (for the non transparant versions of the case).
I have one of those, too, as well a black one. I got them from MCM and it wasn't until I received them that I was able to locate them on the Farnell or Newark web sites.

I agree that, from the web photos, the cases look quite similar.

It's getting to be right about the "expected despatch within" time for my order with RS to ship *their* cases. (11 weeks from 16 July.)

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Update...

On 19 Sept. I sent an e-mail to RS asking about the case shipments.

Today (25 Sept.), I received a reply that they expect to 'despatch [my] orders' during 'the last week of September'.

So...+rep for replying to e-mail.

Now to see if I get a shipping e-mail some time this week.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:53 am

Update, again...

...and we have delivery.

I had made two separate orders with RS just for cases. The first order was to get one of each "color" (white, black, and clear) on 16 July. When it became apparent that there were going to be significant delivery delays, I took the risk of making a second order for several clear cases for a specific project, on 13 August.

*Both* orders arrived today and both appear to have been shipped on 13 September. What I can't figure out is why they appear to have been shipped using Deutsche Post off what appears to be a permit out of Frankfurt.

I will put a case review (comparable to the one I did for the Farnell cases) in the General Forum. For here and now, suffice it to say that these are quite decent cases.

Salamander

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:38 am

Two months since I ordered, and now mine seems to be arriving tomorrow. It seems that there was some problem with my credit card. Nasty thing is that I haven't been notified about that by RS during this time. It's only after 3 calls on my part that they 'discovered' that issue. :evil:

Return to “General discussion”