recantha

Maplin pre-order bundle

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Interesting...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberrypi
£70 for the Pi, 2100mA power supply, 4GB SD with loaded OS, mains powered 4 port hub, keyboard, mouse, wifi nano dongle, HDMI cable.
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

ambi dextrous

Re: Maplin pre-order bundle

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I did a shop around got everything for under 56 GBP but I don't have the nano wi-fi but it's on ebay for a fiver and I had an ethernet cable in with my router

PeterO

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

I would be a bit wary of this bundle.

Has anyone actually got one yet ?

The USB hub they include does not work well with the PI, or at least it didn't a few weeks ago when I tried one. It also tried to power the PI down the USB lead so needs the "cut the red wire" mod doing to it. And despite being AC powered it still took considerable current from the PI's USB socket (I was running my PI from a bench PSU at the time so I could see the 5V current go UP when I plugged devices into the hub. Mine went in the bin after giving up on trying to get it to work.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Jim JKla

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 am

I suspect the selected USB hub is in the bundle as the cheapest rather than the best.

Think Apollo 13 contract to lowest bidder. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

zeroy

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 am

Personally not super impressed by Maplin's offer - if anything there is no option on their site to buy Rpi bare so it makes it no cheap, one of the core idea of Rpi if im not mistaking? With that said I hope they do seel Rpi bare at a later stage.

rmwebs

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 am

If its anything like the pile of <insert here> USB hub that Farnell are pushing, run a mile.

A while ago a member here did a test on the hub. He found that ports would basically be massively underpowered, or massively overpowered, and that the second you plug anything in, the power to other ports vanishes.

You cant go far wrong with one of the more expensive branded ones - I've had a silver 'Trust' one for years and it's got 3 portable hard drives plugged in (each taking up 2 usb ports for power + data).

----

One thing I find idiotic about the expensive Maplin bundle though....there's no case. You cant push this as a complete bundle if the owner then has to fork out another ~£15 for a case.

Jim JKla

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 am

Or even more for a good USB hub
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

Max

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 am

Does the wifi stick even work with the stock version of Raspbian?

Looks like a RTL8188CUS based one, which needs the special kernel module posted in another thread. While they no doubt will ship the module on the preloaded SD card, wifi will likely break the moment you update.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

The Foundation will be checking and verifying all the peripherals in the bundle (Maplin have already done this work themselves, but we wanted to be doubly sure) for compatibility before it goes out to customers, so you don't run a danger of buying a set with parts that don't work.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

VamonosPest

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

REALLY wish I had known about this before I foolishly gave my money to RS. I spent about £70 as I wanted all those accessories. Now I have nothing :?

abishur

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:18 pm

VamonosPest wrote: Now I have nothing :?
Well A) This is a pre-order bundle which means you would still have "nothing" even if you ordered it today and B) The way you say it, you act as if some con artist scammed you and now your out cash with no product *ever* coming your way. Which is ridiculous. You're on a wait list, RS is a huge multi-national company who will be providing goods for the money you gave them. Waiting certainly it the pits, but its hardly as dire as you make it sound ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

VamonosPest

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:21 pm

abishur wrote:
Well A) This is a pre-order bundle which means you would still have "nothing" even if you ordered it today and B) The way you say it, you act as if some con artist scammed you and now your out cash with no product *ever* coming your way. Which is ridiculous. You're on a wait list, RS is a huge multi-national company who will be providing goods for the money you gave them. Waiting certainly it the pits, but its hardly as dire as you make it sound ;-)
Well perhaps Maplin will be able to be accurate with the delivery date, and will actually respond if this turns out to be wrong or the customer wants help. Which would be a massive improvement over RS.

recantha

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:28 pm

And just think: the great thing about Maplin is that you can just go into a store and talk to a human being in the flesh, as it were.
I wouldn't worry about the pre-order delay (and it _did_ say 'pre-order' quite clearly) - with this delay they'll be sure that everything they supply in the bundle will work together. In fact, they'll have to because otherwise they will be caught under the Statutory Rights laws about a product being "fit for purpose". By selling it as a bundle, they have to guarantee that it will work as a single product.

--
Mike
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

rmwebs

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 pm

pcsuppliesuk wrote:Kits on eBay now, no wifi or kb or hub, but with 8gb card and Case for £54
AKA "I'm selling a kit on eBay".

You've made 2 posts on the forums so far. Both have been adverts. Give it a rest.

abishur

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 pm

VamonosPest wrote:
abishur wrote:
Well perhaps Maplin will be able to be accurate with the delivery date, and will actually respond if this turns out to be wrong or the customer wants help. Which would be a massive improvement over RS.
To be fair, both vendors have had crap load of start up issues when the Pi went viral which has completely derailed *both* RS and Farnell's estimated delivery dates. It stinks, but they're both just now getting cleared of the massive back logs they had. Also, Maplin is simply purchasing the Pi from one of the two vendors so in the end it's still relies on Farnell and RS and therefore subject to the same delays as any direct purchase ;-)

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 pm

abishur wrote: To be fair, both vendors have had crap load of start up issues when the Pi went viral which has completely derailed *both* RS and Farnell's estimated delivery dates. It stinks, but they're both just now getting cleared of the massive back logs they had. Also, Maplin is simply purchasing the Pi from one of the two vendors so in the end it's still relies on Farnell and RS and therefore subject to the same delays as any direct purchase ;-)
First part...yes, agreed. Both RS and Farnell got blindsided pretty badly.

At present, Newark (US sub of Farnell) has the web site set up to show number in stock (usually 0), and a "check on stock" that tells when they expect to have more to ship to incoming orders (currently..mid-October). RS just gives an estimated shipping time of about 15 weeks.

I think there are two things going on... The first is that the backlog *isn't* going down, at least not very fast. Unless there is a drastic change, RS will soon be implying dispatches next year...which is not a hopeful sign (if you want to get a Pi...it's great, of course, for market impact of the Pi...they're being sold as fast--or faster--than they can be manufactured).

The other is...given the disparity in dispatch delays between Farnell and RS, together with some comments from a couple of months ago about the Foundation helping some teachers get batches of Pis from RS (and please note that I am NOT objecting to that as it is entirely consistent wth the Foundations goals), plus the statements that RS' primary business is wholesale, I have to say that it looks like a lot of Pis are going into a "secondary" distribution channel....e.g. Maplin.

Maplin *probably* set up a contract with RS (I'm guessing with RS...above data makes it more likely than with Farnell) guaranteeing certain delivery levels, and that--I think--is driving RS' longer dispatch times.

On top of all that, given the price restrictions on the Pi, Maplin is probably planning to make their profit on the rest of the stuff in the bundle...

liz

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:25 pm

A guy came up to Eben and me in the street today in Edinburgh to say hi; turns out he works at a Scottish Maplin, and he was so enthusiastic about the whole Maplin/Pi thing that I just wanted to give him a big hug. (He also had a very fine T-shirt. Hello Maplin Guy, if you're here.)

I'm very fond of Maplin; they've been giving me brilliant, friendly, non-patronising customer service in their Cambridge branches for years, and they employ some really lovely people.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

VamonosPest

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 am

When you go on the RS Components site it now says:

"You can now place your order for as many Raspberry Pi boards as you need."

They are actively implying they now have good stocks in order to get more sales when actually they have yet to fulfil orders from months ago and aren't even replying to most customer's email. That is a disgrace and a con.

abishur

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:15 am

VamonosPest wrote:When you go on the RS Components site it now says:

They are actively implying they now have good stocks in order to get more sales when actually they have yet to fulfil orders from months ago and aren't even replying to most customer's email. That is a disgrace and a con.
Respectfully, you're spewing absolutely incorrect nonsense. Please go back and read this poston the front page. Furthermore while we do allow venting and complaints on the forum as they can be cathartic for the individual and informative for the reps, outright attacks on the suppliers will not be tolerated. This is a warning.

VamonosPest

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:56 am

abishur wrote:
VamonosPest wrote:When you go on the RS Components site it now says:

Respectfully, you're spewing absolutely incorrect nonsense. Please go back and read this poston the front page. Furthermore while we do allow venting and complaints on the forum as they can be cathartic for the individual and informative for the reps, outright attacks on the suppliers will not be tolerated. This is a warning.
That link isn't for the RS website though is it? It's for this website. Which part of what I said do you think is incorrect?

abishur

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:33 am

VamonosPest wrote:
Abishur wrote:
That link isn't for the RS website though is it? It's for this website. Which part of what I said do you think is incorrect?
The link is to a post explaining the availability of the Pi to bulk orders on both websites. Your post is insinuating foul play regarding individual vs bulk item fulfillment, which the link I provided clearly explains is unequivocally false. Furthermore, you' don't have a leg to stand on in stating that they "aren't even replying to most customer's e-mail." They may not have responded to your e-mail yet, there are even people on this forum who are in the same boat, but you have no statistics on their actual reply rates. Again, this isn't some fly by night company, it's an extremely reputable, well established, multi-national company. While I'm extremely sympathetic to *everyone's* plight, I do draw the line at baseless accusations.

There are plenty of threads you can join if you want to add your +1 to I'm mad at company X, but this is getting far too derailed in this thread so please cease.

recantha

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:46 am

With both Maplin and Amazon now advertising the sale of the Pi... It seems that it's becoming much more mainstream... Not sure whether that's a good thing or not as there's indications that the makers of the Pi still see it as a developer's toy for those who know what they're doing. On the other hand, I can only applaud getting it more into the public consciousness.

I think the big test for the Pi is to be able to go into a shop on the UK high street and just buy one. Perhaps Maplin won't be far off that by the end of the year. Just think. You burn out your Pi, need a new one, and you can go and buy it at your local store. How cool would that be?

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 am

The numbers we need to see posted by RS & Farnell is the backlog number and how many sent by country.

I suspect we will not see this as they will claim business sensitivity.

The upside of delayed delivery is it does slow down the number of noob support messages we are posting here.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:14 am

Indeed, those numbers are confidential, and TBH, why do people NEED to see them apart from simple curiosity?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:16 am

When it comes to curiosity I'm a bit of a dead cat :D (Cheshire)

Although quantity on back order may influence where you place your order in the supermarket you want to join the shortest queue. ;)

Return to “General discussion”