shaulkr
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 6:58 am

OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 7:13 am

I saw someone asking whether it could be done, and I just had to do it.

I compiled PearPC (a PowerPC Mac emulator) for the Raspberry Pi and installed Mac OS X 10.3. It took about an hour to boot, and then:
Image

According to PearPC's counters, the Pi runs about 1.2 million emulated instructions per second. For reference, my PC (an E6300) runs 50-60 million instructions per second.

The thing I liked best about it was that it was no different than any Linux PC. apt-get install dependencies, configure, make, make install, on a $35 computer that can run on AA batteries. Amazing!

Cylon
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:02 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 am

Any instructions for pear pc and getting this going , not seen pear pc before ?....
shaulkr wrote:I saw someone asking whether it could be done, and I just had to do it.

I compiled PearPC (a PowerPC Mac emulator) for the Raspberry Pi and installed Mac OS X 10.3. It took about an hour to boot, and then:
Image

According to PearPC's counters, the Pi runs about 1.2 million emulated instructions per second. For reference, my PC (an E6300) runs 50-60 million instructions per second.

The thing I liked best about it was that it was no different than any Linux PC. apt-get install dependencies, configure, make, make install, on a $35 computer that can run on AA batteries. Amazing!

shaulkr
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 6:58 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Cylon wrote:Any instructions for pear pc and getting this going , not seen pear pc before ?....
PearPC is a relatively old emulator. I had to use it because modern versions of OSX (those that run on x86, and thus on QEMU) require a lot more RAM than the Pi has.

It's extremely slow. It took an hour (as in 60 minutes) to boot, and it's definitely not usable.

If you really want to do it, there are many install guides out there.

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Sun May 01, 2016 6:39 pm

I'll try to compile it on the Pi 3 and see if it is any bit more usable. I'm not the best at compiling but OP makes it look straightforward enough.

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Tue May 03, 2016 5:57 am

I was able to compile and install a fork that is much newer but I couldn't get the .deb made. I'm gonna try OS X 10.5 just to see if it will work tomorrow. The form I'm looking at is still in development so who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky pushing the envelope. My RPi 3 is over clocked to the max.

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Wed May 04, 2016 6:45 am

Okay I got everything compiled and tried. Even though the github is fairly active there is zero info on emulating Intel (though the commit comments talk about fixing issues all the way up to OSX 10.10.

I'll put off being a hero for now and try a traditional approach. Also it complains about no JIT compiler. Is that something I can correct?

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 14662
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Wed May 04, 2016 8:27 am

mascondante wrote:Okay I got everything compiled and tried. Even though the github is fairly active there is zero info on emulating Intel (though the commit comments talk about fixing issues all the way up to OSX 10.10.

I'll put off being a hero for now and try a traditional approach. Also it complains about no JIT compiler. Is that something I can correct?
The Original Poster stated OS X 10.3 which runs on PPC architecture, nothing to do with WinTel based OS X :?
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Wed May 04, 2016 9:29 pm

I misread what was going on in the Github. It is still PPC. Right now I'm wondering if I can get JIT compiling working with an ARM CPU.

Got the install started today by the way. It is unbelievably slow so far. I would hope JIT would get it from unusable to annoyingly slow at least.

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Thu May 05, 2016 11:40 pm

OS X 10.4.6 is go using PearPC 0.6pre

Image

tweak42
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:16 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 am

Just want to say watching this is amusing in a super geeky way. :ugeek:
Like that guy who got win95 running on the apple watch..... :lol:

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Fri May 06, 2016 2:26 am

tweak42 wrote:Just want to say watching this is amusing in a super geeky way. :ugeek:
Like that guy who got win95 running on the apple watch..... :lol:
I enjoy doing unconventional things. I am a weirdo and proud of it lol

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Sat May 07, 2016 1:53 am

I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to get the network connection working. I went in what appears to be the totally wrong direction and all I know right now is 3c59x module doesn't exist and the networking instructions are not satisfactory for a first timer with very little understanding of how a VPN tunnel works on Linux. If someone wants to read and break it down to stupid level that would be awesome but for now I have a large headache and feel rather discouraged.

mascondante
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Re: OS X 10.3 on a Pi

Fri May 20, 2016 1:14 am

Well latest kernel update seemed to fail breaking my install. The good news is if I feel suicidal enough to try again I can log and post all the dependencies I had to go find that weren't mentioned in the PearPC build instructions.

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], HawaiianPi, stubright and 35 guests