ProgrammerPi

Re: Wine on ARM processors!

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I"ve just found a page on wine HQ that because windows 8 is being used on ARM processors they are fully up for making wine run on ARM processors, although of which architecture is unknown…

If you want to read it for yourself the link is here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

Also it has a to do list and it is being checked of as the porting goes along. Im gonna keep an eye on that.

Also, i found a rather interesting forum where someone is trying to port wine over to his ARM computer! This may help you if you would like to yourself. I might try it when i get my R-Pi:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewto.....38;start=0

EDIT: If you would like, there is a section on the 1st link that tells you what you wouldhave to do to make wine on an ARM processor use x86 programs.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Err. do not expect (ARM) WINE to be able to execute x86 (windows) code, that will only lead to disappointments.

ghans

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:49 am

I seriously doubt that this QEMU low-lewel translation mojo will ever work . Perhaps on A8 1 Ghz Processors - but on a RPi ? Never. You should look into normal emulation - loading Win95 into Qemu or similiar.
Interesting enough , you can read the problems with this approach
in the DARWINE archives - they were trying exactly this type of thing.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

teh_orph

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:17 am

If they do eventually get Win8 ARM WINE going, it will almost definitely be for the ARMv7 (a) ISA as I'm pretty sure that this is what MS are targetting. As WINE is just emulates the API - leaving the actual code untouched - once an unsupported instruction is run the program will grind to a halt.

Return to “General discussion”